SJ

Default Router or jigsaw

Hi i do a lot of odd jobs for people and have been considering
upgrading my jigsaw but someone mentioned to me a router would be
better.
I always thought a router was just for making patterns and carvings of
wood not for cutting through wood, so what exactly can a router do? i
usaully spend approx £65 on a jigsaw what router would you get? is
there any guides on the net to see what a router can do? and what
accesories would i need.

i do a lot of kitchen tops, loft flooring, self build sheds, doors etc

steve

Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:35:27 +0000, SJ wrote:

Hi i do a lot of odd jobs for people and have been considering
upgrading my jigsaw but someone mentioned to me a router would be
better.
I always thought a router was just for making patterns and carvings of
wood not for cutting through wood, so what exactly can a router do? i
usaully spend approx £65 on a jigsaw what router would you get? is
there any guides on the net to see what a router can do? and what
accesories would i need.

i do a lot of kitchen tops, loft flooring, self build sheds, doors etc

steve

You could start by looking at Trend Machinery's web site. They have a
lot of downloadable guides about routing and what can be done.

Certainly for trimming worktops and edges of material a router is
ideal. It is also useful for hinge rebating, mortises for locks etc.

Another example is neatening after having used a jigsaw.

Applications are more limited by imagination than anything else; but
you can't really say that a router is a one for one alternative to a
jigsaw.

For the kind of applications that you describe, you really need a 1/2"
rather than a 1/4" router because of the power and size of machine.
The bad news is that you won't buy anything worth having in the
sub-£100 price range - the DIY store own brands, by experience of
people here are largely underpowered junk.
A good value start is the Freud 2000, but you are looking at around
£160 for that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grouch

SJ wrote:
|| Hi i do a lot of odd jobs for people and have been considering
|| upgrading my jigsaw but someone mentioned to me a router would be
|| better.
|| I always thought a router was just for making patterns and carvings
|| of wood not for cutting through wood, so what exactly can a router
|| do? i usaully spend approx £65 on a jigsaw what router would you
|| get? is there any guides on the net to see what a router can do? and
|| what accesories would i need.
|| i do a lot of kitchen tops, loft flooring, self build sheds, doors
|| etc
|| steve

A Router in respect to a Jigsaw can do numerous jobs that a Jigsaw can't
i.e cut channels/bore holes/chamfer edges/fancy edging/ the list is endless,
it can cut straight edges but this normally takes 2 to three cut's depending
on thickness of wood, cuts a lot straighter than a Jig.

Two models here the higher the wattage the better, also half inch chuck

JCB are decent quality tools.
http://tinyurl.com/23o27

--
Grouch

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

A good value start is the Freud 2000, but you are looking at around
£160 for that.

And a very nice router it is too. Hell of a kick compared to my little
1/4" 1kW jobbie.

--
Grunff
SJ

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:37:14 -0000, "Grouch"
wrote:

A Router in respect to a Jigsaw can do numerous jobs that a Jigsaw can't
i.e cut channels/bore holes/chamfer edges/fancy edging/ the list is endless,
it can cut straight edges but this normally takes 2 to three cut's depending
on thickness of wood, cuts a lot straighter than a Jig.

Two models here the higher the wattage the better, also half inch chuck

JCB are decent quality tools.
http://tinyurl.com/23o27

Out of the two that you list one is £49 the other is £59 what would
you go for?

Rick Dipper

SJ wrote:
|| Hi i do a lot of odd jobs for people and have been considering
|| upgrading my jigsaw but someone mentioned to me a router would be
|| better.
|| I always thought a router was just for making patterns and carvings
|| of wood not for cutting through wood, so what exactly can a router
|| do? i usaully spend approx £65 on a jigsaw what router would you
|| get? is there any guides on the net to see what a router can do? and
|| what accesories would i need.
|| i do a lot of kitchen tops, loft flooring, self build sheds, doors
|| etc
|| steve

A Router in respect to a Jigsaw can do numerous jobs that a Jigsaw can't
i.e cut channels/bore holes/chamfer edges/fancy edging/ the list is endless,
it can cut straight edges but this normally takes 2 to three cut's depending
on thickness of wood, cuts a lot straighter than a Jig.

Two models here the higher the wattage the better, also half inch chuck

JCB are decent quality tools.
http://tinyurl.com/23o27

--
Grouch

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

On the other tand I would not want to cut a wavey line in some thin sheets of 8x4 using my big heavy router ........

