Stephen Jones

Default Cooker Hood Extractor pipe length

I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

Thanks

Steve Jones
Andy Hall

On 30 Sep 2004 03:59:15 -0700, (Stephen Jones)
wrote:

I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

Thanks

Steve Jones

Have a look at DR Cookerhoods.

www.cookerhoods.net

They are the distributor for Elica, who make a large proportion of
cooker hoods sold in their own name and most other brands.

The web site has spec. sheets.

DR don't sell directly, but you can get the products from TLC Direct.

There are certainly some pokey ones, but be prepared to put in a 120
or 150mm duct rather than 100mm if you can.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

They are the distributor for Elica, who make a large proportion of
cooker hoods sold in their own name and most other brands.

The web site has spec. sheets.

DR don't sell directly, but you can get the products from TLC Direct.

There are certainly some pokey ones, but be prepared to put in a 120
or 150mm duct rather than 100mm if you can.

After an extensive search, we bought an Elica (from
appliancepeople.co.uk). It's a twin-motor model, and I can with all
honesty say this thing sucks! (in a very good way)

--
Grunff
Lobster

"Stephen Jones" wrote in message
om...
I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

How about adding a auxillary standard in-line fan, wired in parallel to the
cooker hood?
David

Grunff

Lobster wrote:

How about adding a auxillary standard in-line fan, wired in parallel to the
cooker hood?

A couple of things to consider:

1. Inline fans aren't really designed to cope with the grease that tends
to go up a cooker hood.

2. Most are 100mm, and it's really a good idea to duct in 125 or 150mm
for least flow resistance.

--
Grunff

Andy Hall

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:46:40 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

"Stephen Jones" wrote in message
. com...
I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

How about adding a auxillary standard in-line fan, wired in parallel to the
cooker hood?
David

Bad idea unless you get a large duct size one like a Vent Axia
commercial type.

The main thing is to have a large enough duct to reduce resistance and
fan to go with it.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Richard Savage

Stephen Jones wrote:

I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

Thanks

Steve Jones

One manufacturer (whose name escapes me at present) has two hoods in
their range with external fans. Perhaps you could add the external fan
to a conventional (fan in hood) model?

Richard

VisionSet

"Grunff" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

They are the distributor for Elica, who make a large proportion of
cooker hoods sold in their own name and most other brands.

The web site has spec. sheets.

DR don't sell directly, but you can get the products from TLC Direct.

There are certainly some pokey ones, but be prepared to put in a 120
or 150mm duct rather than 100mm if you can.

After an extensive search, we bought an Elica (from
appliancepeople.co.uk). It's a twin-motor model, and I can with all
honesty say this thing sucks! (in a very good way)

Absolutely, but isn't the switch gear frigging awful!
Built like a Fiat not a VW

--
Mike W

Grunff

VisionSet wrote:

Absolutely, but isn't the switch gear frigging awful!
Built like a Fiat not a VW

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I was so concerned I actually opened it up to
take a look.

The two switch (slider) knobs sit on top of small metal protrusions
which are part of the real switch. A bit like a slide potentiometer and
its knob.

The problem is the plastic knobs fit very loosely over the metal switch
parts, and are also quite loose in their guide channels. The switches
themselves are really quite nice - nice action, seem quite solid.

--
Grunff

Peter

wrote:

Stephen Jones wrote:

I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

Thanks

Steve Jones

One manufacturer (whose name escapes me at present) has two hoods in
their range with external fans. Perhaps you could add the external fan
to a conventional (fan in hood) model?

Richard

This is also Elica

Think of the poor sod who has to go and fix these damn thinks... ohh dear

Peter

Richard Savage

Stephen Jones wrote:

I would like to have an extractor fan above my cooker hob, however the
total distance to the outside wall is 4M and most extractors I have
found are only good upto 3M. Is it possible to get hoods with more
powerful fans to cover this distance, its will have two corners, one
in the ceiling and one at the eaves (Chalet bungalow)

Thanks

Steve Jones

Found the book: De Dietrich 2002/2003 catalogue:

AH4200 external fitment independent motor. 800m3/h extraction rate.
AH4100 and 4300 are internal fit versions offering 850m3/h. On the same
page is a recommendation to contact Domus Ducting 01799 540 602

Hoods for the above motors a

HM7990 90 cm island type (use AH4300),

HW8900 90 cm pyramid type (presumably against a wall) (use AH4100 or
AH4200)

and HM2600 54 cm filter canopy (i.e. under cupboard mount) or HM2800 72
cm version. (both use AH4100 or AH4200)

HTH

Rgds

Richard
Lobster

"Grunff" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:

How about adding a auxillary standard in-line fan, wired in parallel to

the
cooker hood?

A couple of things to consider:

1. Inline fans aren't really designed to cope with the grease that tends
to go up a cooker hood.

2. Most are 100mm, and it's really a good idea to duct in 125 or 150mm
for least flow resistance.

Oh bummer... really?

I fitted one last week as it happens (not with an inline fan), using about
2.5m of 100mm ducting on a standard hood, cos I couldn't find anything
wider.

Am I screwed? (no power yet, so haven't tested the setup)

David

Grunff

Lobster wrote:

Oh bummer... really?

I fitted one last week as it happens (not with an inline fan), using about
2.5m of 100mm ducting on a standard hood, cos I couldn't find anything
wider.

Am I screwed? (no power yet, so haven't tested the setup)

It'll work, but you'd get higher flow rate with bigger duct area. All
depends on whether it is adequate for your needs.

A 100mm duct has an area of 7,850mm^2. A 125mm duct has an area of
12,265mm^2. A 150mm duct has an area of 17,660mm^2. Makes a big
fifference to the frictional losses, especially round bends.

--
Grunff

Connector for cooker hood Z UK diy 6 May 13th 04 10:18 PM
Cooker Hood and Gas Hob (mains) supply Richard Savage UK diy 11 May 12th 04 09:22 PM
Cooker hood wiring again! John Greenwood UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:10 AM