Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ultrasonic cleaners

I recently bought one very similar to this https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b
(link goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as
there are only two parameters to set, time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as
what temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want to
clean up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst centre
stone and small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so does
anyone have suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and
maybe a printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time), so
what settings would I use in those situations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 04 May 2021 12:41:19 +0100, Cliff Topp wrote:

I recently bought one very similar to this https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b
(link goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as
there are only two parameters to set, time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as
what temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want to
clean up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst centre
stone and small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so does
anyone have suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and
maybe a printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time), so
what settings would I use in those situations?

Depends on the solution you use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd be careful of printed circuit boards if they have any legends screen
printed on them, I did that once at work and erased the whole lot in a
couple of minutes. What fluid is it going to use? The one we had used a kind
of spirit of some kind.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Cliff Topp" wrote in message ...
I recently bought one very similar to this
https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b
(link goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as
there are only two parameters to set, time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as
what temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want to
clean up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst centre stone
and small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so does anyone have
suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and maybe
a printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time), so what
settings would I use in those situations?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Beware of using one on that Austrian Crystal too, a lot of those are made
from several parts and they are glued using an adhesive that has similar
optical qualities to the crystal, but they do come apart in ultrasonic
baths, Also if stones were set but also had small blobs of adhesive under
them they will become loose and may fall out if it attacks the glue.

"jon" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cliff Topp presented the following explanation :
I recently bought one very similar to this https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b (link
goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as there are
only two parameters to set, time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as what
temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want to clean
up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst centre stone and
small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so does anyone have
suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and maybe a
printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time), so what settings
would I use in those situations?

This is the cleaning solution that came with it (sorry Brian, it's just
a link to a photo)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hAc...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cliff Topp pretended :
I recently bought one very similar to this https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b (link
goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as there are
only two parameters to set, time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as what
temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want to clean
up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst centre stone and
small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so does anyone have
suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and maybe a
printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time), so what settings
would I use in those situations?

So can nobody come up with some actual numbers then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May 2021 at 23:53:23 BST, "Cliff Topp" wrote:

Cliff Topp pretended :
[...]

I'd be inclined to read the manual of one that's likely decent:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ultra...aners/1249722/

and take it from there. I've got a small basic cleaner and the instructions
say luke warm water and a drop of washing up liquid, and basically run it for
as long as it takes. Seems to work in my very limited experience.

Incidentally - does anyone clean their specs in them? I did once before I read
the instructions - nice and clean and no apparent damage.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
[...]

I havent been game to try it yet, I normally do get coated lenses.

I should try it with some old ones that are no longer useful, but those
came from a different operation and so isnt really that certain proof.

I did get the ultrasonic cleaner for that reason when it was cheap at Aldi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

does anyone clean their specs in them? I did once before I read
the instructions - nice and clean and no apparent damage.

I do, but not very often, I had one pair where the ant-reflective
coating peeled of in patches ... probably had scratches to start with
though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 5 May 2021 13:40:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

and take it from there. I've got a small basic cleaner and the
instructions
say luke warm water and a drop of washing up liquid, and basically run it
for
as long as it takes. Seems to work in my very limited experience.

Incidentally - does anyone clean their specs in them? I did once before I
read
the instructions - nice and clean and no apparent damage.

I havent been game to try it yet,

Right, but you will keep blathering away about it anyway, in your known
obnoxious manner.

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2021 23:53, Cliff Topp wrote:
Cliff Topp pretended :
I recently bought one very similar to this
https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b (link goes to eBay) and it appears to be
very easy to operate being as there are only two parameters to set,
time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as
what temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want
to clean up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst
centre stone and small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so
does anyone have suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and
maybe a printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time),
so what settings would I use in those situations?

So can nobody come up with some actual numbers then?

TBH when I used these back in the day with chemistry that made me feel
utterly sick - chlorinated hydrocarbons, now totally banned, we just
used to suck it and see.

I don't recall heat being part of it. Just ultrasonics

They are not complicated. You need a solvent for what ever it is you
want to dissolve. Can be just water. And the time is however long it
takes to get it clean.

What washing powder, temperature and time do you use in your washing
machine?

How long is a piece of string?

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2021 12:41, Cliff Topp wrote:
I recently bought one very similar to this https://tinyurl.com/ygmx5d9b
(link goes to eBay) and it appears to be very easy to operate being as
there are only two parameters to set, time and temperature.

However, they don't give any help in actually using the thing, such as
what temperature to set it at and for how long!

Our first use for it is that we have some old jewellery that we want to
clean up (couple of gold chains, a gold ring with an amethyst centre
stone and small diamonds around it and a few other pieces) so does
anyone have suggestions for time and temp settings on the cleaner?

It will probably also get used for cleaning up a car part or two and
maybe a printed circuit board or two as well (not at the same time), so
what settings would I use in those situations?

I remember Heathkit use to sell a kit for one of these - popular kit

Ultrasonic cleaners fred[_8_] UK diy 15 October 6th 17 03:48 PM
CPC ultrasonic cleaners Newshound UK diy 44 July 30th 07 12:42 PM
Ultrasonic cleaners D.M. Procida UK diy 11 April 25th 07 11:19 PM
Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Acetone??? davefr Metalworking 20 November 24th 04 03:28 AM
Branson Ultrasonic Service Manual Pumpkin Electronics Repair 0 May 14th 04 11:29 AM