Mike Mitchell

Default Steam cleaner, a use at last :-)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:47:11 +0000, Parish wrote:

There is a wonderful story about Heinz baby food, which has a picture of
a happy smiling baby on the tins, failing to sell when launched in a
South American country (not sure which one). Heinz were baffled until
they discovered that, due to the high rate of illiteracy, pictures on
tins of food depicted it's contents. Personally, I suspect that is an
urban myth, or a mixture of both.

Yeah, I was fed on Heinz quite a bit as a baby. Funny, they always
seemed to taste of pork...

MM
Mary Fisher

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
Parish wrote in
:

Mary Fisher wrote:
Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant
something ...

Apparently it was due to being marketed world-wide - the name didn't
work in languages with no 'J' in their alphabet.

Also, apparently, it wasn't called Cif in the UK to begin with as people
might have associated it with syphilis. Funny how they don't mind now...

Rod

We had a D-I-Y ng Northern Meet last night and talked about this subject.
One suggestions - believed to be true - was that the name Jif was changed to
avoid confusion between the cleaning product and the squeezy plastic lemons
designed to deliver plastic lemon juice.

Mary

Parish

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
Parish wrote in
:

Mary Fisher wrote:
Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant
something ...

Apparently it was due to being marketed world-wide - the name didn't
work in languages with no 'J' in their alphabet.

Also, apparently, it wasn't called Cif in the UK to begin with as people
might have associated it with syphilis. Funny how they don't mind now...

Rod

We had a D-I-Y ng Northern Meet last night and talked about this subject.
One suggestions - believed to be true - was that the name Jif was changed to
avoid confusion between the cleaning product and the squeezy plastic lemons
designed to deliver plastic lemon juice.

Hmmm, could be that. The Lever website says:

"In 2001 the brand changed its name to Cif, the global brand name, to
signal a modernisation of the brand to consumers."

http://www.leverfaberge.co.uk/brands/cif.html

Parish

Mary

dmc

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

...... was that the name Jif was changed to
avoid confusion between the cleaning product and the squeezy plastic lemons
designed to deliver plastic lemon juice.

I can see how this confusion could lead to disappointment on shrove Tuesday.

Darren

Mary Fisher

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

...... was that the name Jif was changed to
avoid confusion between the cleaning product and the squeezy plastic

lemons
designed to deliver plastic lemon juice.

I can see how this confusion could lead to disappointment on shrove

Tuesday.

Well, yes, if you can't see different shapes and colours of packaging.

If you suffered like that you shouldn't be making pancakes.

Mary

Darren

Mary Fisher

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
.. .
...... was that the name Jif was changed

avoid confusion between the cleaning product and the squeezy plastic

lemons
designed to deliver plastic lemon juice.

I can see how this confusion could lead to disappointment on shrove

Tuesday.

Well, yes, if you can't see different shapes and colours of packaging.

If you suffered like that you shouldn't be making pancakes.

Mary

Darren

Bugger the pancakes, what about my G & T though a drop of Jif might
improve a glass of Larios, that dreadful Spanish stuff

I imagine that anything tastes dreadful with plastic squeezy 'lemon juice'
in it ...

Mary

Paul Mc Cann

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:57:15 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I imagine that anything tastes dreadful with plastic squeezy 'lemon juice'
in it ...

I don't think the stuff in the plastic lemon is all that bad in an
emergency. I mean, what would you rather have - pancakes with Jif
lemon juice or pancakes without any at all? I buy a Jif lemon and it
lasts me a year. Of course, I never use it again after the first few
squirts, then later still I realise it's been in the fridge all that
time, whereupon I throw it away in disgust. Another few weeks later
and I'm in the supermarket and just happen to pass by the shelf with
Jif lemons. Ah, I could do with one of those, for emergencies, like.

MM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I imagine that anything tastes dreadful with plastic squeezy 'lemon

juice'
in it ...

I don't think the stuff in the plastic lemon is all that bad in an
emergency. I mean, what would you rather have - pancakes with Jif
lemon juice or pancakes without any at all?

The latter.

