Andrew Welham

Default should I insulate hot pipes in loft

Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Many Thanks
Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
Ian Stirling

Andrew Welham wrote:
Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I?m going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I?m concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

In an unpressurised system, by definition, they are never going to
practically hit 100C.

Insulation is good.
There is no fire risk.
Andy Hall

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:39:30 +0100, Andrew Welham
wrote:

Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Many Thanks
Andrew

You should definitely insulate all the pipes.

It is possible that something can fail, or that you are away for a few
days etc. and it freezes.

There's no fire risk at all.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message
Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Insulate all water pipes. use the heavier insulation on then hot pipes.

VisionSet

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message
Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Where and how is your combi mounted? on a party wall or gable end ?

--
Mike W

IMM

"VisionSet" wrote in message

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message
Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Where and how is your combi mounted? on a party wall or gable end ?

Put insulation on those pipes and the house will come tumbling down.

Andrew Welham

Its mounted on the party wall near the center of the house.
All the pipes are near the center of the house, even though there not
next to the roof, I'm still concerned about freezing.

Andrew

VisionSet wrote:
"Andrew Welham" wrote in message

Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Where and how is your combi mounted? on a party wall or gable end ?

--
Mike W

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Welham wrote:

Its mounted on the party wall near the center of the house.
All the pipes are near the center of the house, even though there not
next to the roof, I'm still concerned about freezing.

Be eqauul as concverned about heat loss into te rof space. If its a cold
roof as most are tehse days you will have a sub zero wind whipping the
heat out of those pipes faster than you can say 'Intentioally Idiotic
Moron' and lose a huge amount of heating capaciy before the pipes even
get into teh house.

Insulate them *all* to the absolute hilt. Foam wraps, taped down, and
(in my case) chipboard 'trunking' packed with rockwool as well.

Its cheap and it saves money - so why not do it?

Andrew

VisionSet wrote:

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message

Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and
insulation.

Where and how is your combi mounted? on a party wall or gable end ?

--
Mike W

Andrew Welham

VisionSet wrote:

"Andrew Welham" wrote in message

Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only
worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator
feed/return are not insulated. I知 going to insulate the cold pipes. My
question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use
special insulation as I知 concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes
and
insulation.

Where and how is your combi mounted? on a party wall or gable end ?

--
Mike W

Thanks for the advice, all my pipes to and from the combi in the loft
are now well insulated

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Angle Iron for a loft Jim Stewart Metalworking 1 July 17th 03 11:47 PM