John Rumm

Jan Wysocki wrote:

The despicable spammer has reminded me of something that I've been
wondering about. 30 or so years ago, Draper tools were the bottom
of the barrel. Companies like Gedore, Bedford, Kamasa, Record,
Marples and even goverment surplus handtools were of higher
quality than Draper. Nowadays there seem to be several levels below
Draper. Does this mean that Draper has improved - maybe no longer
bashed out of poor quality steel by indifferent workers in the third
world? Or are there just a lot of even worse monkey metal tools
out there?

I was under the impression that Draper was simply a "brand" these days.
They badge other peoples stuff. Hence quality is very variable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jan Wysocki wrote:
The despicable spammer has reminded me of something that I've been
wondering about. 30 or so years ago, Draper tools were the bottom
of the barrel. Companies like Gedore, Bedford, Kamasa, Record,
Marples and even goverment surplus handtools were of higher
quality than Draper.

The few government surplus tools I've had have been of excellent quality.
Maybe not a posh finish, but for some things that doesn't matter.

Nowadays there seem to be several levels below
Draper. Does this mean that Draper has improved - maybe no longer
bashed out of poor quality steel by indifferent workers in the third
world? Or are there just a lot of even worse monkey metal tools
out there?

I find their stuff rather variable. Not surprising given that it's all
bought in and re-badged.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Dingley

On 28 Oct 2004 17:48:27 -0700, Jan Wysocki wrote:

30 or so years ago, Draper tools were the bottom
of the barrel.

The barrel is a _lot_ deeper these days.

Draper stuff is generally OK. Not nice, but it isn't rubbish and the
price is reasonable. I'd rather buy Draper than Britool - I can live
with no surface polishing and rubbish flakey plating, but I object
paying Facom's prices for it.
--
Smert' spamionam
Martin Wilson

On 28 Oct 2004 17:48:27 -0700, Jan Wysocki wrote:

The despicable spammer has reminded me of something that I've been
wondering about. 30 or so years ago, Draper tools were the bottom
of the barrel. Companies like Gedore, Bedford, Kamasa, Record,
Marples and even goverment surplus handtools were of higher
quality than Draper. Nowadays there seem to be several levels below
Draper. Does this mean that Draper has improved - maybe no longer
bashed out of poor quality steel by indifferent workers in the third
world? Or are there just a lot of even worse monkey metal tools
out there?

I bought a bicycle toolkit which was about £35 including a chain
degreaser/oiler bonus item but noticed some places were selling it
rebranded as Draper for £70-90. It looked identical and had to be the
same actual product. Try to buy the same product with generic/unknown
branding and you'll save yourself ££££sss

:::Jerry::::

"Martin Wilson" wrote in message
On 28 Oct 2004 17:48:27 -0700, Jan Wysocki wrote:

snip

I bought a bicycle toolkit which was about £35 including a chain
degreaser/oiler bonus item but noticed some places were selling it
rebranded as Draper for £70-90. It looked identical and had to be the
same actual product. Try to buy the same product with generic/unknown
branding and you'll save yourself ££££sss

Or cost yourself even more when the cheep set break, only looking like the
more expensive set whilst being made out of monkey metal...