Mortimer

Default 16th Edition Test Equipment

I am looking for 16th Edition Test Equipment, insulation resistance
tester to start with and others as funds allow, I have tried eBay but
not sure if I am searching specifically enough as nothing much comes
up. Anyone with experience of eBay able to offer search tips for these
items or indeed any other sites for the equipment ?(preferably second
user) Thanks
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mortimer wrote:
I am looking for 16th Edition Test Equipment, insulation resistance
tester to start with and others as funds allow, I have tried eBay but
not sure if I am searching specifically enough as nothing much comes
up. Anyone with experience of eBay able to offer search tips for these
items or indeed any other sites for the equipment ?(preferably second
user) Thanks

Try this section - it comes up regularly.

http://listings.ebay.co.uk/pool2/plistings/list/all/category1504/index.html?from=R4

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
PoP

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:53:25 -0000, "Chris Oates" none wrote:

you mean this one
http://tinyurl.com/ti8t
which I also bought.

I'm thinking aloud with the following - please correct me if I'm
wrong!

I was under the impression that in order to produce certificates of
conformance then (a) you need to be an NICEIC member and (b) your test
equipment has to be regularly calibrated.

(a) is straightforward enough. However would this meter be a good
candidate to satisfy (b)?

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just wondering.....

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
John Stumbles

"PoP" wrote in message

I was under the impression that in order to produce certificates of
conformance then (a) you need to be an NICEIC member and (b) your test
equipment has to be regularly calibrated.

(a) is straightforward enough.

(a)? Eh?
You seen their entry critera lately?
:-)

Steven Briggs

In message , PoP
writes
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:53:25 -0000, "Chris Oates" none wrote:

you mean this one
http://tinyurl.com/ti8t
which I also bought.

I'm thinking aloud with the following - please correct me if I'm
wrong!

I was under the impression that in order to produce certificates of
conformance then (a) you need to be an NICEIC member and (b) your test
equipment has to be regularly calibrated.

(a) is straightforward enough. However would this meter be a good
candidate to satisfy (b)?

You need to be competent, which _may_ become defined as working for a
NICEIC firm.

Any test kit can be "calibrated", just send it off to one of the many
calibration houses every year, it'll come back with a calibration
certificate, job done. At work we use Universal Instrument Services, who
come on site several times a year and cal any kit that's due.

--
Steve

Lurch

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:49:09 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Steven Briggs
strung together this:

In message , PoP
writes
[...]

If you're in the NIC you can now do 'self calibrations'.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Steven Briggs

In message , Lurch
writes

If you're in the NIC you can now do 'self calibrations'.

How's that work then?

I assume some kit has to be checked every day / before use, i.e. I know
the insulation testers on the production lines at work are checked with
known standard test boxes every day.
Or do you mean checking accuracy of say a voltmeter?
At some point whatever you local "standard reference" is, is itself
going to have to be calibrated against something else that has traceable
calibration.

--
Steve

Chris Oates

"PoP" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:53:25 -0000, "Chris Oates" none wrote:

you mean this one
http://tinyurl.com/ti8t

(b) your test
equipment has to be regularly calibrated.

However would this meter be a good
candidate to satisfy (b)?

It comes with an initial calibration cetificate.

John Southern

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message ...
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:46:47 UTC, (Mortimer) wrote:

I am looking for 16th Edition Test Equipment, insulation resistance
tester to start with and others as funds allow, I have tried eBay but
not sure if I am searching specifically enough as nothing much comes
up. Anyone with experience of eBay able to offer search tips for these
items or indeed any other sites for the equipment ?(preferably second
user) Thanks

I bought an insulation/resistance tester, new, from TLC. About 100 quid
including VAT etc.

you mean this one
http://tinyurl.com/ti8t
which I also bought.

Chris

If ur looking for test equiptment then search eBay using the term
"Megger" you will then find loads of insulation and earth loop
testers. I have a Screwfix 100 quid tester and its ****e when compared
to a decent Megger BM200 tester.
Always go for the Megger or Robin brandnames if possable,you can get a
new Megger 500v Insulation tester and continuity for around 200 its
model number BM121 i think.

Jon.
Lurch

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:00:00 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Steven Briggs
strung together this:

In message , Lurch
writes

If you're in the NIC you can now do 'self calibrations'.

How's that work then?

I assume some kit has to be checked every day / before use, i.e. I know
the insulation testers on the production lines at work are checked with
known standard test boxes every day.
Or do you mean checking accuracy of say a voltmeter?
At some point whatever you local "standard reference" is, is itself
going to have to be calibrated against something else that has traceable
calibration.

If you set up a test rig with a radial for testing Ze\Zs, a radial for
testing RCD, and a basic resistance box of whatever resistance you
want. Then you can check these with currently calibrated meters and
then use these readings to check the results of other meters.
Obviously there is still a need for at least one machine to be
calibrated by a 'proper' calibrator but I think the idea is if you
know how to use them competently then you'll know how to
check\calibrate them correctly as well. We had the NIC inspector round
recently and he clarified these points for me.
Have a look for 2080 electrical checkbox on
http://www.theinstrumentcentre.com/. (Catalogue - Multi\installation
testers)
It's basically a 'homemade' version of one of these.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
PoP

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:17:21 -0000, "Chris Oates" none wrote:

It comes with an initial calibration cetificate.

That answers my question (I think). Thanks!

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Christian McArdle

However, for the earth loop impedance tester I did go to eBay. Got a
nice Robin for 85 quid.

I got current model digital Seaward earth loop and RCD testers for 80-90
quid each, with brand new calibration certificate. I got a "Newlec 121"
insulation/continuity for 30 quid. Working, but not certificated, it appears
to be a rebadged BM121.

Christian.

John Southern

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message . net...
However, for the earth loop impedance tester I did go to eBay. Got a
nice Robin for 85 quid.

I got current model digital Seaward earth loop and RCD testers for 80-90
quid each, with brand new calibration certificate. I got a "Newlec 121"
insulation/continuity for 30 quid. Working, but not certificated, it appears
to be a rebadged BM121.

Christian.

All the Newlec test gear is rebadged AVO Megger although the Newlec
ones are red now but still the same spec as the Megger meters.

Jon.
Mortimer

Steven Briggs wrote in message ...
In message , Lurch
writes

If you're in the NIC you can now do 'self calibrations'.

How's that work then?

I assume some kit has to be checked every day / before use, i.e. I know
the insulation testers on the production lines at work are checked with
known standard test boxes every day.
Or do you mean checking accuracy of say a voltmeter?
At some point whatever you local "standard reference" is, is itself
going to have to be calibrated against something else that has traceable
calibration.

Thanks for all the replies and information. Managed to navigate eBay
and was succesful in getting a Megger CM200 for £323. Thanks again.

16th Edition testers John Horne UK diy 6 January 27th 04 10:26 AM
Ferrolio Optima 901 relief valve test knob Ted UK diy 3 January 8th 04 03:12 AM
RCCB not tripping when test button pushed James W UK diy 9 September 27th 03 12:14 AM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM