UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Removing facefbook

Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?



GIYF :-

https://www.google.com/search?client...emove+facebook

16 million results. 0.46 seconds
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 145
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Set fire to it, then sit on it.

Why post such crap here? Go 'way.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?

I cancelled mine when they banned Trump ...but don't log back in by
mistake for a month or you will be back on ..
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Removing facefbook

In article ,
Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?

I cancelled mine when they banned Trump ...


Absolutely no surprise there. That you followed one of the most dishonest
people in public life, outside 3rd world countries.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


I'm assuming you're talking of the website?

In which case follow this article; where you add the Facebook domain to
the Windows Hosts file:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/bloc...ng-hosts-file/

It is a way of effectively blocking sites.
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39,563
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


I thought it was a web site so not 'on' your computer in the first place


--
"Women actually are capable of being far more than the feminists will
let them."


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 13:43, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


I thought it was a web site so not 'on' your computer in the first place


At one time there was a Windows App, but no longer available:

https://www.windowscentral.com/faceb...ys-use-browser

  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Removing facefbook

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25,191
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 14:14, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.


and delete all its related cookies so it can't track you aia every
facebook "button" and script on third party web sites.

Also use

https://www.facebook.com/off_faceboo.../activity_list

To find out what other business have shared with them...


--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 420
Default Removing facefbook



"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.


except for the hundreds of websites with Facebook buttons on them

many of which will be silently [1] collecting data about you for storage on
the FB server

Tim

[1] after you have accepted cookies, of course





  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25,191
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 16:16, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/06/2021 14:14, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
*** Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.


and delete all its related cookies so it can't track you aia every
facebook "button" and script on third party web sites.

Also use

https://www.facebook.com/off_faceboo.../activity_list

To find out what other business have shared with them...



oh, and you can also turn off future "off-facebook" activity collection
there as well (third parties will still send it, but the won't (they
claim) link it to your account)


--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 870
Default Removing facefbook

Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


I put a few entries in the Windows HOSTS file, to ensure
I don't feed the machine too much data.

But I don't obsess about it, and they could easily add
domains for tracking "non-customer". They track everybody,
whether you use their service or not. That's why there
are so many beacons on individual web pages. They pay sites
to host such rubbish. When you block the facebook sites,
you send less data to them when visiting totally unrelated sites.

There will be more than one of these lists around, so you
can shop for the most-extensive one. Near the bottom.

https://qz.com/1234502/how-to-block-...sing-facebook/

The purpose of the HOSTS file is to remap symbolic domains
to non-existent IP addresses. For example, if you ran a
local web server (IIS) on your machine, and did

127.0.0.1 somestupidcommercialsite.com

then your own web server would get the query intended for the
commercial site. Thus, some thought goes into the form of
the HOSTS entries.

The HOSTS file is cross-platform, but burbled up from UNIX to
the others. There's a table of file system locations for
storage of HOSTS, available here. Windows will have two file
system locations, with Windows XP stored slightly differently
than Vista+. Just a guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29

Note that, on Windows 10, Microsoft bypasses HOSTS when it
needs to visit vortex. There are a number of addresses you
cannot bypass, to "starve" Microsoft. Just so you know.
Every bucket must have holes in it.

Paul
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Removing facefbook

In article ,
tim... wrote:


"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.


except for the hundreds of websites with Facebook buttons on them


many of which will be silently [1] collecting data about you for storage
on the FB server


If a site you choose to visit passes on data to another, the solution is
in your hands.

Tim


[1] after you have accepted cookies, of course


Which is your choice.





--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,696
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 12:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?

I cancelled mine when they banned Trump ...


Absolutely no surprise there. That you followed one of the most dishonest
people in public life, outside 3rd world countries.

loved him....


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,696
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 19:54, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 12:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
*** Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?
I cancelled mine when they banned Trump ...


Absolutely no surprise there. That you followed one of the most dishonest
people in public life, outside 3rd world countries.

loved him....

the woke hated him...teehee
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 18:22, Paul wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


I put a few entries in the Windows HOSTS file, to ensure
I don't feed the machine too much data.

