Richard Savage

Default Water pipe insurance

Letter has just dropped through my door inviting me to part with £15.99
pa for the privilege of being insured against up to £2000 of the cost of
replacing the water pipe from my meter to the house. Water Board make a
great play, in said leaflet, of telling me that (a) that run if pipe is
my responsibilty and (b) it's *****ing expensive is it springs a leak.

Any comments?

PS water pipe is under my brick driveway and has not broken in 4 years
of parking 2tonnes of Range Rover on it ;-) But it was installed in
1954 and is steel.

Richard
Andrew Mawson

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
.. .
Letter has just dropped through my door inviting me to part with £15.99
pa for the privilege of being insured against up to £2000 of the cost of
replacing the water pipe from my meter to the house. Water Board make a
great play, in said leaflet, of telling me that (a) that run if pipe is
my responsibilty and (b) it's *****ing expensive is it springs a leak.

Any comments?

PS water pipe is under my brick driveway and has not broken in 4 years
of parking 2tonnes of Range Rover on it ;-) But it was installed in
1954 and is steel.

Richard

The big cost is trenching to get at it - the replacement pipe is relatively
cheap and with modern fitting a doddle to use. If you are fit and into DIY
it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Andrew

Richard Savage

Andrew Mawson wrote:

The big cost is trenching to get at it - the replacement pipe is relatively
cheap and with modern fitting a doddle to use. If you are fit and into DIY
it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Andrew

Fit-ish but doubt that I'm any good at _re_ laying pavia (sp?) driveways
that have been partially dug up!

Cheers

Richard
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:05:12 +0100, Richard Savage wrote:

Fit-ish but doubt that I'm any good at _re_ laying pavia (sp?)
driveways that have been partially dug up!

Would =A32000 cover the cost of having the drive relaid? I doubt it. It =

might cover the cost of having the trench dug and pipe relaid. How
many times have you heard of the service pipe failing? Street stop
cocks yes, but they are the water co's responsibilty.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Pete C

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:45:40 +0100, Richard Savage
wrote:

Letter has just dropped through my door inviting me to part with £15.99
pa for the privilege of being insured against up to £2000 of the cost of
replacing the water pipe from my meter to the house. Water Board make a
great play, in said leaflet, of telling me that (a) that run if pipe is
my responsibilty and (b) it's *****ing expensive is it springs a leak.

Any comments?

Hi,

I'd have thought they mean from the stopcock to the house. Might not
hurt to go outside at night with a listening stick, and listen out for
any leaks.

PS water pipe is under my brick driveway and has not broken in 4 years
of parking 2tonnes of Range Rover on it ;-) But it was installed in
1954 and is steel.

I'd have thought £16 per year into £2000 is easy money, it implies 1
in 3 pipes of that age will have leaked by now ))

cheers,
Pete.

Richard Savage

Pete C wrote:

Hi,

I'd have thought they mean from the stopcock to the house. Might not
hurt to go outside at night with a listening stick, and listen out for
any leaks.

cheers,
Pete.

Sorry I did mean from the water meter at the edge of the property to the
house.

Interestingly though the leaflet says 'from meter to edge of house' is
my responsibility. It would be foolish to ask the Water Board who,
then, is responsible for the pipe inside my house!!!

Richard

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Hot water recirculation [email protected] Home Repair 18 August 9th 04 05:32 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM