chris French

Default Screwfix, get in quick...

Well as they said their site was up this morning ok. I thought I'd risk
it, figuring the backlog must have gone by now. Put together most of an
order, left it to come back later, bugger they closed it again for
anymore orders today. Though it says they will be back up later for
orders for Wed delivery.

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on
time
--
Chris French, Leeds
Christian McArdle

Well as they said their site was up this morning ok. I thought I'd risk
it, figuring the backlog must have gone by now. Put together most of an
order, left it to come back later, bugger they closed it again for
anymore orders today.

www.toolstation.com.

You know it makes sense!

;-)

Christian.

P.S. I bet with the number of screwfix customers' business they must be
getting at the moment, they'll be a bit busy in the warehouse department
themselves...

John Rumm

chris French wrote:

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on time

It would be nice if the left the site there, and just disabled the
ability to place the order. At least that way you could still research
products and add items to your basket for later purchase.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:36:44 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Well as they said their site was up this morning ok. I thought I'd risk
it, figuring the backlog must have gone by now. Put together most of an
order, left it to come back later, bugger they closed it again for
anymore orders today.

www.toolstation.com.

You know it makes sense!

;-)

Christian.

P.S. I bet with the number of screwfix customers' business they must be
getting at the moment, they'll be a bit busy in the warehouse department
themselves...

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few years
ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.

The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up
keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only
done by S/fix :-(

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

:::Jerry::::

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news snip

The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up
keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only
done by S/fix :-(

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came
along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an
online mail-order shed ?

Set Square

Ed Sirett wrote:

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few
years ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.

Not sure what you mean by minimum charge amnesty. Does this mean free
delivery without having to spend 45 quid? If so, does it say this on their
website anywhere, 'cos I can't find it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:10:29 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news snip

The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up
keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only
done by S/fix :-(

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came
along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an
online mail-order shed ?

It's a question of time, and fitting the most things into it in the
most effective way.

We managed without mobile phones as well but they have become a
valuable tool for most people to be able to organise their work more
effectively.

The internet and mobile phones are like sex. Before you've tried
them, you wonder what all the fuss is about. Afterwards, you can't
live without.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Stirling

Set Square wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few
years ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.

Not sure what you mean by minimum charge amnesty. Does this mean free
delivery without having to spend 45 quid? If so, does it say this on their
website anywhere, 'cos I can't find it.

It's in big bold letters plastered all over the site.
Read the banner at the top.
Rick Dipper

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:56:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

chris French wrote:

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on time

It would be nice if the left the site there, and just disabled the
ability to place the order. At least that way you could still research
products and add items to your basket for later purchase.

Thats would mean rework of the website, and that is very likley to go
wrong. The simple banner page is easy to do, and do corectly.

Rick

:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:10:29 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news snip

The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up
keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only
done by S/fix :-(

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came
along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an
online mail-order shed ?

It's a question of time, and fitting the most things into it in the
most effective way.

We managed without mobile phones as well but they have become a
valuable tool for most people to be able to organise their work more
effectively.

The internet and mobile phones are like sex. Before you've tried
them, you wonder what all the fuss is about. Afterwards, you can't
live without.

And just like sex, some people become manic about them and want to do were
ever, when ever....

Andy Hall wrote:

It's a question of time, and fitting the most things into it in the
most effective way.

We managed without mobile phones as well but they have become a
valuable tool for most people to be able to organise their work more
effectively.

The internet and mobile phones are like sex. Before you've tried
them, you wonder what all the fuss is about. Afterwards, you can't
live without.

While I use the internet heavily I've really never found much use for
a mobile phone. I have one and it gets used about two or three times
a year (yes, really!). For that reason I have it on a Virgin PAYG
account so it costs nothing when I don't use it.

--
Chris Green
G&M

"John Rumm" wrote in message
chris French wrote:

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on

time

It would be nice if the left the site there, and just disabled the
ability to place the order. At least that way you could still research
products and add items to your basket for later purchase.

You mean you're the one person in the UK without a crate load of their
catalogues :-)

Bet Screwfix are wishing they hadn't spent money on those TV adds 2 weeks
ago now.