But I don't obsess about it, and they could easily add
domains for tracking "non-customer". They track everybody,
whether you use their service or not. That's why there
are so many beacons on individual web pages. They pay sites
to host such rubbish. When you block the facebook sites,
you send less data to them when visiting totally unrelated sites.

There will be more than one of these lists around, so you
can shop for the most-extensive one. Near the bottom.

https://qz.com/1234502/how-to-block-...sing-facebook/


The purpose of the HOSTS file is to remap symbolic domains
to non-existent IP addresses. For example, if you ran a
local web server (IIS) on your machine, and did

127.0.0.1* somestupidcommercialsite.com

then your own web server would get the query intended for the
commercial site. Thus, some thought goes into the form of
the HOSTS entries.

The HOSTS file is cross-platform, but burbled up from UNIX to
the others. There's a table of file system locations for
storage of HOSTS, available here. Windows will have two file
system locations, with Windows XP stored slightly differently
than Vista+. Just a guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29

Note that, on Windows 10, Microsoft bypasses HOSTS when it
needs to visit vortex. There are a number of addresses you
cannot bypass, to "starve" Microsoft. Just so you know.
Every bucket must have holes in it.


It's good to see you got the inspiration from a post of mine some 6
hours ago. :-)
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 870
Default Removing facefbook

Fredxx wrote:
On 05/06/2021 18:22, Paul wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


I put a few entries in the Windows HOSTS file, to ensure
I don't feed the machine too much data.

But I don't obsess about it, and they could easily add
domains for tracking "non-customer". They track everybody,
whether you use their service or not. That's why there
are so many beacons on individual web pages. They pay sites
to host such rubbish. When you block the facebook sites,
you send less data to them when visiting totally unrelated sites.

There will be more than one of these lists around, so you
can shop for the most-extensive one. Near the bottom.

https://qz.com/1234502/how-to-block-...sing-facebook/


The purpose of the HOSTS file is to remap symbolic domains
to non-existent IP addresses. For example, if you ran a
local web server (IIS) on your machine, and did

127.0.0.1 somestupidcommercialsite.com

then your own web server would get the query intended for the
commercial site. Thus, some thought goes into the form of
the HOSTS entries.

The HOSTS file is cross-platform, but burbled up from UNIX to
the others. There's a table of file system locations for
storage of HOSTS, available here. Windows will have two file
system locations, with Windows XP stored slightly differently
than Vista+. Just a guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29

Note that, on Windows 10, Microsoft bypasses HOSTS when it
needs to visit vortex. There are a number of addresses you
cannot bypass, to "starve" Microsoft. Just so you know.
Every bucket must have holes in it.


It's good to see you got the inspiration from a post of mine some 6
hours ago. :-)


127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 error.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 api-read.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 api.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 star.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 check6.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 api.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1 developers.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 api.twitter.com
127.0.0.1 autotrader.ca
127.0.0.1 www.autotrader.ca
127.0.0.1 districtm.io

I don't have a reliable datestamp on the file.
And I didn't do a changelog inside, so can't tell that
way.

That set has been there for a while.

It's possible the OS was installed 2016, but the
HOSTS file may have been copied over from the wreck
before it.

The wrecked OS partition is still around, the HOSTS
file has the same list, the date is 2013. That means
my token effort to blot out Facebook has been sitting
there for about eight years or so.

You can tell from that, not very many sites generate
enough interest, to get added. For Facebook, I made
an exception.

Paul
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default Removing facefbook

Its abit like Hotel California, you can check out any time you like but you
can never leave. IE you will easily unsubscribe and block all emails but
your content and usage lives on.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
...
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?



  #20   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default Removing facefbook

That is hardly helpful is it? I would ask a similar question, since as I say
no matter how you get rid of it or do not actually use it or unsubscribe,
you will find its still tracking you if you are not very careful.Remember
its not Just Facebook, they own a lot of other companies now, and unless you
change your ip address etc, you will be tracked. Most of that time it is of
no consequence, but there does come a time when so much data on a given
person is known, it is easy to identify them. Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
...
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?


Set fire to it, then sit on it.

Why post such crap here? Go 'way.





  #21   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,213
Default Removing facefbook

On 05/06/2021 19:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 19:54, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 12:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
*** Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?
I cancelled mine when they banned Trump ...

