Charles Middleton

Default Rawl Bolt Questions

Hi,

Ive got a few questions on projecting rawl bolts....

Is a projecting rawl bolt one that has a a screw thread projecting out from
it on which you can mount things such a bracket of some description.

If this is what I think it is Ive seen a few on the web and its exactly what
Im looking for. However, it looks as if you put onto the thread say your
bracket then you tighten a nut onto that to secure bracket against the wall
lets say. What I cant understand is what you do to actually expand the rawl
bolt once it is in the wall. How do you turn the thread to expand the bolt?

Thanks in advance,

CM.

Alex

it is the action of tighting the nut that withdraws the bolt ,so the it
expands the outer shell and grips firmly un position

Harry Bloomfield

on 24/03/2004, Charles Middleton supposed :
Hi,

Ive got a few questions on projecting rawl bolts....

Is a projecting rawl bolt one that has a a screw thread projecting out from
it on which you can mount things such a bracket of some description.

If this is what I think it is Ive seen a few on the web and its exactly what
Im looking for. However, it looks as if you put onto the thread say your
bracket then you tighten a nut onto that to secure bracket against the wall
lets say. What I cant understand is what you do to actually expand the rawl
bolt once it is in the wall. How do you turn the thread to expand the bolt?

Thanks in advance,

There are two models of the common rawlbolt. One has a projecting
threaded stud, onto which you tigten a nut after slotting the item to
be fixed over it first. The other end of the stud has an integral wedge
shape which forces the wings of the outer sleeve apart to grip the
sides of the hole.

The second type is similar the above idea except that inplace of gthe
stud, it uses a bolt which screws into the threaded wedge. This type
often needs a little extra hole depth in the wall to allow the end of
the bolt protrude, whereas the first type doesn't.

The tubular outer sleeve in both types consists of four cast lontitudal
plates held loosely together by a spring, so they are able to be
expanded. The wedge has four flat sides which locate against the above
plates to prevent the wedge from turning as the bolt (or nut) is
tightened.

For most jobs either type can be used interchangably. To actually use
them, you drill an appropriatly sized hole of the correct depth. You
then insert the rawlbolt, tighten it up so it locks itself firmly in
the hole, then gently remove the bolt (or nut) after which you can
finally offer up your bracket.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Bob Eager

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:19:54 UTC, "Charles Middleton"
wrote:

If this is what I think it is Ive seen a few on the web and its exactly what
Im looking for. However, it looks as if you put onto the thread say your
bracket then you tighten a nut onto that to secure bracket against the wall
lets say. What I cant understand is what you do to actually expand the rawl
bolt once it is in the wall. How do you turn the thread to expand the bolt?

It's sort of 'backwards'. As you tighten the nut, it pulls the threaded
part forwards. The inner end of the threaded part is tapered (largest
part furthest in), so as it's tightened that comes forward and expands
the outer shell of the bolt...if you see what I mean.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Charles Middleton

wrote:

It's sort of 'backwards'. As you tighten the nut, it pulls the threaded
part forwards. The inner end of the threaded part is tapered (largest
part furthest in), so as it's tightened that comes forward and expands
the outer shell of the bolt...if you see what I mean.

Thanks all sounds just what I'm looking for.

CM.

Charles Middleton

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...
on 24/03/2004, Charles Middleton supposed :

There are two models of the common rawlbolt. One has a projecting
threaded stud, onto which you tigten a nut after slotting the item to
be fixed over it first. The other end of the stud has an integral wedge
shape which forces the wings of the outer sleeve apart to grip the
sides of the hole.

Its the projecting type that I need - however how much "projection" can I
expect to get. I need probably around 6-8cm's.

Are there different sorts that give different amounts of projection?

CM.

Harry Bloomfield

Charles Middleton explained :
Its the projecting type that I need - however how much "projection" can I
expect to get. I need probably around 6-8cm's.

Are there different sorts that give different amounts of projection?

The length of projection, so far as I am aware, is simply dependant on
the size of the rawlplug. For that length of projection the easy
solution is to buy the type of rawlbolt which takes a bolt (rather than
a stud type) and buy some screwed rod plus nuts to use instead of the
bolts.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Tony Bryer

In article , Charles Middleton
wrote:
Its the projecting type that I need - however how much
"projection" can I expect to get. I need probably around 6-8cm's.

If you get the sort that takes a bolt there is nothing to stop you
removing the bolt and replacing it with a length of studding of any
length

Charles Middleton

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...

The length of projection, so far as I am aware, is simply dependant on
the size of the rawlplug. For that length of projection the easy
solution is to buy the type of rawlbolt which takes a bolt (rather than
a stud type) and buy some screwed rod plus nuts to use instead of the
bolts.

Probably what I need to do then - any ideas on an online supplier so I can
get a feel for prices? I've had a quick look on the old B&Q web site to no
avail. Also, I imagine that the thread pitch (?) is standard?

CM.

Harry Bloomfield

After serious thinking Charles Middleton wrote :
Probably what I need to do then - any ideas on an online supplier so I can
get a feel for prices? I've had a quick look on the old B&Q web site to no
avail. Also, I imagine that the thread pitch (?) is standard?

Take a look at the Screwfix web site....

They all seem to be metric (mm) threads by default. You might also take
a look in your local hardware shop, they normally sell them and
depending upon quantity it might not be worth paying Screwfix's
postage.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

davenpat

"Charles Middleton" wrote in message
Hi,

Ive got a few questions on projecting rawl bolts....

Is a projecting rawl bolt one that has a a screw thread projecting out

from
it on which you can mount things such a bracket of some description.

Yes and anything you hang from it will be secured by the fact that the
original rawl bolt will have a nut that has to be tightened so that the bit
that is in the wall/brick/stone can expand and not drop out, I hope ;-)

Anything else that is attached to this Rawl bolt will have to have another
nut to fasten it to the wall etc.

Dave