Sumgod

Default Flashing an oak timber framed building?

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this and - if you do - make
a contribution.

We're in the process of having a 16th century timber framed building
completely rebuilt (after a disasterous fire!). There seems to be
uncertainty among builders, project manager and the conservation officer on
the best method of applying lead flashing to a timber framed building.
flashing needs applying to where additions meet the main building, e.g. the
porch. Is there a better method than simply cutting into oak beams and
inserting lead (what should this be caulked/sealed with?) and forming a lead
upstand and covering with lime in the panels?

Thanks a lot - Tony

Anna Kettle

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:49:28 -0000, "Sumgod"
wrote:

We're in the process of having a 16th century timber framed building
completely rebuilt (after a disasterous fire!). There seems to be
uncertainty among builders, project manager and the conservation officer on
the best method of applying lead flashing to a timber framed building.
flashing needs applying to where additions meet the main building, e.g. the
porch. Is there a better method than simply cutting into oak beams and
inserting lead (what should this be caulked/sealed with?) and forming a lead
upstand and covering with lime in the panels?

I don't know the answer but I don't think inserting lead into oak
timbers is a good idea. I recently had repairs done to a similar age
of house and my timber framer told me that it will tend to trap
moisture and rot the timber so any flashing should be spaced away from
the timber by for example a brick

I suggest you phone the Society fro Protection of Ancient Buildings
free helpline (number on their webpage www.spab.org.uk) It will take a
while to get through cos the helpline is busy, but persist. Your
conservation officer should be happy with whatever they say cos SPAB
are a reputable organisation

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
The Natural Philosopher

Sumgod wrote:

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this and - if you do - make
a contribution.

We're in the process of having a 16th century timber framed building
completely rebuilt (after a disasterous fire!). There seems to be
uncertainty among builders, project manager and the conservation officer on
the best method of applying lead flashing to a timber framed building.
flashing needs applying to where additions meet the main building, e.g. the
porch. Is there a better method than simply cutting into oak beams and
inserting lead (what should this be caulked/sealed with?) and forming a lead
upstand and covering with lime in the panels?

Thanks a lot - Tony

I read Annas response, and she makes a valid point.

Howevr I am slighly at a loss as to what is being talked about here -
you have what? and oak post or something, part of the structure, and
want to add a blockwork wall to it?

And the flashing is to go between the two?

Is tehoverall building oak framed with exposed frame? Or is it rendered
over (as e.g. old wattle an daub type structure) ?

I think there as many answers to the question a there are conservation
officers, but a little more detail wuld help suggest some.