Absolutely no surprise there. That you followed one of the most
dishonest
people in public life, outside 3rd world countries.

loved him....

the woke hated him...teehee


While the USA economy boomed, until Chinese Flu arrived.
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 129
Default Removing facefbook



"Andrew" wrote in message
...
On 05/06/2021 19:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 19:54, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 12:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 05/06/2021 10:39, Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?
I cancelled mine when they banned Trump ...

Absolutely no surprise there. That you followed one of the most
dishonest
people in public life, outside 3rd world countries.

loved him....


the woke hated him...teehee


While the USA economy boomed, until Chinese Flu arrived.


Nothing to do with Trump, it would have boomed anyway.

  #23   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,560
Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 03:34:21 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/r...d-faq.2973853/
  #24   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,829
Default Removing facefbook

John Rumm wrote:

use

https://www.facebook.com/off_faceboo.../activity_list
To find out what other business have shared with them...


"You must log in to continue." no thanks
  #25   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25,191
Default Removing facefbook

On 07/06/2021 07:42, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

use

https://www.facebook.com/off_faceboo.../activity_list
To find out what other business have shared with them...


"You must log in to continue." no thanks


Think it through logically...

If you already have a login, then you may as well use it, since it will
let you see exactly what information[1] they hold on you. Logging in to
find out just that gives them little new information of relevance. It
also allow you to set limits on what they collect in future.

If you don't already have a login then they won't hold any information
tied to that login[2] (that does not exist) so you would not be able to
retrieve it anyway even if you created one.


[1] That they are prepared to admit to anyway.

[2] They probably still have some information about you since your
contact details will likely be included in the contact lists of others
what have shared them with FB - it may be in an aggregated form.

--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/


  #26   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 420
Default Removing facefbook



"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
tim... wrote:


"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?

Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.


except for the hundreds of websites with Facebook buttons on them


many of which will be silently [1] collecting data about you for storage
on the FB server


If a site you choose to visit passes on data to another, the solution is
in your hands.


non trivially though



Tim


[1] after you have accepted cookies, of course


Which is your choice.


as I want sites where I "log in" to keep my log in persistent, I have no
choice but to globally accept cookies

The tiny benefit of turning cookies off so that I can't be tracked, just
isn't worth the hassle of have to manually log on each time that I visit a
site



  #27   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25,191
Default Removing facefbook

On 08/06/2021 07:09, tim... wrote:


"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
* tim... wrote:


"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
...
In article ,
** Broadback wrote:
Is there an easy way to remove it in total from my computer please?

Eh? It's simply another URL on my browser. Remove it from that address
book and in practice it no longer exists.


except for the hundreds of websites with Facebook buttons on them


many of which will be silently [1] collecting data about you for storage
on the FB server


If a site you choose to visit passes on data to another, the solution is
in your hands.


non trivially though



Tim


[1] after you have accepted cookies, of course


Which is your choice.


as I want sites where I "log in" to keep my log in persistent, I have no
choice but to globally accept cookies

The tiny benefit of turning cookies off so that I can't be tracked, just
isn't worth the hassle of have to manually log on each time that I visit
a site


More to the point, there are plenty of tracking technologies that work
just fine with cookies disabled.

Another case of poor legislation. They wanted to ban a behaviour (i.e.
tracking) but instead proscribed a particular technology that was
currently used to support tracking rather than actually banning tracking
itself. So it just means that anyone wanting to track is still free to
do so, but need to use a different technology like browser
fingerprinting etc. More to the point, we now get daft cookie popups on
every site, that confuse most visitors, and don't actually address the
behaviour they wanted to legislate against.


--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing (cross type) tap handle without removing headgear doesn't get me wet, right? Harold Davis UK diy 4 November 30th 17 03:39 PM
Removing scratches from slate Chris Oates UK diy 2 July 21st 03 01:24 PM
Removing tile transfers Barb UK diy 6 July 13th 03 01:25 PM
Removing a hydronic towel heater rail help? Bob Mannix UK diy 1 July 10th 03 04:01 PM
Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete? Chris Wilson UK diy 2 July 10th 03 12:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"