Rick Hughes

Default You have to be CORGI regiregistered to work on gas?

There have been frequent threads on this group relating to CORGI .. Usually
with the result that the requirement is for being Competent to undertake the
work is all that is required and CORGI registration while one way of deeming
competency is not the only way.

Heard the recent spate of adverts on the radio where CORGI are stating that
illegal for anybody to work on a gas supply unless they are CORGI
registered, and encouraging listeners to phone in and shop anyone who is
working on Gas and is not a CORGI member.

This changes the view . as their claim would not be allowed by Advertising
standard Authority unless it could be substantiated, has the position moved
and that CORGI's claim is now the legal position.

Rick

Al Reynolds

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
There have been frequent threads on this group relating to CORGI ..
Usually
with the result that the requirement is for being Competent to undertake
the
work is all that is required and CORGI registration while one way of
deeming
competency is not the only way.

Heard the recent spate of adverts on the radio where CORGI are stating
that
illegal for anybody to work on a gas supply unless they are CORGI
registered, and encouraging listeners to phone in and shop anyone who is
working on Gas and is not a CORGI member.

This changes the view . as their claim would not be allowed by Advertising
standard Authority unless it could be substantiated, has the position
moved
and that CORGI's claim is now the legal position.

Depends on what you mean by "work". Position has
always been that you need to be CORGI if you are
being paid, for the work. Otherwise, you just need
to be competent.

The ASA do not pre-vet adverts. As such adverts are
regularly misleading, if not completely untruthful, but
the advertisers often get away with it.

Al Reynolds

Steve Jones

Rick Hughes wrote:
and encouraging listeners to phone in and shop anyone who is
working on Gas and is not a CORGI member.

Surely they mean someone who is working for profit. I mean you wouldn't
phone in and shop yourself would you!

Steve
Tony Bryer

In article ,
Steve Jones wrote:
Surely they mean someone who is working for profit. I mean you
wouldn't phone in and shop yourself would you!

Or a mate is doing the work for you cash-in-hand. So although the ad
might be argued to be factually incorrect, it would in practice only
pull in the people they are looking for, i.e. non-CORGI people who
are plying for trade.

IMM

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:

and encouraging listeners to phone in and shop anyone who is
working on Gas and is not a CORGI member.

Surely they mean someone who is working for profit. I mean you wouldn't
phone in and shop yourself would you!

There is an authority that deals with radio ads. They should be contacted.

RichardS

[...]

This probably doesn't change anything - it's unlikely to be at odds with the
stuff that is stated on CORGI's website.

The ad might be misleading, though technically acccurate if "work on" is
interpreted as "do work on another's supply/appliances in the course of your
trade".

Whilst it might be possible to complain, it might not be in the interest of
gas-competent DIYers to do so, ie don't prod the gimp, so to speak. If the
ad was referred to the ASA and it was found to be misleading, then this
would spark medja interest. "Loophole in the law allows DIY bodgers to
tinker with gas appliances. Millions at risk. Stop this lethal loophole"
would be the translated headline in the Maily Dail, Sun, et al.

Part P shows that the current government would NOT be a friend to the
competent DIYer, and may well act to change the situation.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andrew Gabriel

Actually, I have no problem with the notices in B&Q and other
things like this which say you shouldn't do gas work unless
you are CORGI registered or whatever. That probably puts
many people off who really shouldn't be doing gas work.
Those who are competent to do it themselves will know what
the law actually says, as that's one part of being competent.

I haven't heard the advert, but no, I probably wouldn't
complain about it. One way to fix it would be to change the
law to match the advert, and I wouldn't want that to happen,
and wouldn't put it past 'them'.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Stanton

This changes the view . as their claim would not be allowed by Advertising
standard Authority unless it could be substantiated, has the position
moved and that CORGI's claim is now the legal position.

Rick

I don't think thats strictly true, plenty of companies have been hauled
over the coals after putting out adverts which were not correct. You have
to complain first.

Dave

Rick Dipper

The ASA do not pre-vet adverts. As such adverts are
regularly misleading, if not completely untruthful, but
the advertisers often get away with it.

Back to good old Dyson ..........

BigWallop

The optimum wording here is "Supply". To work on the gas supply usually
needs CORGI registration. But what about an unregistered plumber in his own
house? Or someone who has a lot of plumbing experience in their own home?
If they are competant at making gas tight joints in pipework, then why can't
they do their own gas?

The CORGI registration is for people who want to make profit from the
instalation of gas fueled equipment. If a joiner came to me and said that
he was going to fit my gas cooker back to the meter, then I'd want some kind
of guarantee that he was competant in doing that particular type of work.
Wouldn't you?

Al Reynolds

"IMM" wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote:
If they are competant at making gas tight joints in
pipework, then why can't they do their own gas?

They can.

Isn't it great when people answer rhetorical questions?

waits

raden

In message , Rick Hughes
writes
There have been frequent threads on this group relating to CORGI .. Usually
with the result that the requirement is for being Competent to undertake the
work is all that is required and CORGI registration while one way of deeming
competency is not the only way.

Heard the recent spate of adverts on the radio where CORGI are stating that
illegal for anybody to work on a gas supply unless they are CORGI
registered, and encouraging listeners to phone in and shop anyone who is
working on Gas and is not a CORGI member.

This changes the view . as their claim would not be allowed by Advertising
standard Authority unless it could be substantiated, has the position moved
and that CORGI's claim is now the legal position.

It will remain that way until challenged - i.e. peoples' perception will
be that their assertion is correct as any retraction would, to be sure,
reach many less people than their original claim.

It's not the first time it's occurred, is it

I complained to the BBC about false reporting on the same subject a
couple of years ago, and, listen to this, "You should only buy parts
from CORGI registered merchants". I gave up in the end.

--
geoff
G&M

"raden" wrote in message
This changes the view . as their claim would not be allowed by

Advertising
standard Authority unless it could be substantiated, has the position

moved
and that CORGI's claim is now the legal position.

It will remain that way until challenged - i.e. peoples' perception will
be that their assertion is correct as any retraction would, to be sure,
reach many less people than their original claim.

It's not the first time it's occurred, is it

I complained to the BBC about false reporting on the same subject a
couple of years ago, and, listen to this, "You should only buy parts
from CORGI registered merchants". I gave up in the end.

The Sunday Times keeps saying that with the new Part P only a NEICC (or
whatever it is) electrician can do any work on your system. I've e-mailed
them umpteen times but they don't seem to listen.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:03:05 -0000, "G&M"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

I expect that NICEIC told them that.

It isn't true. Take a look on the ODPM web site and all the info is
there.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

G&M

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

I know. But 2.5 million ST readers probably don't read uk.diy so somebody
is going to be raking it in for a while

MBQ

"G&M" wrote in message ...
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

So now you know not to believe them (or at least take a large dose of
csepticism) when they say we're all going to die from global warming,
passive smoking, MMR, salt or myriad other scares...

MBQ
G&M

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...
It isn't true. Take a look on the ODPM web site and all the info is
there.

I know. But 2.5 million ST readers probably don't read uk.diy so

somebody
is going to be raking it in for a while

So now you know not to believe them (or at least take a large dose of
csepticism) when they say we're all going to die from global warming,
passive smoking, MMR, salt or myriad other scares...

Nah. We're all going to die from rabies carried by 'cuddly' foxes.