Default water hammer

A friend has a problem with water hammer, that she showed me today. It's
the usual one-off "thump" when the tap is turned off.

The arrangement seems to be that there is no hot tank, the hot water being
supplied on demand (and presumably at mains pressure) from a combi boiler.
The system was installed as part of the central heating system about a
year ago. There is an upstairs header tank in the loft which I assume
feeds the cold supply to the bath, wash basin and toilet. I suspect there
used to be a water tank with immersion heater before the new system was
installed.

The water hammer occurs every time that the hot tap is turned off - bath,
wash basin or downstairs sink. It doesn't occur at anytime the cold water
is used. I don't think that it occurs when the cold tap is used in the
kitchen. The kitchen taps go through a mixer and this is hard to turn off
suddenly in one go. The bath and wash basin taps are mixer taps with a
single lever that has a left/right movement for mixing and an up/down
movement to turn the water on/off. This can cause the water to stop
immediately.

Although this only seems to occur from the hot taps, I assume that it also
occurs on the cold water main taps (I forgot to ask if it happened with
the washing machine.

She called in a plumber who replaced the ball valve in the header tank,
but that made no difference (I'm not sure why that was changed, given that
the it happens from other sources, but I assume that the plumber knew what
he was doing.

Any suggestions as to what could be done?

Thanks

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)
BigWallop

wrote in message
[...]

Try holding on to the pipework where the noise seems to be coming from.
This is usually under the kitchen sink for some reason, could be because
this area is normally boxed in and no one gets a chance to fit pipe clips.
You should feel the thump when the tap is turned off. If you can feel the
thump, then the pipe needs a clip sited on the bend where it turns along the
direction of the floor, or on the vertical section up to the tap itself.
These rattles are common and clipping along the parts that reach the taps
helps a lot. Good luck with it.

John Rumm

Any suggestions as to what could be done?

If there are no obvious unsupported pipes floating about, then the
quickest solution is to fit a shock arrester.

See part number 11355 he

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/109.asp

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks for the comments.

I have spoken to the friend again and apparently they've already been in
touch with the gas people who installed the central heating etc and (I
assume it was after a visit) they said it's nothing to do with them and
suggest that they chase up the people who subsequently fitted a new
bathroom suite in.

I don't know if those people are the same as the one that fitted a new
ball cock in an effort to stop it.

I hope to be going round there on Saturday, so will try and get more
information/check things out then.

Roger

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM