ARWadsworth

Default Totally OT. Telephone numbers

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Adam

Set Square

ARWadsworth wrote:

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Adam

Press 3 to call it, and see who answers!g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Malc

"Set Square" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Adam

Press 3 to call it, and see who answers!g

Probably MI5. It was you who reported being followed by black helicopters
wasn't it?

--
Malc

G&M

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Because the idiot who setup the PABX calling you didn't turn identification
off and also didn't bother to program in the number it was using.

:::Jerry::::

"G&M" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Because the idiot who setup the PABX calling you didn't turn

identification
off and also didn't bother to program in the number it was using.

But surely the number given by a 1471 request is the number the calling
exchange has given, that is why you have to tell BT to with hold your number
and not an option on the phone IYSWIM ?

Could be that an BT exchange has baulked some place...

G&M

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Because the idiot who setup the PABX calling you didn't turn

identification
off and also didn't bother to program in the number it was using.

But surely the number given by a 1471 request is the number the calling
exchange has given, that is why you have to tell BT to with hold your

number
and not an option on the phone IYSWIM ?

Large PABXs are themselves part of the switching network and run a special
variant of the CCITT signalling protocol the exchanges themselves use. Thus
they are inside the safety net and are expected to play by the rules without
being checked. On these PABXs you can make all sorts of Caller ID options,
though saying you come from somewhere else is somewhat naughty.

Could be that an BT exchange has baulked some place...

Peter Parry

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:46:37 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Probably because it is an American call centre trying to sell you
something really exciting like err... something really exciting.
They seem to be the main culprits as the US telcos allow them to
present numbers outside assigned ranges.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

:::Jerry::::

"G&M" wrote in message

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

[...]

I would have thought that the BT network would monitor given ID numbers
against those from the true ID of the line being used for the call and at
the very minimum return a 'caller ID with-held' default cal back ID IYSWIM ?
Not to do so could, as you say, lead to the abuse of the system and open BT
and the various watchdogs etc. to all sorts of problems.

If they don't do the above something is very lacking IMO.

Peter

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

I would have thought that the BT network would monitor given ID numbers
against those from the true ID of the line being used for the call and at
the very minimum return a 'caller ID with-held' default cal back ID IYSWIM ?
Not to do so could, as you say, lead to the abuse of the system and open BT
and the various watchdogs etc. to all sorts of problems.

If they don't do the above something is very lacking IMO.

When I was working in a voice design for a few months i learnt a little
about CLI. It seems that there are 2 or three levels of CLI. One level
is the actual calling number and cannot (read: "really, really should
not") be altered / blocked / not passed. This level will be examined if
there are any investigations etc...

There is also a "information" level, this is the level that 1471 and
caller displays use. Subscribers can request that this is blocked or
use the 141 prefix (I think this is the number).

Additionally where a company obtains its telephony from one of the many
Other Licensed Operators they may choose to not present that level of
CLI or present a different number. Often this would be the front
reception desk for the building the call originated from or a central
operator for the company.

UK OLO's are required to log details of all call that come through there
networks, and keep these records indefinitely. (OLOs include BT, NTL,
C&W, Global Crossing, Energis, O2, Orange etc...).

CLI is an international system, but of course some countries do not
stick to the system, and there are ways of hacking the system. In
particular phones companies in Las Vegas _have_ had a doggy reputation
recently (mainly to do with diverting callers to alternative adult
services etc.). Also there have been some concerns about the security
of VOIP (voice over IP) and IPT (IP telephony), where it's been found
quite easy to make calls and spoof the CLI.

00000000 was probably a call from a company "managing" it's own PABX.
If it was a malicious call it probably could be traced.

If it was from outside the up it probably wouldn't have presented any
number.

hth
--
peter
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:14:19 +0100, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

I would have thought that the BT network would monitor given ID
numbers against those from the true ID of the line being used for
the call ...

Erm, what about outgoing only PABX lines, no point in presenting that
number. So the owner of the PABX has the need to send a legitimate
number for their front office or WHY.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Richard

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Adam

Do NOT dial this number. It is the lockout code for the infinite
improbability drive. If dialled it would freeze Arthur Dent and Marvin where
they are about to be on Tuesday R4 . The Tertiary phase.

Richard.

Richard Porter

wrote:

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Probably because it is an American call centre trying to sell you
something really exciting like err... something really exciting.
They seem to be the main culprits as the US telcos allow them to
present numbers outside assigned ranges.

Normally international calls would just display as INTERNATIONAL.
However recently I got a call from a freind from Belgium who was in the
UK at the time, and his number was displayed complete with the
international dialling code (0032).

I normally have ACR activated and I'm annoyed at the number of UK
companies that make cold sales calls from overseas, and that includes
Lloyds-TSB.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com

Andy Hall

wrote:

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Probably because it is an American call centre trying to sell you
something really exciting like err... something really exciting.
They seem to be the main culprits as the US telcos allow them to
present numbers outside assigned ranges.

Normally international calls would just display as INTERNATIONAL.
However recently I got a call from a freind from Belgium who was in the
UK at the time, and his number was displayed complete with the
international dialling code (0032).

I normally have ACR activated and I'm annoyed at the number of UK
companies that make cold sales calls from overseas, and that includes
Lloyds-TSB.

I make and receive calls to and from most countries elsewhere in
Europe and also the U.S.

At least half of incoming calls have the calling number presented - my
(ISDN) PABX logs them.

It appears to be mainly dependent on originating carrier. For example
numbers from most GSM operators appear, and from some countries, fixed
line as well...

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Paul C. Dickie

In article , Malc
writes
"Set Square" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
Sorry for asking such an off topic question.
Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Press 3 to call it, and see who answers!g

Probably MI5. It was you who reported being followed by black helicopters
wasn't it?

Do you mean they're no longer watching people via their TV sets?

--
Paul
The Natural Philosopher

ARWadsworth wrote:

Sorry for asking such an off topic question.

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

Adam

Probably a PABX with an unset CLI.
Terry

ARWadsworth wrote:

Does anyone have any idea why the last number that called my phone (I
dialled 1471) has the phone number 00000000000.

"Bond. James Bond here"!