Owain

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I
| gave up keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a
| few things are only done by S/fix :-(

Is it worth ten quid to do a subject data access request on S/fix to get the
info ;-)

Owain

Michael Mcneil

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came
along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an
online mail-order shed ?

Yes; if you want next day delivery.
Otherwise it's a matter of settling things between you and the middleman
there and then and taking immediate delivery without employing extra
people and processes on the way.

Think where we would be if we all went back to that sort of thing.

Yes, I DO know.

At home or at work using the damn things.

But that's beside the point!

:::Jerry::::

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:fb2402499f3c2ef90c3cd35e1ccf33a2.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came
along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an
online mail-order shed ?

Yes; if you want next day delivery.
Otherwise it's a matter of settling things between you and the middleman
there and then and taking immediate delivery without employing extra
people and processes on the way.

But ATM people are not getting them next day, nor the day after that either,
rather than getting off the gluttonous maximus people are complaining about
not being able to order stuff.
/rant....

chris French

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:10:29 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news snip

The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up
keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only
done by S/fix :-(

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came
along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an
online mail-order shed ?

It's a question of time, and fitting the most things into it in the
most effective way.

Indeed. I've got various things I want to get to complete some projects
over the next couple of weeks or so. Sure I can buy them locally, but I
will either have to go to 3-4 different establishments around town to
get them - or trek right across town to the B&Q Warehouse, and probably
pay more. and of course this takes time out of the day.

Sticking in an online order, in evening is just so much easier (when it
works.....)

--
Chris French, Leeds
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:22:41 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

wrote in :

While I use the internet heavily I've really never found much use for
a mobile phone. I have one and it gets used about two or three times
a year (yes, really!). For that reason I have it on a Virgin PAYG
account so it costs nothing when I don't use it.

Me too, mine is strictly for emergencies, and is always switched off unless
there's family trouble about.

I call my answering machine occasionally to keep the account alive.

I hope I never use it, the only numbers in it are breakdown insurance and
next of kin,

I'm totally baffled by the mobile phone culture - except for tradesmen, and
I even know one who won't accept calls on his mobile, they cause too much
disruption to earning a crust.

mike

For some people, especially kids, it's certainly cultural.

It's an important business tool as well.
I spend a lot of time travelling around the rest of Europe on business
and it has become a pretty essential tool to maintain contact with
business partners and customers by voice, text message and even
internet connection when there is no alternative. Introduction of
wireless LAN hotspots has made a big difference to staying in contact
by email etc., and increasingly hotels have hotspots or wired high
speed internet connections. Business applications have expanded to
make use of these technologies so they become an essential part of
daily life.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Set Square

Ian Stirling wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few
years ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.

Not sure what you mean by minimum charge amnesty. Does this mean free
delivery without having to spend 45 quid? If so, does it say this on
their website anywhere, 'cos I can't find it.

It's in big bold letters plastered all over the site.
Read the banner at the top.

Maybe it *was*. But I still can't see it! Is it *still* there?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm

wrote:

chris French wrote:

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on time

It would be nice if the left the site there, and just disabled the
ability to place the order. At least that way you could still research
products and add items to your basket for later purchase.

Thats would mean rework of the website, and that is very likley to go
wrong. The simple banner page is easy to do, and do corectly.

Putting the simple banner on the "Checkout" link (with a warning at the
top of the front page as they have been doing for the past few weeks)
would seem to be equally fool proof.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

G&M wrote:

You mean you're the one person in the UK without a crate load of their
catalogues :-)

Hmmm... had about 3 so far this month ;-)

Not quite the same though, takes longer to search and no cookies to keep
an order in!

(unlike Axminster where the dead tree version is quicker than the web site!)

Bet Screwfix are wishing they hadn't spent money on those TV adds 2 weeks
ago now.

Well - as they say, ultimately all publicity is good publicity.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Stirling

Set Square wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few
years ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.

Not sure what you mean by minimum charge amnesty. Does this mean free
delivery without having to spend 45 quid? If so, does it say this on
their website anywhere, 'cos I can't find it.

It's in big bold letters plastered all over the site.
Read the banner at the top.

Maybe it *was*. But I still can't see it! Is it *still* there?