In an emergency whisky is an excellent substitute. Of course, you miss out
on the ascorbic acid but sacrifices have to be made sometimes.

I buy a Jif lemon and it
lasts me a year. Of course, I never use it again after the first few
squirts, then later still I realise it's been in the fridge all that
time, whereupon I throw it away in disgust. Another few weeks later
and I'm in the supermarket and just happen to pass by the shelf with
Jif lemons. Ah, I could do with one of those, for emergencies, like.

I hold myself back :-)

Mary

MM

geoff

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:46:42 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

Parish wrote in -
berlin.de:

How good is it for that? The TV ads for the JML[1] steam cleaner imply
that it will remove baked on crud, like you get on a barbeque or oven
shelves.

Parish

Rubbish - the only thing my steam cleaner's good for is fridgr and

freezer
defrosting; to be fair it's brilliant at that, but rubbish at stoves.

Best so far for the stove:-

Fairy Power Spray

What's all this about steam not being a boon for cleaning stoves?!!
It's brilliant! You just go over the greasy bits (yeah, I know I'm
supposed to clunk-clean after every trip) with the jet nozzle, leave
for ten minutes to soften and then attack with Flash liquid or the new
Cif

Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant something

Yes - I want to have sex with your unmarried mother in Portugese or
something - i.e. not EU friendly

equivalent. Fairy Power Spray is as weak as horse-****.

Actually, horse **** is powerful stuff.

Does it make bread rise?
--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"geoff" wrote in message

Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant something

Yes - I want to have sex with your unmarried mother in Portugese or
something - i.e. not EU friendly

Don't be silly.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:10:29 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant something

Yes - I want to have sex with your unmarried mother in Portugese or
something - i.e. not EU friendly

Although not all manufacturers have quite got there.

There's a brand of Spanish potato crisps called "Bum" and a Swedish
chocolate bar (a bit like Kit Kat) called "Kex".

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Zymurgy

Andy Hall wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have at last found a valid use for a steam cleaner..... They make a
remarkably good quick job of defrosting fridges and freezers.

Bizarre.

I have frost free refrigeration appliances and use the steam cleaner
for cleaning and in conjunction with an iron. Works great.

They are a useless indulgence. I can't forsee a use for one so I won't
be adding one to my gadget hoard.

Now a small engineering lathe on the other hand ... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.
Zymurgy

"Mary Fisher" wrote
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I imagine that anything tastes dreadful with plastic squeezy 'lemon
juice'

I mean, what would you rather have - pancakes with Jif
lemon juice or pancakes without any at all?

The latter.

In an emergency whisky is an excellent substitute.

Mmmm, must buy some Eggs and Flour tomorrow !

Seems a shame to put decent single malt on a pancake though ...

Cheers

Paul.
Zymurgy

Andy Hall wrote
geoff wrote:
Mary Fisher writes

Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant something

Yes - I want to have sex with your unmarried mother in Portugese or
something - i.e. not EU friendly

Although not all manufacturers have quite got there.

There's a brand of Spanish potato crisps called "Bum" and a Swedish
chocolate bar (a bit like Kit Kat) called "Kex".

I picked up some car shampoo in Italy entitled "EURO SCUM"

Which made me grin a bit ...

Cheers

Paul.

Zymurgy

Mike Mitchell wrote
mike ring wrote:
Parish wrote

The TV ads for the JML[1] steam cleaner imply that it will remove baked
on crud,

Rubbish - the only thing my steam cleaner's good for is fridgr and freezer
defrosting; to be fair it's brilliant at that, but rubbish at stoves.

Best so far for the stove:-

Fairy Power Spray

Fairy Power Spray is as weak as horse-****.

"Flash spray with bleach" is your friend here. Espaecially in a blokes house ... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.
Mary Fisher

"Zymurgy" wrote in message
m...
Andy Hall wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have at last found a valid use for a steam cleaner..... They make a
remarkably good quick job of defrosting fridges and freezers.

Bizarre.

I have frost free refrigeration appliances and use the steam cleaner
for cleaning and in conjunction with an iron. Works great.

