Russ

Default Laying a shower Tray

We have just made a frame and plywood base for a stone resin shower tray. A
small note says lay it on a weak bed of motar but thats the only info. Any
idea of motar mix and how thick it should be. Any other tips would be
useful

TVM

Russ

chris French

In message , Russ
writes
We have just made a frame and plywood base for a stone resin shower tray. A
small note says lay it on a weak bed of motar but thats the only info. Any
idea of motar mix

I don't think it really matters that much, I would use say 6:1 or 8:1
(Sand:cement) mix.

and how thick it should be.

I probably used bed of about 1cm - 1.5cm

--
Chris French, Leeds
John Rumm

Russ wrote:

We have just made a frame and plywood base for a stone resin shower tray. A
small note says lay it on a weak bed of motar but thats the only info. Any
idea of motar mix and how thick it should be. Any other tips would be
useful

A sand cement mix of 1 part cement to 6 parts sand should be ok...
(anything from say 1:5 up to 1:7 will be fine).

The mix wants to be fairly dry (you don't want it to squidge out of the
edge when you stick the tray on it!). If the ply base is good and solid
then about a half inch of mortar ought to be enough. All the mortar is
doing is making sure the try is supported right over the full area of
the base.

When I did my one the other day, is used a little sharp sand in the mix
(makes it a bit stronger and a little eaiser to tamp down I find). I
also added some waterproofing admixture to the water for the mortar.

One gottcha: Check the length of the neck on the waste trap for the
shower. I noticed on my one that by the time I had 19mm of ply plus
another 12mm of mortar, the trap neck was not going to be be quite long
enough (i.e. you would have difficulty doing up the lock nut on the
waste pipe connection without it fouling on the under side of the ply.
The solution I used, was to mark the area on the under side of the ply
where the fitting nut was, and then route away some of the ply in the
marked area to create a shallow recess.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick Hughes

"Russ" wrote in message
We have just made a frame and plywood base for a stone resin shower tray.

small note says lay it on a weak bed of motar but thats the only info.

Any
idea of motar mix and how thick it should be. Any other tips would be
useful

1:4 cement to sand, mixed semi dry .. i.e. if you crush a handfull it
retains shape and water does not squeeze out.

Remember you are NOT sticking it down, only providing full support
underneath.

I used about a 3/8" (10mm) bed when I did my trays, shuffled the trays left
to right to settle in.

Rick

Another question on my shower tray Charles Middleton UK diy 18 August 19th 04 10:39 PM
tiled shower tray william UK diy 19 July 28th 04 09:03 AM
Shower tray replacement James Fidell UK diy 2 April 29th 04 11:25 PM
Shower tray - advice on selection Lobster UK diy 5 January 9th 04 03:40 PM
Help bedding in a shower tray Martin UK diy 1 January 6th 04 02:31 AM