For me.

rotating banner
"amazing special deals
Free express delivery (no minimum order)
For september only."

Top of the page in the middle.
Anna Kettle

I spend a lot of time travelling around the rest of Europe on business
and it has become a pretty essential tool to maintain contact with

And I had you down as an electrician. International jetsetting
electrician? Maybe not

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
G&M wrote:

snip

Bet Screwfix are wishing they hadn't spent money on those TV adds 2

weeks
ago now.

Well - as they say, ultimately all publicity is good publicity.

Tell that to J. Ratner and company.....

Set Square

Ian Stirling wrote:

For me.

rotating banner
"amazing special deals
Free express delivery (no minimum order)
For september only."

Top of the page in the middle.

Are we looking at the *same* site? My link is
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp - with no such banners. I've
even done several forced refreshes - in case an old version is coming from a
cache, and have disabled my pop-up blocker - all to no avail!

Please post *your* link!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

chris French

In message , Set Square
writes
Ian Stirling wrote:

For me.

rotating banner
"amazing special deals
Free express delivery (no minimum order)
For september only."

Top of the page in the middle.

Are we looking at the *same* site? My link is
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp - with no such banners. I've
even done several forced refreshes - in case an old version is coming from a
cache, and have disabled my pop-up blocker - all to no avail!

Please post *your* link!

I think Ian was talking about Toolstation............

http://www.toolstation.com/
--
Chris French, Leeds
:::Jerry::::

"Set Square" wrote in message
Ian Stirling wrote:

For me.

rotating banner
"amazing special deals
Free express delivery (no minimum order)
For september only."

Top of the page in the middle.

Are we looking at the *same* site? My link is
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp - with no such banners. I've
even done several forced refreshes - in case an old version is coming from

cache, and have disabled my pop-up blocker - all to no avail!

Please post *your* link!

Err, me thinks it's this one http://www.toolstation.com/ - the discussion
had moved on and away from Screwfix.....

Doh ! :~)

Set Square

chris French wrote:

In message , Set Square
writes

Are we looking at the *same* site? My link is
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp - with no such banners.
I've even done several forced refreshes - in case an old version is
coming from a cache, and have disabled my pop-up blocker - all to no
avail!

Please post *your* link!

I think Ian was talking about Toolstation............

http://www.toolstation.com/

Oops! Not surprising that I didn't find it on the Screwfix site, then!

Actually, I have just re-read the thread. It was Ed who first raised this
amnesty business - when replying to a message about Screwfix in which
Toolstation had been mentioned. It's by no means clear though (to me, at any
rate!g) that he was talking about Toolstation and not Screwfix!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ian Stirling

Huge wrote:
writes:
Andy Hall wrote:

snip
We managed without mobile phones as well but they have become a
valuable tool for most people to be able to organise their work more
effectively.

The internet and mobile phones are like sex. Before you've tried
them, you wonder what all the fuss is about. Afterwards, you can't
live without.

snip
And I'd also like to be able to buy a mobile phone without any
"features", please.

I don't especially.
I want one with the features, but organised so that they do not get
in the way of the primary function - a phone.

Colour display - cool!
Great, if they could be on all the time, and show useful status like
if it's got a signal, have you missed a call or have a message.

I could care less if it can play the latest music video as wallpaper, if
it has to turn off in 30 seconds or eat battery life.

Clamshells with an external display are one "sort-of" answer to this, but
bring up their own problems of fragility - it's inherently going to require
more plastic to get the same sort of rigidity and solidity in a hinge and two
parts of the case. Which means they tend to skimp.

I was initially dismissive of the "xpress-on" covers, and all of the clones.
However, if well done, they can transform an "oh bugger, I've just scratched
my phone case on a wall, and I'll now have to send it away" to "buy a new
cover for a fiver".

MP3 player - cool!
But it drains the battery in 3 hours.

And adding another couple of rows of buttons all with tiny little logos
on to access 'features' is just barking mad when it means you have to
shrink the rest of the keys, and make actually entering numbers hard.

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Tell that to J. Ratner and company.....

You still remeber the name, so it worked, kind-of!

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Tell that to J. Ratner and company.....