They are a useless indulgence.

That depends on your needs.

I can't forsee a use for one so I won't
be adding one to my gadget hoard.

That shows your lack of imagination :-)

Now a small engineering lathe on the other hand ... :-)

You haven't already got one? What are you doing on this ng?

Mary

Cheers,

Paul.

Mary Fisher

"Zymurgy" wrote in message
om...
"Mary Fisher" wrote
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I imagine that anything tastes dreadful with plastic squeezy 'lemon
juice'

I mean, what would you rather have - pancakes with Jif
lemon juice or pancakes without any at all?

The latter.

In an emergency whisky is an excellent substitute.

Mmmm, must buy some Eggs and Flour tomorrow !

Seems a shame to put decent single malt on a pancake though ...

No, it's an excuse to enjoy it. You're only allowed a certain number of
glasses of the good stuff you see, but no-one ever dictated about pancake
sauce ...

.... yet looks round

Mary

Cheers

Paul.

geoff

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:10:29 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant something

Yes - I want to have sex with your unmarried mother in Portugese or
something - i.e. not EU friendly

Although not all manufacturers have quite got there.

There's a brand of Spanish potato crisps called "Bum" and a Swedish
chocolate bar (a bit like Kit Kat) called "Kex".

The list goes on ...

Ficklover - chocolates in Sweden

There are more which I'll remember in due course

--
geoff

geoff

In message , Zymurgy
writes
Andy Hall wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have at last found a valid use for a steam cleaner..... They make a
remarkably good quick job of defrosting fridges and freezers.

Bizarre.

I have frost free refrigeration appliances and use the steam cleaner
for cleaning and in conjunction with an iron. Works great.

They are a useless indulgence. I can't forsee a use for one so I won't
be adding one to my gadget hoard.

Now a small engineering lathe on the other hand ... :-)

I think you just missed a good offer from machine mart

A lathe with a mill attachment for £600 +

a good deal in my estimation

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:10:29 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Why did they change the name? What was wrong with Jif? It meant

something

Yes - I want to have sex with your unmarried mother in Portugese or
something - i.e. not EU friendly

Although not all manufacturers have quite got there.

There's a brand of Spanish potato crisps called "Bum" and a Swedish
chocolate bar (a bit like Kit Kat) called "Kex".

The list goes on ...

Ficklover - chocolates in Sweden

There are more which I'll remember in due course

I seem to remember that Kodak was chosen because it wasn't any kind of word
in any known language ...

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Zymurgy
writes
Andy Hall wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have at last found a valid use for a steam cleaner..... They make a
remarkably good quick job of defrosting fridges and freezers.

Bizarre.

I have frost free refrigeration appliances and use the steam cleaner
for cleaning and in conjunction with an iron. Works great.

They are a useless indulgence. I can't forsee a use for one so I won't
be adding one to my gadget hoard.

Now a small engineering lathe on the other hand ... :-)

I think you just missed a good offer from machine mart

A lathe with a mill attachment for £600 +

Spouse paid about £800 for his from Chester so yes, a good deal indeed.

Mary

a good deal in my estimation

--
geoff

blah

Mary Fisher wrote:

I seem to remember that Kodak was chosen because it wasn't any kind
of word in any known language ...

That's as maybe but try saying "Kodacolor Gold" in a Geordie accent and
see how ridiculous you sound....

Mary Fisher

"blah" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I seem to remember that Kodak was chosen because it wasn't any kind
of word in any known language ...

That's as maybe but try saying "Kodacolor Gold" in a Geordie accent and
see how ridiculous you sound....

I would sound worse than ridiculous b ecause I'm not a Geordie.

Mary

Jim White

In message
"blah" wrote:

That's as maybe but try saying "Kodacolor Gold" in a Geordie accent and
see how ridiculous you sound....

Fillum? :-)

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
blah

Jim White wrote:
In message
"blah" wrote:

That's as maybe but try saying "Kodacolor Gold" in a Geordie accent
and see how ridiculous you sound....

Fillum? :-)

Distant relative of Gollum