Rick

Grouch

SJ wrote:
|| On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:37:14 -0000, "Grouch"
|| wrote:
||| A Router in respect to a Jigsaw can do numerous jobs that a Jigsaw
||| can't i.e cut channels/bore holes/chamfer edges/fancy edging/ the
||| list is endless, it can cut straight edges but this normally takes
||| 2 to three cut's depending on thickness of wood, cuts a lot
||| straighter than a Jig.
||| Two models here the higher the wattage the better, also half inch
||| chuck
||| JCB are decent quality tools.
||| http://tinyurl.com/23o27
|| Out of the two that you list one is £49 the other is £59 what would
|| you go for?

Well the problem there is should you go for the £49 jobbie which is
1500watts and the other is £59 1200Watts. I think the prices have been mixed
up, who knows, best to go to nearest Argos and find out.

1500Watts is what I would go for.

--
Grouch

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Andy Hall

wrote:

A Router in respect to a Jigsaw can do numerous jobs that a Jigsaw can't
i.e cut channels/bore holes/chamfer edges/fancy edging/ the list is endless,
it can cut straight edges but this normally takes 2 to three cut's depending
on thickness of wood, cuts a lot straighter than a Jig.

Two models here the higher the wattage the better, also half inch chuck

JCB are decent quality tools.
http://tinyurl.com/23o27

Out of the two that you list one is £49 the other is £59 what would
you go for?

Neither.

You won't get good results out of a router in this price range if you
are planning regular use.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grouch

Andy Hall wrote:
|| On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:24:15 ?, SJ wrote:
||| Out of the two that you list one is £49 the other is £59 what would
||| you go for?
|| Neither.
|| You won't get good results out of a router in this price range if you
|| are planning regular use.
|| .andy
|| To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Why.? JCB is not a own brand store spin off. Plus he's not going into Mass
production. I have a B/D which has been taken a lot of punishment the 850W,
had it for two years now and it's still working.
Power tools will last for ages provided the operater does not force it
through the Job.
I also have Bosch 1500w. The one,s your on about are more for Industry work
rather than the average DIYer.

--
Grouch

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

SJ

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:00:28 -0000, "Grouch"
wrote:

I also have Bosch 1500w. The one,s your on about are more for Industry work
rather than the average DIYer.

I would be using it roughly 3 times a week probably more as i get used
to it i think, at the moment i use a jigsaw a lot so going by what
people have said the router will be a jigsaw replacement, would it be
better to spend say £50 till i got used to a router or jump in with a
"proper £££" one,
as i said i have a diy business so some weeks it might get used once
some weeks then could be out every day

steve

SJ

So if im correct im looking at a 1500w motor and half inch collet at
the moment and prices from £59 (jcb) upto £160 (Freud 2000) what about
the bits to go in the end what would be a good selection to have.
(kitchen worktops, letter boxs, sheds, doors etc)

thanks

steve
Grunff

SJ wrote:

I would be using it roughly 3 times a week probably more as i get used
to it i think

That's almost "pro" tool territory. I'd definitely be looking at a 1/2"
in the £150-£200 bracket if I were you.

at the moment i use a jigsaw a lot so going by what
people have said the router will be a jigsaw replacement

I wouldn't say that it's a replacement. I use router/jigsaw/circular saw
for different things, and wouldn't really want to be without any one
of them.

would it be
better to spend say £50 till i got used to a router or jump in with a
"proper £££" one,

If you intend to use it as you say, you're unlikely to find a £50 up to
the jobs you want to do.

as i said i have a diy business so some weeks it might get used once
some weeks then could be out every day

Then you need something which is powerful, has a decent level of
precision and will last.

--
Grunff
Ian Stirling

Grunff wrote:
SJ wrote:

I would be using it roughly 3 times a week probably more as i get used
to it i think

That's almost "pro" tool territory. I'd definitely be looking at a 1/2"
in the ?150-?200 bracket if I were you.

at the moment i use a jigsaw a lot so going by what
people have said the router will be a jigsaw replacement

I wouldn't say that it's a replacement. I use router/jigsaw/circular saw
for different things, and wouldn't really want to be without any one
of them.

It certainly can't substitute for a jigsaw, in any but the crudest sense.
The problems with it are it's practically impossible to use free-hand,
and keep anywhere close to a line (at least in many materials.)
It's lots louder, has a much, much wider kerf, and the bits are many times
more expensive.