You still remeber the name, so it worked, kind-of!

Well not really, considering that we remember not to buy from because they
just sell c*ap !..

Anna Kettle

Believe me, there's noting glamorous about going on aeroplanes and
staying in hotels in other countries, Anna. The excitement of
getting up in time for the 0655 to Frankfurt on a February morning
lost its lustre long ago, if it ever had any.
The choices are window or aisle seat on the plane (or centre if
unlucky); trying to eat rather than wear what the airlines claim is
food and then whether the bathroom is on the left or right when
arriving at the hotel.

LOL OK you've convinced me! Funny how other peoples work always seems
much more glamourous than your own. I've just spent two days on hands
and knees crawling around in 20mm of accumulated dust in a church
roofspace inspecting the ceiling below. I am filthy dirty and
exhausted. Yet I get a steady trickle of people who email or phone me
up wanting to know how they can do what I do for a living.

Do you ever get to see any old buildings in your travels? If so, have
you seen any decorative plasterwork? I know Southern Germany / Austria
has sgraffito and someone told me that the Algarve has pargeting, but
I've hardly ever been to the European mainland in my life - always
gone for holidays somewhere more exotic and 3rd worldish

The water should be warm now, so thankfully off for a soak in a hot
bath

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Andy Hall

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:03:58 GMT, (Anna Kettle)
wrote:

LOL OK you've convinced me! Funny how other peoples work always seems
much more glamourous than your own. I've just spent two days on hands
and knees crawling around in 20mm of accumulated dust in a church
roofspace inspecting the ceiling below. I am filthy dirty and
exhausted. Yet I get a steady trickle of people who email or phone me
up wanting to know how they can do what I do for a living.

I guess that one's own chosen occupation seems easy to oneself and
sometimes attractive to others.

Looking at your web site at some of your work, I can appreciate a real
artistry in it as well as what I imagine is going to a huge amount of
trouble to get the authentic and right materials for restoration.

Do you ever get to see any old buildings in your travels?

I don't often have the time, unfortunately - mostly it's arrive at
airport, go to meetings, go to eat, go to hotel, do emails, go to bed
and repeat the next day with different people. Occasionally there
is an opportunity though.

If so, have
you seen any decorative plasterwork? I know Southern Germany / Austria
has sgraffito and someone told me that the Algarve has pargeting, but
I've hardly ever been to the European mainland in my life - always
gone for holidays somewhere more exotic and 3rd worldish

There is certainly a great deal of valuable architecture in Germany,
and it is obvious as you move from northern Germany to Bavaria and
further on - for example gothic churches in the north like the Dom in
Koeln and onion-shaped domes in the south. I've never studied
plasterwork in them, but my guess would be that it's more likely in
the south to have ornate decoration - the northern ones seem to be
much more austere.
Possibly there is more around as you go further south that wasn't
architecturally remodelled by the RAF.

I can ask some colleagues next time I see them as to where makes sense
to go.

It might also be worth looking at places like Budapest. I am pretty
sure that you would find interesting things there.

The water should be warm now, so thankfully off for a soak in a hot
bath

Well deserved by the sound of it.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Stirling

Huge wrote:
Ian Stirling writes:
Huge wrote:

[11 lines snipped]

And I'd also like to be able to buy a mobile phone without any
"features", please.

[17 lines snipped]

I was initially dismissive of the "xpress-on" covers, and all of the clones.
However, if well done, they can transform an "oh bugger, I've just scratched
my phone case on a wall, and I'll now have to send it away" to "buy a new
cover for a fiver".

Or better still, "Who gives a damn?"

Well, if it's worn through the case, I think it's generally time to
get it fixed
I should have said I wasn't talking cosmetics.

(happened when I was working against a concrete surface, and ended up
scraping the phone along a sharp edge.)

Anna Kettle

Looking at your web site at some of your work, I can appreciate a real
artistry in it as well as what I imagine is going to a huge amount of
trouble to get the authentic and right materials for restoration.

Oh thank you kind sir. You mustn't say restoration though it is a
dirty word in the trade. Use conservation or repair

There is certainly a great deal of valuable architecture in Germany,
and it is obvious as you move from northern Germany to Bavaria and
further on - for example gothic churches in the north like the Dom in
Koeln and onion-shaped domes in the south. I've never studied
plasterwork in them, but my guess would be that it's more likely in
the south to have ornate decoration - the northern ones seem to be
much more austere.

and lots of very good Swiss plasterers on their doorstep. Much of the
finest plasterwork in Venice was done by Swiss plasterers

It might also be worth looking at places like Budapest. I am pretty
sure that you would find interesting things there.

Much Polish decorative plaster was lost in the last war, but under
Communism was restored to its original condition so there must be some
excellent plasterers in Poland. Czech plaster is gently fading away I
think and I know nothing about Hungarian plaster

The water should be warm now, so thankfully off for a soak in a hot
bath

Well deserved by the sound of it.

And (getting hastily back to DIY) when I replumb the hot water system
it will

a) Not get cold so quickly
and
b) Be switchonable from my mobile

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Andy Hall

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:25:05 GMT, (Anna Kettle)
wrote:

Looking at your web site at some of your work, I can appreciate a real
artistry in it as well as what I imagine is going to a huge amount of
trouble to get the authentic and right materials for restoration.

Oh thank you kind sir. You mustn't say restoration though it is a
dirty word in the trade. Use conservation or repair

Sorry. Presumably one shouldn't have been so remiss as to let it get
into such a bad state in the first place.

But you also do new commissions as well, yes?

There is certainly a great deal of valuable architecture in Germany,
and it is obvious as you move from northern Germany to Bavaria and
further on - for example gothic churches in the north like the Dom in
Koeln and onion-shaped domes in the south. I've never studied
plasterwork in them, but my guess would be that it's more likely in
the south to have ornate decoration - the northern ones seem to be
much more austere.

and lots of very good Swiss plasterers on their doorstep. Much of the
finest plasterwork in Venice was done by Swiss plasterers

That I didn't know.

It might also be worth looking at places like Budapest. I am pretty
sure that you would find interesting things there.

Much Polish decorative plaster was lost in the last war, but under
Communism was restored to its original condition so there must be some
excellent plasterers in Poland. Czech plaster is gently fading away I
think and I know nothing about Hungarian plaster

The water should be warm now, so thankfully off for a soak in a hot
bath

Well deserved by the sound of it.

And (getting hastily back to DIY) when I replumb the hot water system
it will

a) Not get cold so quickly
and
b) Be switchonable from my mobile

Mr Gabriel can offer advice on that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lobster

wrote:

chris French wrote:

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on

time

It would be nice if the left the site there, and just disabled the
ability to place the order. At least that way you could still research
products and add items to your basket for later purchase.

Thats would mean rework of the website, and that is very likley to go
wrong. The simple banner page is easy to do, and do corectly.

Putting the simple banner on the "Checkout" link (with a warning at the
top of the front page as they have been doing for the past few weeks)
would seem to be equally fool proof.

They now seem to have changed things so that only X number of users can
access the site at once as a mechanism of keeping the volume down. I was
working at my PC this evening, and kept clicking 'refresh' on a Screwfix
window every so often, until finally I managed to get in, and select and
place an order. Very strange way to run a business if you ask me. (the
ONLY reason I used them is that I needed to order some more of the same
lights for a project I'm working on, and didn't know where else to get them
from)

David

Graeme

"Lobster" wrote in message =

=20
They now seem to have changed things so that only X number of users =

can
access the site at once as a mechanism of keeping the volume down. I =

was
working at my PC this evening, and kept clicking 'refresh' on a =

Screwfix
window every so often, until finally I managed to get in, and select =

and
place an order. Very strange way to run a business if you ask me. =

(the
ONLY reason I used them is that I needed to order some more of the =

same
lights for a project I'm working on, and didn't know where else to get =

them
from)
=20
David

And today In the post I got a Screwfix Brochure !!!

I think someone should have asked for them to be put on hold while they =
sorted the website out !!

Screwfix Rainwater Diverter - it's 20mm diameter outlets Mungo Henning UK diy 0 July 1st 04 04:42 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Screwfix garage RCD CU quick q please T i m UK diy 10 March 11th 04 08:20 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM