Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cherry picker for small soffit repair?

This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

They might be legal, but no-one will insure them

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

No idea, but I see cherry picker hire starts at £100 a day. Cheaper to do
that than faff around erecting towers?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very good points Charles and Theo.
I'm convinced, thanks.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/05/2021 09:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

What's a zip up tower on wheels?

Tower scaffold/PAV/MEWP?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 10:26:21 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Very good points Charles and Theo.
I'm convinced, thanks.

Mate hired one to do some work on his mates two story bungalow design
house gable end and it said it was unnerving wobbly, reverting to a
frame / scaffold thing for subsequent works.

Not suggesting it got close to falling over but I think he said you
have to pay very close attention to the stability and levelness of the
ground and it's not that easy to rectify if it's not ideal (because of
the weight of the thing and the fact that it's 'mobile').

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Very good points Charles and Theo.
I'm convinced, thanks.

Mate hired one to do some work on his mates two story bungalow design
house gable end and it said it was unnerving wobbly, reverting to a
frame / scaffold thing for subsequent works.

Not suggesting it got close to falling over but I think he said you
have to pay very close attention to the stability and levelness of the
ground and it's not that easy to rectify if it's not ideal (because of
the weight of the thing and the fact that it's 'mobile').

Cheers, T i m

I hired a towable one to paint the front and sides of my house and it was
just brilliant. I did have one incident though. It had four extendable
legs with feet that needed to be wound down firmly at each corner and motor
cut-out switches in each leg to prevent you using it without winding the
feet down.

I discovered that if you dont wind the feet down really firmly, it was
possible when the lifting arm was at full lateral reach, it reduced the
load on the diametrically opposite foot enough to cause the cut-out switch
to trip leaving you stranded up in the air.

Its at times like these you bless the invention of mobile phones. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2021 09:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

If it's just a couple of days use a cherry picker. If it's going to be
weeks use a tower.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May 2021 10:01:05 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

I hired a towable one

I think this was 'self propelled' and was delivered.

to paint the front and sides of my house and it was
just brilliant. I did have one incident though. It had four extendable
legs with feet that needed to be wound down firmly at each corner and motor
cut-out switches in each leg to prevent you using it without winding the
feet down.

That sounds like a better solution. I'm not sure the one mate hired
had that (as I think you could move it whilst being up on the
platform).

I discovered that if you don’t wind the feet down really firmly, it was
possible when the lifting arm was at full lateral reach, it reduced the
load on the diametrically opposite foot enough to cause the cut-out switch
to trip leaving you stranded up in the air.

Doh! The tower crane I wired allowed you to lower or bring a load in,
not lift or extend a load, once the 'overload' was tripped.

It’s at times like these you bless the invention of mobile phones. ;-)

Quite. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 10:37:38 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 29/05/2021 09:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

What's a zip up tower on wheels?

Tower scaffold/PAV/MEWP?

I must be getting old, some years ago there'd be the ocassional person
who knew what I was on about. Alas those days are fast receding into
the distant past.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/05/2021 09:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

What's a zip up tower on wheels?

Tower scaffold/PAV/MEWP?

I must be getting old, some years ago there'd be the ocassional person
who knew what I was on about. Alas those days are fast receding into
the distant past.

and you still haven't told us

--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 May 2021 12:20:13 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 29/05/2021 09:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?

What's a zip up tower on wheels?

Tower scaffold/PAV/MEWP?

I must be getting old, some years ago there'd be the ocassional person
who knew what I was on about. Alas those days are fast receding into
the distant past.

and you still haven't told us

OK, for you I'll make the supreme effort.
The cherry picker was a fixture on the back of a large lorry, not a
toy diy version.

A zip up scaffold was what they were called in my story.
They had integal clips on the poles that just clicked into place and
preformed floor panels that did the same.

One of those... on wheels.

What got me going was that the soffit panel was entirely 8 feet above
a balcony. So a small set of step ladders would have sufficed.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:

A zip up scaffold was what they were called in my story.
They had integal clips on the poles that just clicked into place and
preformed floor panels that did the same.
One of those... on wheels.

Still exist, now with out-rigger legs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine it would depend on the stability of the ground in both cases.
Having once been up in a cherry picker I actually felt seasick when I moved
around. Not exactly rock solid. I guess whatever you used could be secured
to the building in some way. A cherry picker should be faster than a tower.
Don't see the safety angle as long as when you climb up you make sure you
are secured to the tower and that its stable.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
This is for the repair of a small area of soffit on a 3 storey
building.
The justification was that zip-up towers on wheels are no longer legal
in such a situation. Can this be true?
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just take your sea sick pills with you...
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
Very good points Charles and Theo.
I'm convinced, thanks.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 May 2021 08:33:27 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

I'd imagine it would depend on the stability of the ground in both cases.
Having once been up in a cherry picker I actually felt seasick when I moved
around. Not exactly rock solid. I guess whatever you used could be secured
to the building in some way. A cherry picker should be faster than a tower.
Don't see the safety angle as long as when you climb up you make sure you
are secured to the tower and that its stable.
Brian

At the risk of disqualifying my original question, I'm not doing the
job myself, just paying for a proportion of it and wondering how many
bottles of vino I'll have to deny myself to cover the cost.
--

Mike

Cherry Picker John UK diy 182 November 8th 19 08:25 PM
Quick cherry picker question David UK diy 28 December 7th 14 11:06 AM
Cherry picker, but pole, not platform! MM UK diy 16 June 11th 14 10:55 AM
Cherry picker hire? Pete Zahut[_4_] UK diy 25 December 3rd 10 01:31 AM
Cherry-picker Rates [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 1st 10 04:14 PM