Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ultrasonic cleaners - recommendations?

I've been tempted for a long time but haven't taken the plunge, so a few
questions to those who have: what do you use yours for? Are the cheaper
ones any good? Any recommendations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 10:40:10 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 26/05/2021 09:55, wrote:
I've been tempted for a long time but haven't taken the plunge, so a few
questions to those who have: what do you use yours for? Are the cheaper
ones any good? Any recommendations?

My only experiences have been with an Elizabeth Duke sonic jewellery cleaner, used regularly for 20 years or so. It does an excellent job removing everyday grease and skin cells from rings, necklaces etc but I doubt it would have the cojones to clean a carburettor, even if the tank was big enough to accommodate one.

More recently, I bought a sonic cleaning brush with several interchangeable heads from Lakeland. While it's not quite the domestic miracle the marketers would like us to believe, it does remove much of the effort from such tasks as getting rid of black mould from the sealant round the bathtub or removing greasy dust from the ventilation grille above the oven.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember putting a pcb in one once and it took all the screen printed
legends off the components and the pcb.
ahem.
Then again, a very old broach actually fell to bits in one with the tiny
gems bobbing about in the liquid, so one needs to know how things are
secured before trying this stuff.
IE don't use it to clean old radio dials as I did as all the print cam off
leaving wme with a bit of glass.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 26/05/2021 09:55,
wrote:
I've been tempted for a long time but haven't taken the plunge, so a few
questions to those who have: what do you use yours for? Are the cheaper
ones any good? Any recommendations?

I had a cheap one (oval plastic), I used it on jewellery occasionally.
Although it made the right noises, I didn't think it was anything like as
powerful as proper small laboratory models.

I see eBay now has "professional" 3 litre models complete with heater that
look much like the lab ones I used from £40 upwards.

Some of the chinese dealers quote "powers" which should be a useful guide.

Ultrasonic cleaners Cliff Topp UK diy 11 May 6th 21 07:36 PM
Ultrasonic cleaners fred[_8_] UK diy 15 October 6th 17 03:48 PM
RugDoctor any experiences, or recommendations for other carpet cleaners? [email protected] UK diy 18 December 5th 09 08:28 PM
CPC ultrasonic cleaners Newshound UK diy 44 July 30th 07 12:42 PM
Ultrasonic cleaners D.M. Procida UK diy 11 April 25th 07 11:19 PM