S. Endon-Lee

Default Isolating Valve replacement handles?

Hello all,

my washing machine and dishwasher are plumbed in with isolating
valves/taps similar to these in the Screwfix catalogue.

Now the instructions with the W/M and D/W say to turn off the water
after use - which I do - and the handle on the D/W valve is now
broken. It was secured by a small screw to the valve body.

The question is, can I get more substantial handles than the somewhat
brittle plastic ones? The obvious source is to buy another valve,
throw away the valve body and use the handle - but this offends my
sensibilities - I would like to get just the handle itself if
possible. Screwfix don't seem to do them.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards

Sid
Grunff

S. Endon-Lee wrote:

Now the instructions with the W/M and D/W say to turn off the water
after use - which I do - and the handle on the D/W valve is now
broken. It was secured by a small screw to the valve body.

My God! I reckon you must be just about the only person that does...

The question is, can I get more substantial handles than the somewhat
brittle plastic ones? The obvious source is to buy another valve,
throw away the valve body and use the handle - but this offends my
sensibilities - I would like to get just the handle itself if
possible. Screwfix don't seem to do them.

If you insist on continuing to turn them off, then your best bet
is to buy a pair of bull bore ball valves from SF. These have
nice big steel handles which won't break off, and will survive a
lot more onn/off operations than the little valves you have.

Thoughts anyone?

Don't turn them off after use?

--
Grunff

BigWallop

"S. Endon-Lee" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

my washing machine and dishwasher are plumbed in with isolating
valves/taps similar to these in the Screwfix catalogue.

Now the instructions with the W/M and D/W say to turn off the water
after use - which I do - and the handle on the D/W valve is now
broken. It was secured by a small screw to the valve body.

The question is, can I get more substantial handles than the somewhat
brittle plastic ones? The obvious source is to buy another valve,
throw away the valve body and use the handle - but this offends my
sensibilities - I would like to get just the handle itself if
possible. Screwfix don't seem to do them.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards

Sid

Plumbers merchants normally have the chrome heads separate for these valves,
so it might be worth a visit to your local one. I know someone told me they
got a set from B&Q, but I don't know if they still do them.

Christian McArdle

Now the instructions with the W/M and D/W say to turn off the water
after use - which I do -

They only tell you do do this so that you won't sue them when it floods.
They probably tell you not to leave the machine unattended too.

I have never actually heard of anyone following either piece of advice. I
have never seen anyone operate these valves unless intending to disconnect
the machine.

Christian.

Keithc666767117

easier tp replace valve get quarter turn valve these are very good

S. Endon-Lee

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"S. Endon-Lee" wrote in message
om...
my washing machine and dishwasher are plumbed in with isolating
valves/taps similar to these in the Screwfix catalogue.
The question is, can I get more substantial handles than the somewhat
brittle plastic ones?

Plumbers merchants normally have the chrome heads separate for these valves,
so it might be worth a visit to your local one. I know someone told me they
got a set from B&Q, but I don't know if they still do them.

Thanks BigWallop.

I hope 'Plumb Center' establishments qualify as plumbers merchants,
and aren't just 'sheds' in disguise.

Thanks to others for suggestions on using quarter-turn full-bore
valves - I'd love to, but I have restricted space, and I'm not
confident in my ability to install them.

As for turning the water on and off, I'm not keen on having a flood in
my flat, and I take the view that an ounce of prevention is worth a
pound of cure. A fiend of mine just fractured his water supply pipe
and flooded his garage and neighbour's garden to the depth of 10
inches (and his neighbour's garden is BIG) - I've no wish to replicate
that in my small but bijou flat.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Regards,

Sid