Allan

Default Isolating or Gate valve?

As part of the on going saga of fitting the new en-suite I have added
isolating valves to all the pipes. The only thing is that I notice that
even when fully open the flow rate of the taps isn't what it was before
there were any valves. This has led me to be concerned that my power shower
will also be "downgraded" due to the smaller bore through the isolating
valves. I am considering changing the valves on the shower supply pipes to
gate valves (the ones with the hand wheel). Is this a good move or am I
just talking bollox?

Al.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Allan" writes:
As part of the on going saga of fitting the new en-suite I have added
isolating valves to all the pipes. The only thing is that I notice that
even when fully open the flow rate of the taps isn't what it was before
there were any valves. This has led me to be concerned that my power shower
will also be "downgraded" due to the smaller bore through the isolating
valves. I am considering changing the valves on the shower supply pipes to
gate valves (the ones with the hand wheel). Is this a good move or am I
just talking bollox?

Gate valves are not good at isolating. What you want are full-bore
versions of the valves you are currently using, which normally have
a lever arm on them rather than a screwdriver slot.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Allan wrote:
As part of the on going saga of fitting the new en-suite I have added
isolating valves to all the pipes. The only thing is that I notice that
even when fully open the flow rate of the taps isn't what it was before
there were any valves. This has led me to be concerned that my power
shower will also be "downgraded" due to the smaller bore through the
isolating valves. I am considering changing the valves on the shower
supply pipes to gate valves (the ones with the hand wheel). Is this a
good move or am I just talking bollox?

You need full flow isolation valves. They're slightly larger than the
service type and more expensive. They have a lever rather than a screw.
A gate valve is likely not to shut off the water fully - which might be ok
for washer changing, but not for removal etc if this is ever needed.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

I am considering changing the valves on the shower supply pipes to
gate valves (the ones with the hand wheel).

Don't ever install a gate valve. They are appalling designs. If you are
worried about flow, then use full bore quarter turn lever valves.

Christian.

mackem

"Allan" wrote in message
.. .
Ti's so. I have just ordered a pile of full flow lever ball valves from
Screwfix...now I wonder when they might be delivered!

Al.

Like everyone else I've had problems with screwfix recently, so I tried here
instead: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/ and found them to be excellent.
They are generally cheaper than screwfix and delivery is free on any value
up to xmas.

Mark Begbie

"Allan" wrote in message ...
Ti's so. I have just ordered a pile of full flow lever ball valves from
Screwfix...now I wonder when they might be delivered!

Al.

"Allan" wrote in message
. uk...
As part of the on going saga of fitting the new en-suite I have added
isolating valves to all the pipes. The only thing is that I notice that
even when fully open the flow rate of the taps isn't what it was before
there were any valves. This has led me to be concerned that my power

shower
will also be "downgraded" due to the smaller bore through the isolating
valves. I am considering changing the valves on the shower supply pipes

gate valves (the ones with the hand wheel). Is this a good move or am I
just talking bollox?

Al.

Toolstation also have them, part 98261 on page
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ves/d20/sd2696

I've used Toolstation more recently after the troubles with Screwfux,
notable differences a

You ALWAYS seem to get your stuff next day
They are cheaper for a lot of things
There is NO shipping charge at the moment
They don't take down their entire website every day just before
you want to look up a part / see past orders / etc.
Toolstation don't have quite such a large range