John

Default Chrome Electric Bits

SWMBO wants me to change all the light switch plates and sockets in the
kitchen from White plastic to Chrome. I do not have a problem in doing this
but would like some opinions on the following.

The earth cables in the wall boxes are all attached to the earth lug in the
corner of the boxes. The Chrome plates all have an earth lug on them
(lights only). The earth wires are not really long enough to remove from
their existing lugs and attach to the plate lugs. With me so far??

My question is, seeing as the wall boxes are all galvanised steel, the
plates are Chrome and the 3.5mm screws are metal, can I leave the earth
wires alone or do they *have* to be connected to the plates? My feeling is
they can be left as incase of a fault developing there will be earth
continuity through all the metal bits touching each other. If not I will
have to 'choccy block' some more earth wire to the earths in the boxes
first. Any opinions or advice greatly received.

TIA

John

Harry Bloomfield

John presented the following explanation :
My question is, seeing as the wall boxes are all galvanised steel, the
plates are Chrome and the 3.5mm screws are metal, can I leave the earth
wires alone or do they have to be connected to the plates? My feeling is
they can be left as incase of a fault developing there will be earth
continuity through all the metal bits touching each other. If not I will
have to 'choccy block' some more earth wire to the earths in the boxes
first. Any opinions or advice greatly received.

You must add an earth wire to the face plate, the screws alone are not
considered to be adequate and the plate would not be earthed if it is
removed from the wall with the power still on.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

RichardS

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Been tackled on a number of occasions in this ng.

Bottom line IIRC is that you can rely on the screw if and only if one of the
lugs in the back box is NOT adjustable.

In any other case (and I would do this even if the above is true) then you
have to connect a conductor to the backbox and the earth terminal on the
face plate.

Just snip off sufficient length from some normal 2.5mm t&e, and strip it of
insulation. Use that to make the connection, and the regs also require that
this is sheathed with green and yellow insulation sheathing (you can buy
this in rolls and it's cheap enough). You also have to sheath the exposed
earth conductors from the cables.

It's all best practise anyway and even though the regs are not technically a
legal requirement there is absolutely no reason not to follow them.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"John" writes:
SWMBO wants me to change all the light switch plates and sockets in the
kitchen from White plastic to Chrome. I do not have a problem in doing this
but would like some opinions on the following.

Big warning... someone will have to be employed full time polishing
them, or they look awful every time someone touches them and leaves
a very visible fingerprint. Ask if SWMBO is up to that task.
The brushed finish ones are much better in this respect.

The earth cables in the wall boxes are all attached to the earth lug in the
corner of the boxes. The Chrome plates all have an earth lug on them
(lights only). The earth wires are not really long enough to remove from
their existing lugs and attach to the plate lugs. With me so far??

My question is, seeing as the wall boxes are all galvanised steel, the
plates are Chrome and the 3.5mm screws are metal, can I leave the earth
wires alone or do they *have* to be connected to the plates? My feeling is
they can be left as incase of a fault developing there will be earth
continuity through all the metal bits touching each other. If not I will
have to 'choccy block' some more earth wire to the earths in the boxes
first. Any opinions or advice greatly received.

Just run another earth from the lug in the back box to the face plate.

--
Andrew Gabriel
ARWadsworth

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

"John" wrote in message
[...]

You only need to use the earth cable (CPC) (sheathed in green/yellow as
Richard said) from an appropriate cable. The 1mm earth from either 1mm or
1.5mm ^2 T&E cables will be fine to link the light switches to the earth
terminal on the back boxes. On the sockets you need only use the earth core
from 2.5mm^2 (ie1.5mm^2) to earth the chrome socket to the back box. If you
need to buy some cable to do this, buy a metre of 1.5mm^2 and use the earth
cable from this on the lights and strip the insulation off the red or back
before earth sleeving and using that for the sockets.

--
Adam

Electric Screwdriver Bits Roger UK diy 5 January 30th 04 11:19 AM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter? Serial Bodger UK diy 12 August 17th 03 02:36 PM
o t ish changing gas and electric Jackie UK diy 4 August 10th 03 06:53 PM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM