Andrew Gabriel

Default Chrome Electric Bits

In article ,
"John" writes:
SWMBO wants me to change all the light switch plates and sockets in the
kitchen from White plastic to Chrome. I do not have a problem in doing this
but would like some opinions on the following.

Big warning... someone will have to be employed full time polishing
them, or they look awful every time someone touches them and leaves
a very visible fingerprint. Ask if SWMBO is up to that task.
The brushed finish ones are much better in this respect.

The earth cables in the wall boxes are all attached to the earth lug in the
corner of the boxes. The Chrome plates all have an earth lug on them
(lights only). The earth wires are not really long enough to remove from
their existing lugs and attach to the plate lugs. With me so far??

My question is, seeing as the wall boxes are all galvanised steel, the
plates are Chrome and the 3.5mm screws are metal, can I leave the earth
wires alone or do they *have* to be connected to the plates? My feeling is
they can be left as incase of a fault developing there will be earth
continuity through all the metal bits touching each other. If not I will
have to 'choccy block' some more earth wire to the earths in the boxes
first. Any opinions or advice greatly received.

Just run another earth from the lug in the back box to the face plate.

--
Andrew Gabriel