andrewpreece

"Jeff Allen" wrote in message
I need to trim a few mm off the bottom edge of some doors around the
house in order to stop them scraping on the carpet. They are of the
wooden hollow core variety. Do I just use an ordinary woodworking plane
for this task? Is there much skill needed?

Jeff

Have you considered getting rising hinges and leaving the door the height it
is?

Andy.

Ian Stirling

Jeff Allen wrote:
I need to trim a few mm off the bottom edge of some doors around the
house in order to stop them scraping on the carpet. They are of the
wooden hollow core variety. Do I just use an ordinary woodworking plane
for this task? Is there much skill needed?

No.
You'll want to clamp the edges with scrap timber, as otherwise you may
lose splinters off the edges.
TonyK

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Jeff Allen wrote:
I need to trim a few mm off the bottom edge of some doors around the
house in order to stop them scraping on the carpet. They are of the
wooden hollow core variety. Do I just use an ordinary woodworking plane
for this task? Is there much skill needed?

No.
You'll want to clamp the edges with scrap timber, as otherwise you may
lose splinters off the edges.

Any watch out for the staples used to hold the wood to the MDF. It'll ruin a
decent plane.

Frank Erskine

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:52:21 +0000, Jeff Allen
wrote:

I need to trim a few mm off the bottom edge of some doors around the
house in order to stop them scraping on the carpet. They are of the
wooden hollow core variety. Do I just use an ordinary woodworking plane
for this task? Is there much skill needed?

Plane inwards from each corner to avoid splitting the rather weak
edges of the door.

Remember to draw a line to which you wish to plane, preferably on both
faces of the door, to keep your cut nice and square.

--
Frank Erskine

Chris J Dixon

Ian Stirling wrote:

Jeff Allen wrote:
I need to trim a few mm off the bottom edge of some doors around the
house in order to stop them scraping on the carpet. They are of the
wooden hollow core variety. Do I just use an ordinary woodworking plane
for this task? Is there much skill needed?

No.
You'll want to clamp the edges with scrap timber, as otherwise you may
lose splinters off the edges.

Be careful that there is enough material left to trim, if it has
been previously trimmed close to the limit, you may have to take
material off the top instead, and move the hinges.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
stuart noble

Remember to draw a line to which you wish to plane, preferably on both
faces of the door, to keep your cut nice and square.

Use a jig with a circular saw. No skill required, quick, and deadly
accurate.

Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...

Remember to draw a line to which you wish to plane, preferably on both
faces of the door, to keep your cut nice and square.

Use a jig with a circular saw. No skill required, quick, and deadly
accurate.

..........and one frayed edge.

Besides if the amount to be removed is 3mm or less it can be hard to
control a circular saw
--
Paul Mc Cann
Ian Stirling

stuart noble wrote:

Remember to draw a line to which you wish to plane, preferably on both
faces of the door, to keep your cut nice and square.

Use a jig with a circular saw. No skill required, quick, and deadly
accurate.

With two bits of scrap wood clamped to the sides of the door - unless
a fine-toothed blade is used, and probably even then.
stuart noble

Paul Mc Cann wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

Remember to draw a line to which you wish to plane, preferably on both
faces of the door, to keep your cut nice and square.

Use a jig with a circular saw. No skill required, quick, and deadly
accurate.

.........and one frayed edge.

The frayed edge is neither here nor there if the cut is accurate and 90 degs
to the face. If it tears up badly, then IME either the wood is damp, or
the blade is blunt.

Besides if the amount to be removed is 3mm or less it can be hard to
control a circular saw

The saw is not hard to control at all. The inner edge of the baseplate
follows the jig so you cannot overcut, and the weight of the saw is always
on the workpiece. Even a tapered cut 3mm down to zero is a doddle, really it
is. The method has often been described on here but I wouldn't bother buying
anything fancy to achieve it when you can just pin or clamp a batten.
Once you know the distance from tooth edge to baseplate edge (and ideally
cut youself a "spacer" of that size for future use), you can get pretty
amazing accuracy.

Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...

Paul Mc Cann wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

Remember to draw a line to which you wish to plane, preferably on both
faces of the door, to keep your cut nice and square.
Use a jig with a circular saw. No skill required, quick, and deadly
accurate.

.........and one frayed edge.

The frayed edge is neither here nor there if the cut is accurate and 90 degs
to the face. If it tears up badly, then IME either the wood is damp, or
the blade is blunt.

or more likely, one is working on the average panel door with el cheapo
ply and egg box inner core. Been there, done that.

Besides if the amount to be removed is 3mm or less it can be hard to
control a circular saw

The saw is not hard to control at all. The inner edge of the baseplate
follows the jig so you cannot overcut, and the weight of the saw is always
on the workpiece. Even a tapered cut 3mm down to zero is a doddle, really it
is. The method has often been described on here but I wouldn't bother buying
anything fancy to achieve it when you can just pin or clamp a batten.
Once you know the distance from tooth edge to baseplate edge (and ideally
cut youself a "spacer" of that size for future use), you can get pretty
amazing accuracy.

Beg to differ. Despite the presence of the batten if the saw deviates at
all it can be the devil to get it to start cutting to the line again
when trying to remove a small amount. Possibly/probably the quality of
the saw will have an effect i.e. B Q against Festo or similar
--
Paul Mc Cann
stuart noble

Paul Mc Cann wrote in message ...
Beg to differ. Despite the presence of the batten if the saw deviates at
all it can be the devil to get it to start cutting to the line again
when trying to remove a small amount. Possibly/probably the quality of
the saw will have an effect i.e. B Q against Festo or similar

With the whole of the baseplate following the batten, it's difficult to
imagine how a sharp blade would wander. By the time the blade starts cutting
it's already been following the batten for 4" or so, and should be perfectly
parallel to it. If it did wander, you'd simply start the cut again.
The only problem I've had is that on some saws you have to lift the guard a
fraction to get the cut started.

mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
New Front Door(s) Bruce Home Repair 4 December 10th 03 12:37 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts David Jensen Woodworking 9 August 6th 03 04:15 AM