PoP

Default Shed Fixing

I've just bought and installed a new garden shed for my back garden -
the plastic variety made by Keter, 8x6x7 ft.

Now I've got to fix it to the ground so that high winds don't make it
take off.

I've mounted the shed on paving slabs, these having been laid on a
flat lawn. One thought I had was to bolt the shed to the paving slabs
because they are pretty damned heavy and unlikely to get tossed around
in the wind. However I'm not sure that this would be good enough, so
the other alternative is to go thru the paving slabs into the soil
underneath. This could involve putting some concreted holes into the
ground which can take fixing points.

It's no problem for me to move the shed to carry out this work, and
then put the shed back.

Thoughts anyone?

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk
P.R.Brady

PoP wrote:
[...]

Why not just put a few paving slabs inside? Works fine.
Phil

--
Phil Brady
Information Services

Tel +44 (0)1248 382960
Fax +44 (0)1248 383826

Tony

"P.R.Brady" wrote in message ...
Now I've got to fix it to the ground so that high winds don't make it
take off.

You may be on the wrong track there. I have a 20ft by 10ft timber shed
full of benches and tools, but it still bounced like a bouncy castle
in high winds. I thought that it might be due to the aerofoil effect
from the sloping roof: the overhead pressure is less than the
internal, and underneath, causing a lifting effect.

I blocked off the underside, left windows open and have had no further
problems, even in the most severe weather; and we've had a fair bit of
that in the 15 years since I did it.

Of course, yours is smaller and lighter so may need additional tying
down.

Tony.

Omit cymru to email.
PoP

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:11:01 +0100, "P.R.Brady"
wrote:

Why not just put a few paving slabs inside? Works fine.

I got a reply from Keter today, after sending them an email last night
(very good service!).

Basically their support guy says that bolting the shed to 8 paving
slabs is fine, so job done.

Now I just have to wait for the typhoon season.....

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk

shed electrics Matt Pearson UK diy 7 January 20th 04 09:32 PM
existing base for garden shed....break it? john west++++ UK diy 2 October 9th 03 01:47 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM
Spur feed to garden shed... Me UK diy 4 August 6th 03 10:13 AM