Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wireless light switch??

Hi All,

We currently have a room with a central light and two wall lights.

This is wired such that there is a single gang double switch by the door. A
1.5 T&E cable runs from there to the ceiling. Two cores are used as live
and switched live, the €œE€ is used as switched live for the
Wall lights.

There is no requirement in this 1948 house for any of the lighting wiring
to have Earth cables, but it would be nice to regularise the wiring.

Having all the lights on one switch isnt an acceptable solution.

One thought that occurs would be to wire it with €œone switch to switch them
all€. And install wireless bulbs.

So that individual bulbs could be controlled when the circuit is on. Say
via a remote or a smartphone app.

What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is a plate
with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends switched livdd
we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to either some of the bulbs,
or to some electronics in the ceiling void which decides which of the light
fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Holmes wrote

Hi All,

All hanged himself, got too many questions.

We currently have a room with a central light and two wall lights.

This is wired such that there is a single gang double
switch by the door. A 1.5 T&E cable runs from there
to the ceiling. Two cores are used as live and switched

live, the €œE€ is used as switched live for the Wall lights.

There is no requirement in this 1948 house for any of the lighting wiring
to have Earth cables, but it would be nice to regularise the wiring.

You wouldnt need to with the Hue system.

Having all the lights on one switch isnt an acceptable solution.

One thought that occurs would be to wire it with
€œone switch to switch them all€. And install wireless bulbs.

So that individual bulbs could be controlled when the
circuit is on. Say via a remote or a smartphone app.

And by voice with any of the voice assistants.

What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there
is a plate with two switched by the door and pressing either one
sends switched livdd we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal
to either some of the bulbs, or to some electronics in the ceiling
void which decides which of the light fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

Yes.

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

I like the Philips Hue system. Not cheap but not so bad if
you wait for deep discounts on Amazon and you can use
any of the european amazons too, not just amazon.co.uk

Dont use amazon.com tho, for some
reason most of the bulbs arent 100-250V

The kinetic switches can be anywhere and dont use a battery
and you can have duplicate switches in more than one location
and completely automatic movement sensors too.

Very easy to set up. `

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 10:42, Chris Holmes wrote:
What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is a plate
with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends switched livdd
we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to either some of the bulbs,
or to some electronics in the ceiling void which decides which of the light
fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wireless+kinetic+switch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:
This is wired such that there is a single gang double switch by the
door. A 1.5 T&E cable runs from there to the ceiling. Two cores are
used as live and switched live, the ”E• is used as switched live for the
Wall lights.

There is no requirement in this 1948 house for any of the lighting wiring
to have Earth cables, but it would be nice to regularise the wiring.

It certainly would. Using an EEC for other than an earth is a bodge of
the first degree. Especially since three core cable designed for the job
has been around for ever. I'd bee concerned what other bodges have been
done too.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

Chris Holmes wrote:

And any recommendations?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wireless+kinetic+switch

make that quinetic not kinetic

you can register the individual gangs of one or more switches, to one or
more receivers ... bit pricey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 10:42, Chris Holmes wrote:

What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is a plate
with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends switched livdd
we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to either some of the bulbs,
or to some electronics in the ceiling void which decides which of the light
fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

https://www.google.com/search?channe...uinetic+switch

Had these for a couple of years at work, no batteries in the switch.
They work a treat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 20:07:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp about senile cretin Rodent Speed:
"Thick pillock!"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 10:42, Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi All,

We currently have a room with a central light and two wall lights.

This is wired such that there is a single gang double switch by the door. A
1.5 T&E cable runs from there to the ceiling. Two cores are used as live
and switched live, the €œE€ is used as switched live for the
Wall lights.

Somewhat unconventional :-)

There is no requirement in this 1948 house for any of the lighting wiring
to have Earth cables, but it would be nice to regularise the wiring.

There *was* no requirement at the time for lighting to have earth
connections - there is now. So new work will need to comply with current
rules not the old ones.

Having all the lights on one switch isnt an acceptable solution.

One thought that occurs would be to wire it with €œone switch to switch them
all€. And install wireless bulbs.

So that individual bulbs could be controlled when the circuit is on. Say
via a remote or a smartphone app.

What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is a plate
with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends switched livdd
we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to either some of the bulbs,
or to some electronics in the ceiling void which decides which of the light
fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

They do, however how much hassle would it be to replace the drop wire
between ceiling and switch with a 3&E cable? That would let you have
Live in and two switched lives out plus earth and less complication /
electronics / home automation requirement.

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:25:17 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:

Chris Holmes wrote:

And any recommendations?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wireless+kinetic+switch

make that quinetic not kinetic

you can register the individual gangs of one or more switches, to one or
more receivers ... bit pricey.

I thought it was qinetic
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

make that quinetic not kinetic

you can register the individual gangs of one or more switches, to one or
more receivers ... bit pricey.

I thought it was qinetic

Probably, best to check with quantas as arquiva ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 10:42, Chris Holmes wrote:
What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is a plate

with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends switched livdd
we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to either some of the bulbs,
or to some electronics in the ceiling void which decides which of the light
fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

Somewhat aside, maybe, but I was looking at these sorts of things, for
me ol mam, who is banged up in s so-called "care home", and combining
them with a Broadlink RF device so I can turn her lights off at night
when the "carers" don't, or the fan, or whatever. Some switches also
have a little LED guide to a touch panel for those less dextrous.

https://www.smart-light.co.uk/produc...mart-switches/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:20:41 +0100
gareth evans wrote:

On 14/06/2021 10:42, Chris Holmes wrote:
What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is
a plate with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends
switched livdd we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to
either some of the bulbs, or to some electronics in the ceiling
void which decides which of the light fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

Google Idratek

Telling people to google?

How very woke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 11:25, Andy Burns wrote:
make that quinetic not kinetic

Quinetic is a brand.

Other kinetic wireless switches are available, I have no idea if they're
any good but Big Clive has some info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abJCIgRKQk0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 11:28, R D S wrote:
On 14/06/2021 10:42, Chris Holmes wrote:

What I would prefer is a wired/wireless solution, whereby there is a plate
with two switched by the door and pressing either one sends switched livdd
we to the ceiling and sends a wireless signal to either some of the bulbs,
or to some electronics in the ceiling void which decides which of the light
fittings to power.

Do such systems exist?

If so, what search term should I use?

And any recommendations?

https://www.google.com/search?channe...uinetic+switch

Had these for a couple of years at work, no batteries in the switch.
They work a treat.

So have I. A twin wall switch operates the ceiling or wall lights. It is
important, however, to switch them on one at a time, or they get out of
positional sync.

--

Jeff

Converting SINGLE light switch to MULTIPLE light switch usingWIRELESS control? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 6 December 1st 11 03:11 PM
wireless eetra light light switch + so,e persomal stuff y don'trea;;y want to knoww! tonyjeffs[_2_] UK diy 0 October 18th 09 05:23 AM
wireless light switch Andrew UK diy 7 March 24th 06 03:17 PM
Help with adding wireless switch to ceiling light Daren Desjardins Home Repair 3 September 13th 04 07:16 PM
Wireless slave light switch Michael Brewer UK diy 6 February 19th 04 06:06 PM