Mil

Default Laminate Floor - Door Frame / Filler?

Hi,

I put down a laminate floor in my lounge last week, and, in preference
to using edging strips, I took the skirting board off the wall. I'm
really pleased with the result, with the exception of the small areas
around the door frames. Can I buy a filler of some kind to fill these
small areas? If so, any idea where from (in the UK)?

cheers,

mil.
Set Square

Mil wrote:

Hi,

I put down a laminate floor in my lounge last week, and, in preference
to using edging strips, I took the skirting board off the wall. I'm
really pleased with the result, with the exception of the small areas
around the door frames. Can I buy a filler of some kind to fill these
small areas? If so, any idea where from (in the UK)?

cheers,

mil.

The idea is to chop a little bit off the bottom of your door frames and
architraves, and slide the laminate underneath. I assume you didn't do that?

I presume that you have left an expansion gap round the frames, which you
wish to hide? You can get some strips of cork to put round wooden flooring
to allow for expansion without actually having a gap. You may be able to use
some of this - but it will probably be a bit thicker than the laminate.

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with beading - it
looks horrible!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

The Natural Philosopher

Mil wrote:

Hi,

I put down a laminate floor in my lounge last week, and, in preference
to using edging strips, I took the skirting board off the wall. I'm
really pleased with the result, with the exception of the small areas
around the door frames. Can I buy a filler of some kind to fill these
small areas? If so, any idea where from (in the UK)?

cheers,

mil.

I used a dark wood coloured frame sealer 0- the sot of thing that goes
round windows.

I think its an acrylic, but it looks fine.
Mike Mitchell

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:03:29 +0100, "Set Square"

Mil wrote:

[...]

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It
just has to be applied neatly.

MM
Set Square

wrote:

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with
beading - it looks horrible!

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It
just has to be applied neatly.

MM

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a
look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday property in
Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Richard Savage

Set Square wrote:

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a
look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday property in
Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].

Could almost be my kitchen! Previous owners laid an imitation wood
floor, which seems to be made of cardboard judging from it's affection
for water, to 'enhance' the saleability of the property - pleased me
because I knew that I was ripping the kitchen out. Anyway they did it
_so_ badly that they had to take the top of the washing machine before
it would fit back under the worksurface. Arrrrgh.

Unfortunately soon after moving in I told my new neighbour about the
'horrible kitchen floor' only for him to tell me that he laid it!

Richard

wrote:

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with
beading - it looks horrible!

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It
just has to be applied neatly.

MM

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a
look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday property in
Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

LOL - that is attrocious! Why on earth did they not just cut the bottom off
the door frame!?

Mike Mitchell

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:47:35 +0100, "Set Square"

wrote:

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with
beading - it looks horrible!

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It
just has to be applied neatly.

MM

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a
look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

Agreed. That is simply atrocious.

MM
Mike Mitchell

wrote:

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with
beading - it looks horrible!

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It
just has to be applied neatly.

MM

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a
look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday property in
Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

LOL - that is attrocious! Why on earth did they not just cut the bottom off
the door frame!?

That's how I did it. But it is ruddy hard work! Especially with
several door frames. You are crouched down for ages, and I'm 58 and
not as flexible as I once was. Maybe I'll put my money where my mouth
is and dig out the Fuji digital camera...

MM

r.p.mcmurphy

To reply to me direct, remove the SPACE's from my email address!

wrote:

The thing to avoid if at all possible is covering the gap with
beading - it looks horrible!

No, it doesn't! It looks fantastic! I'm looking at it right now. It
just has to be applied neatly.

MM

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it, take a
look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday property in
Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

that pic should be in a "UK.D-I-Y House Of Horrors" album!

steve

Set Square

wrote:

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it,
take a look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday
property in Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].
--

that pic should be in a "UK.D-I-Y House Of Horrors" album!

steve

Would you like to set one up, and invite contributions?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

r.p.mcmurphy

wrote:

Maybe it *can* look ok. But, for an example of how *not* to do it,
take a look at:
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...y_doorways.JPG

[I took this picture in an otherwise nicely appointed holiday
property in Cornwall which we rented a year or two ago].
--

that pic should be in a "UK.D-I-Y House Of Horrors" album!

steve

Would you like to set one up, and invite contributions?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

id love to if i had the knowhow!

steve

wood filler question Bruce Woodworking 2 February 16th 04 02:05 PM
That laminate vs new wood flooring Q - thanks Tenex UK diy 7 September 9th 03 10:11 AM