Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew

Default wireless light switch

Needing a quick fix to avoid chasing out walls and ceiling...

Does anyone know of a wireless light switch setup that:

- looks like a normal lightswitch (or fits into an existing one)
- does not have a bulky receiver/transformer at the light, ideally a
device that plugs into a bayonet which the bulb can plug into in turn

I only want to control one light, on/off so ideally want a pure RF
switch rather than a set of 3 X10 products.

any help gratefully received

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/32372i0.jpg
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...O&U=SEOsear c
hPages&doy=search--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew

Thanks for the reply Benjamin. It's not really what I'm after though.

My problem is that I have a problem with the wiring between a ceiling
lamp and the existing light switch on the wall on the opposite side of
the room.

The ceiling lamp has power but there is no continuity to the switch.

I want to install a wireless switch on the wall in the same place as
the existing switch and install a receiver at the lamp to switch the
lamp, rather than chase out and redecorate.

sorry if I was not clear before.

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Andrew wrote:
Needing a quick fix to avoid chasing out walls and ceiling...

Does anyone know of a wireless light switch setup that:

- looks like a normal lightswitch (or fits into an existing one)
- does not have a bulky receiver/transformer at the light, ideally a
device that plugs into a bayonet which the bulb can plug into in turn

The "Easy Switch" system works with 13A sockets or fixed wiring, not
bayonet fittings, but it works very well and might be adaptable for your
purpose:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind.../EasySwitch/in
dex.html

I have those in use in two rooms, for table lamps. The switch looks
perfectly normal (it's actually one half of a normal two-gang switch,
with the other gang switching the ceiling light in the normal way), and
it works normally, apart from a split-second delay and an audible click
from the receivers (not as loud as X10, though).

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Andrew wrote:

My problem is that I have a problem with the wiring between a ceiling
lamp and the existing light switch on the wall on the opposite side of
the room.

The ceiling lamp has power but there is no continuity to the switch.

I want to install a wireless switch on the wall in the same place as
the existing switch and install a receiver at the lamp to switch the
lamp, rather than chase out and redecorate.

Firstly, how come the ceiling lamp has power? Surely the live
wire to it must go through that switch. In which case maybe the
switch is faulty and should be easily replaced. If there is a
problem with the wiring is it safe to leave it like that?

Secondly, if the wire needs replacing it may be possible pull a
new wire through by attaching it to the old wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil D.

Light probably has power because its wired in the 3 plate system common in
many house....

Full feed at every light then drop a switchwire from each light to the
switch.

I agree on the latter... i did house bashin for years, its amazing where you
can get cables if you put ur mind to it, lol.

Neil

"Nick" wrote in message
Andrew wrote:

My problem is that I have a problem with the wiring between a ceiling
lamp and the existing light switch on the wall on the opposite side of
the room.

The ceiling lamp has power but there is no continuity to the switch.

I want to install a wireless switch on the wall in the same place as
the existing switch and install a receiver at the lamp to switch the
lamp, rather than chase out and redecorate.

Firstly, how come the ceiling lamp has power? Surely the live wire to it
must go through that switch. In which case maybe the switch is faulty and
should be easily replaced. If there is a problem with the wiring is it
safe to leave it like that?

Secondly, if the wire needs replacing it may be possible pull a new wire
through by attaching it to the old wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew

unfortunately, the type of wiring already in place is Pyro (MICC) so I
don't think I'm going to be able to pull new wire through, more's the
pity!

seems like options are running out:
- chase out and redecorate ceiling and walls
- have odd and ugly conduit on surface
- miracle product to save the day...

pyro is supposed to be resilient with problems usually being the end
connections. I had the light checked by an electrician though and that
was the verdict.