Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fan oven motor

Turned my oven on tonight and the fan just hummed and didnt spin. Turned
it off and spun it with a stick poked through the slots and it ran fine
after that.

Im guessing its on its way out but was wondering if there is any future
in trying to lubricate the bearings or whether to cut my losses any just
order a new fan before it fails totally.

If it *is* worth trying to lubricate the bearings, what sort of oil should
I use?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 19:54, Tim+ wrote:

Turned my oven on tonight and the fan just hummed and didnt spin. Turned
it off and spun it with a stick poked through the slots and it ran fine
after that.

Im guessing its on its way out but was wondering if there is any future
in trying to lubricate the bearings or whether to cut my losses any just
order a new fan before it fails totally.

If it *is* worth trying to lubricate the bearings, what sort of oil should
I use?

Tim

Oven fan? probly phosphor bronze bushings. I'd say 3 in 1 except its
gonna be up to 200C.

Silicone spray?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JENOLITE-Si.../dp/B0897VM3BF

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 19:54, Tim+ wrote:

Turned my oven on tonight and the fan just hummed and didnt spin. Turned
it off and spun it with a stick poked through the slots and it ran fine
after that.

Im guessing its on its way out but was wondering if there is any future
in trying to lubricate the bearings or whether to cut my losses any just
order a new fan before it fails totally.

If it *is* worth trying to lubricate the bearings, what sort of oil should
I use?

The one I came across is where the fan motor was a modest distance from
the fan, where the shaft went through the rear of the oven and so was
much cooler than the oven temperature.

In which case anything to hand should be good. You might find that it's
crud that is seizing the motor and a liberal spray with oil will assist
greatly if only to displace the crud.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 21:11, Fredxx wrote:
On 26/05/2021 19:54, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

From experience, lubrication doesn't seem to work for long. You may
well be able to change the bearings though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
Oven fan? probly phosphor bronze bushings. I'd say 3 in 1 except its gonna be
up to 200C.

Are you sure they run that hot? Our gas oven fan draws cool(er) air in
from the back/rear of the ovens, through the oven and out via the front
door. Idea is, it prevents heat build up around the built in oven
casing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
Oven fan? probly phosphor bronze bushings. I'd say 3 in 1 except its gonna be
up to 200C.

Are you sure they run that hot? Our gas oven fan draws cool(er) air in
from the back/rear of the ovens, through the oven and out via the front
door. Idea is, it prevents heat build up around the built in oven
casing.

Electric ovens just circulate the contained air. As my wife bakes sourdough
bread regularly its often cranked up to 220C which I suspect is taking its
toll.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2021 07:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
Oven fan? probly phosphor bronze bushings. I'd say 3 in 1 except its
gonna be up to 200C.

Are you sure they run that hot? Our gas oven fan draws cool(er) air in
from the back/rear of the ovens, through the oven and out via the front
door. Idea is, it prevents heat build up around the built in oven casing.

Well you are probably right. I had a brain fade and was thinking they
were extractor fans - they arent really are they - more circulation fans.

However my comments on bronze bearings stand. The quick fix is a squirt
of oil, the better fix is a complete soak on first of all solvent to
remove the old hard lubricant, and then soak in oil afterwards - the
bronze actually absorbs it.

Needless to say th e latter is mostly impractical and once you have the
fan out you might as well shove in a new one

--
when things get difficult you just have to lie

Jean Claud Jüncker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2021 07:57, Tim+ wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
Oven fan? probly phosphor bronze bushings. I'd say 3 in 1 except its gonna be
up to 200C.

Are you sure they run that hot? Our gas oven fan draws cool(er) air in
from the back/rear of the ovens, through the oven and out via the front
door. Idea is, it prevents heat build up around the built in oven
casing.

Electric ovens just circulate the contained air. As my wife bakes sourdough
bread regularly its often cranked up to 220C which I suspect is taking its
toll.

well mine - I had serviced the Aga yesterday so had to use the electric
oven to roast my dinner - blows warm air and roast-chickeny smells out
the front, so it's not *just* circulating

But you make a point, it's certainly not operating at ambient temps

Somewhere in between.

My experience with model plane motors with bronze bearings also suggests
they tend to go bad when the motor has been pushed too hard and got too hot.

Tim

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2021 07:57, Tim+ wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
Oven fan? probly phosphor bronze bushings. I'd say 3 in 1 except its gonna be
up to 200C.

Are you sure they run that hot? Our gas oven fan draws cool(er) air in
from the back/rear of the ovens, through the oven and out via the front
door. Idea is, it prevents heat build up around the built in oven
casing.

Electric ovens just circulate the contained air. As my wife bakes sourdough
bread regularly its often cranked up to 220C which I suspect is taking its
toll.

But the motor itself is usually outside the oven cavity and its
insulation and often has a second fan on the shaft, to keep the motor
much cooler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 19:54, Tim+ wrote:

Turned my oven on tonight and the fan just hummed and didnt spin. Turned
it off and spun it with a stick poked through the slots and it ran fine
after that.

Im guessing its on its way out but was wondering if there is any future
in trying to lubricate the bearings or whether to cut my losses any just
order a new fan before it fails totally.

If it *is* worth trying to lubricate the bearings, what sort of oil should
I use?

I've had the same problem, more than once. I use a few drops of three-in-one or whatever is handy. Any oil you use will evaporate over time as the unit gets exposed to quite a bit of heat, so maybe some high-temperature oils would be better, I don't know. Every couple of years the fan in our oven makes noises and starts to jam, so I know it's time to get the back off the oven and oil the bearings again.

--
Clive Page