Peter Ashby

SJ wrote:

Hi i do a lot of odd jobs for people and have been considering
upgrading my jigsaw but someone mentioned to me a router would be
better.
I always thought a router was just for making patterns and carvings of
wood not for cutting through wood, so what exactly can a router do? i
usaully spend approx £65 on a jigsaw what router would you get? is
there any guides on the net to see what a router can do? and what
accesories would i need.

i do a lot of kitchen tops, loft flooring, self build sheds, doors etc

Well last weekend I needed to make two 2m lengths of 18mm gravel board
2cm narrower. I screwed one to the other so that it was 2cm back, loaded
a bearing guided trimmer in my £20 1100W Power Devil Router and working
in sections had them down and straight quite easily. I did have to stop
after the first one and give the cutter a tickle to sharpen it but it
went well if you took it steady and didn't force the issue.

If you are planning on doing worktops then you will need a decent sized
and powered 1/2" model and a template. A trimming cutter and a straight
edge will size a door for you very nicely, a straight cutter and
template will do your lock mortices and hinges too. A 1/2" jobbie in a
table will make you T&G for your flooring too, though you will likely
need a fairly robust one to do more than a few tens of meters worth.

Peter
Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:29:48 +0000, SJ wrote:

So if im correct im looking at a 1500w motor and half inch collet at
the moment and prices from £59 (jcb) upto £160 (Freud 2000) what about
the bits to go in the end what would be a good selection to have.
(kitchen worktops, letter boxs, sheds, doors etc)

thanks

steve

The price range for good quality 1/2" routers is up to £300. The
Freud one is at the starting point of "worth buying for regular use"

The jobs that you describe mainly involve trimming bits that are
fairly long, so they don't tend to come in the assorted packs.

Trend, Freud and CMT do kitchen fitter's sets which would actually
cover a lot of what you describe.

You could buy a mixed pack of bits, but to be honest you probably
wouldn't use a lot of the fancy shaped ones in the tasks you
described. On the other hand, you can pick up sets of assorted bits
quite cheaply if you feel like trying things out.

For jobs like lock mortises, hinge mortises and worktops there are
jigs that you can buy or even make pretty easily.

I would suggest cherry picking the bits that you need as you go.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Rick Hughes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

My local power tool shop is selling a Router table including a 1/2" Ryobi
Router for £98

The table is cast Al and much better built the B&Q Performance Pro Router
table that is on sale for same price in B&Q.

Anybody have any opinions on Ryobi ... never owned any Ryobi kit.

Rick

Lurch

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:46:42 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

My local power tool shop is selling a Router table including a 1/2" Ryobi
Router for £98

Are you sure that's not 1/4"?

The table is cast Al and much better built the B&Q Performance Pro Router
table that is on sale for same price in B&Q.

Anybody have any opinions on Ryobi ... never owned any Ryobi kit.

I've got one of those. The table doesn't inspire total confidence but
it is reasonable quality, given the price. The router seems sturdy
enough. I've done a bit of trimming with it, nothing too serious yet!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Rick Hughes

Default RYOBI router table

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:46:42 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

My local power tool shop is selling a Router table including a 1/2" Ryobi
Router for £98

Are you sure that's not 1/4"?

I was wrong ... it's 1/4" or 8mm ..... my Trend is 8mm, and so are all my
cutters so maybe I will look at this again.

Rick A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:58:42 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:46:42 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

My local power tool shop is selling a Router table including a 1/2" Ryobi
Router for £98

Are you sure that's not 1/4"?

I was wrong ... it's 1/4" or 8mm ..... my Trend is 8mm, and so are all my
cutters so maybe I will look at this again.

That's better, I'd have been well hacked off if there was a Ryobi 1/2"
and table for the same price as my new Ryobi 1/4" and table

Rick A.C.S. Ltd.

No you're not, I'd have remembered employing you!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
mike

It's 1/2" according to Baron Bros website:

http://www.buyatool.co.uk/acatalog/B...outing_27.html

Lurch

On 22 Mar 2004 02:37:15 -0800, in uk.d-i-y (mike)
strung together this:

It's 1/2" according to Baron Bros website:

http://www.buyatool.co.uk/acatalog/B...outing_27.html

The website's wrong, the Ryobi ERT1150 is 1/4". I know this because,
as I mentioned before, I've got one.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Rick Hughes

"Lurch" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2004 02:37:15 -0800, in uk.d-i-y (mike)
strung together this:

It's 1/2" according to Baron Bros website:

http://www.buyatool.co.uk/acatalog/B...outing_27.html

The website's wrong, the Ryobi ERT1150 is 1/4". I know this because,
as I mentioned before, I've got one.

back to question - how good are RYOBI routers ?

Rick

A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:59:27 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2004 02:37:15 -0800, in uk.d-i-y (mike)
strung together this:

It's 1/2" according to Baron Bros website:

http://www.buyatool.co.uk/acatalog/B...outing_27.html

The website's wrong, the Ryobi ERT1150 is 1/4". I know this because,
as I mentioned before, I've got one.

back to question - how good are RYOBI routers ?

I seem to think I may have answered this but I can't see it in my
outbox so I'll go again, possibly.
Mine's doing alright, the ERT1150, I haven't done any worktops yet but
for general trimming and light duty routing it's done a decent job.
Seems fairly well made.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Rick Hughes

"mike" wrote in message
m...
It's 1/2" according to Baron Bros website:

http://www.buyatool.co.uk/acatalog/B...outing_27.html

Did a searching around and also found this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=20 781

text clearly states "New stock of this very popular item has arrived. Please
be aware that although the item is a 1/2" router Ryobi forget to mention
this on the box! "

and "
a.. Q: Does the router really take 1/2" shank cutters?
a.. A: Yes as stated in the above listing it really really does take 1/2"!!!
"

Rick

Lurch

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:17:18 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

"mike" wrote in message
om...
It's 1/2" according to Baron Bros website:

http://www.buyatool.co.uk/acatalog/B...outing_27.html

Did a searching around and also found this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=20 781

text clearly states "New stock of this very popular item has arrived. Please
be aware that although the item is a 1/2" router Ryobi forget to mention
this on the box! "

and "
a.. Q: Does the router really take 1/2" shank cutters?
a.. A: Yes as stated in the above listing it really really does take 1/2"!!!
"

Don't believe everything you read. That's the only place I've seen
saying it is a 1/2". I've got one, and it's a 1/4".
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

John

Does this help in the confusion.

http://www.protrade.co.uk/shop/options.asp?pid=886

"It will also accept 1/2" cutters for occasional use."

HTH

John

Lurch

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:50:28 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "John"
strung together this:

Does this help in the confusion.

http://www.protrade.co.uk/shop/options.asp?pid=886

"It will also accept 1/2" cutters for occasional use."

Yep, think that clears it up a bit. It's still a bit underpowered for
continuous use as a 1/2" router. And I think the seller on eBay is
advising that the router be used outside the scope of the
manufacturers intentions, a definite warranty invalidater!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Sean Delere

Yep, think that clears it up a bit. It's still a bit underpowered for
continuous use as a 1/2" router. And I think the seller on eBay is
advising that the router be used outside the scope of the
manufacturers intentions, a definite warranty invalidater!

I would tend to agree.

If it is a decent quality router and table then it does seem a good price
though.

Sean

Rick Hughes

"Sean Delere" wrote in message
Yep, think that clears it up a bit. It's still a bit underpowered for
continuous use as a 1/2" router. And I think the seller on eBay is
advising that the router be used outside the scope of the
manufacturers intentions, a definite warranty invalidater!

I contacted the seller asking why the boxed set has 1/4" / 8mm on it when
they are saying it's an 1/2" Router .... here is the reply:
he router box is indeed as you describe, however the router is a 1/2"router
& comes with a 1/2" collet. For some reason Ryobi have chosen not to market
the device as a 1/2". Please be confident that the router is as we state,
164 of our customers can't be wrong!!!

Regards,

Tony Watt

Marketing Administrator

Buyatool.co.uk

A 1/2" Router and table at less than £100 does seem a good offer.

Rick

Lurch

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:01:28 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Rick Hughes"
strung together this:

"Sean Delere" wrote in message
Yep, think that clears it up a bit. It's still a bit underpowered for
continuous use as a 1/2" router. And I think the seller on eBay is
advising that the router be used outside the scope of the
manufacturers intentions, a definite warranty invalidater!

I contacted the seller asking why the boxed set has 1/4" / 8mm on it when
they are saying it's an 1/2" Router .... here is the reply:
he router box is indeed as you describe, however the router is a 1/2"router
& comes with a 1/2" collet. For some reason Ryobi have chosen not to market
the device as a 1/2". Please be confident that the router is as we state,
164 of our customers can't be wrong!!!

Regards,

Tony Watt

Marketing Administrator

Buyatool.co.uk

Does seem a bit like salesmans patter to me. I'm still not buying it.
Occasional use, yes. Continuous use, no. Remember, I've got one and it
wouldn't last long as a 1/2" router.
Talking ******** is quite a well known ruse in salesman circles!

A 1/2" Router and table at less than £100 does seem a good offer.

Ever heard the phrase "too good to be true"?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

stuart noble

One difference is that a jigsaw can be used one-handed. If you work on your
own, that can be important. From that point of view a trimmer (basically a
mini router) might be better.