Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted, a latch for a gate that lets it swing both ways

I'm looking for a gate latch that will allow a gate to swing both
ways, there are some more constraints/parameters as well:-

It's a fairly light gate, into our chicken run

It needs to be easy to operate from both sides

It can't be one of those U drop over the post ones (see below)

The best sort of thing I can think of is a ring latch something like this:-

https://www.toolstation.com/ring-han...e-latch/p27158

but without the slotted bit that constrains it from lifting right up
out of the way of the gate post. However I suspect that the above
without the constraint won't be very sound mechanically.

It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for this?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 11:29, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

What about a regular sliding bolt, flat on the top so it can be operated
from both sides?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

This type would work, if it came in small sizes:-

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/p...nc-fixings-hjl

So has anyone ever seen a small one of these? I've only seen them on
field gates and those would be too big.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 11:38:21 AM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps a bit over the top for a chicken run but the sliding bolt does retract all the way with suitable hinges a gate can swing either way

https://www.screwfix.com/p/gatemate-...ock-85mm/511hx

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

A simple bolt with a a through handle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOTARBAU-Do...7MW9QRGC&psc=1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Put "double sided gate bolt" into Amazon and a little way down you'll
find Kotarbau bolts that give you an accessible "handle" on both sides,
even on a solid gate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 11:29, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a gate latch that will allow a gate to swing both
ways, there are some more constraints/parameters as well:-

It's a fairly light gate, into our chicken run

It needs to be easy to operate from both sides

Mortice Gate Latch set?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 12:21, newshound wrote:
On 24/05/2021 11:29, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a gate latch that will allow a gate to swing both
ways, there are some more constraints/parameters as well:-

Â*Â*Â*Â* It's a fairly light gate, into our chicken run

Â*Â*Â*Â* It needs to be easy to operate from both sides

Â*Â*Â*Â* It can't be one of those U drop over the post ones (see below)

The best sort of thing I can think of is a ring latch something like
this:-

Â*Â*Â*Â* https://www.toolstation.com/ring-han...e-latch/p27158

but without the slotted bit that constrains it from lifting right up
out of the way of the gate post.Â* However I suspect that the above
without the constraint won't be very sound mechanically.

It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for this?

Put "double sided gate bolt" into Amazon and a little way down you'll
find Kotarbau bolts that give you an accessible "handle" on both sides,
even on a solid gate.

I have gate latches that go both ways

these :

https://www.fencingessentials.co.uk/...Closing_Catch/

The penalty is a slight gap, that needs filling in.

Of course it cant be used on a *door* with an upper frame that gets in
the way of the opening mechanism

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 May 2021 at 11:29:43 BST, "Chris Green" wrote:

[...]

Saloon door hinges and no catch at all? Just an example, no recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Acti.../dp/B07BVRC4J1

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

I did for a similar gate with a pair of cabin hooks, one on each side, and a
hole through the gate. Latch the hook on your side; push your fingers
through the hole to unlatch the hook on the other side.

(In my case the hole wasn't strictly necessary since the person latching on
the inside was always going out again - there wasn't another route by which
they could exit, so there was never a chance of being latched on the 'wrong'
side. The hole just happened to be there anyway)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

There's also a cunning and easier to operate trigger type latch that
lets gates swing both ways but as with these, they are large and not
really suited to domestic use, more usually found on 4 metre plus farm
gates. Can't immediately spot a link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 May 2021 11:29:43 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

What's wrong with this group?

Ten replies and no smutty comments about swinging both ways?

Signed,
Disgusted of Huddersfield
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I wanted a gate like that I was told they were too dangerous as the
spring would make it hurt anyone on the other side.
H and s again.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What you need is a super giant chip operated cat flap!

Those obviously only unlatch when the pussy comes up to it with their rfid
chip in either direction.
Snags, You might need to be microchipped and it would need to be a pretty
large version of the latch!

I'm assuming all of this netting is to discourage Mr and Mrs Fox etc.

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

How about 2 of those ring latches, ditch the slotted bits and the
loose rings and mount one latch on each side of the gate (I assume
that there's a square section bar that goes through the gate to link
the latches). When the latch is dropped you have it secured on both
sides, and it has to be lifted almost vertical to open the gate.
Should be fairly fox proof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message

It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

It dosent Lock as such but you would only need a grab handle on both sides
https://www.locktrader.co.uk/Asec-Au...ate-Latch.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Possibly, if you can get a finger though a hole in the netting to
operate the tab, what about one of those drop latches that has a ramp
both sides (and a notch in the middle). They work like the big
vertical ones mentioned elsewhere but much much lighter (more like a
std wooden gate type latch) but where the bit fixed on what would be
the slam works horizontally and the tang that drops into it, works
horizontally.

Mum has one on her side gate that has been there for years but it's
possible it was hand made by the guy who made the (metal) gates. I can
take a picture of it when round there next as it would be easy enough
to fabricate?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

Main problem with those is that the gate and the post can shift
vertically so that the bolt no longer goes into the thing on the post

Better if the thing on the post is a vertical slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Could do I guess, not terribly easy to operate but better than the
existing cabin hook I should think.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 15:17, Nick Odell wrote:
[...]

Perhaps Adam is on holiday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
What you need is a super giant chip operated cat flap!

Those obviously only unlatch when the pussy comes up to it with their rfid
chip in either direction.
Snags, You might need to be microchipped and it would need to be a pretty
large version of the latch!

I'm assuming all of this netting is to discourage Mr and Mrs Fox etc.
Brian

The netting is as much to keep the chickens in as the foxes out. We
have three dogs who have access to the garden at all hours and they
tend to discourage any foxes. Our dogs are 'chicken friendly'! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

That would work, yes. I'd have to make a 'slot' in the netting for
the handle but that's not too difficult. Best idea so far, thank you.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I have gate latches that go both ways

these :

https://www.fencingessentials.co.uk/...Closing_Catch/

The penalty is a slight gap, that needs filling in.

Of course it cant be used on a *door* with an upper frame that gets in
the way of the opening mechanism

There's also a cunning and easier to operate trigger type latch that
lets gates swing both ways but as with these, they are large and not
really suited to domestic use, more usually found on 4 metre plus farm
gates. Can't immediately spot a link.

OP here, yes, I posted one of these too. It's just what I want except
that it's too big, as I said if I could get a small one of these it
would be perfect.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

The gate needs to be reasonably securely closed when it's closed, as
in wind, chickens, other animals etc. can't open it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:
[...]

I've bodged things like that with wood on other gates, I think that's
a good idea though, ring latches are very cheap so cannibalising two
doesn't seem extravagant. Thanks.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message

It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

It dosent Lock as such but you would only need a grab handle on both sides
https://www.locktrader.co.uk/Asec-Au...ate-Latch.html

I found the Kenham latches too but I think they only open one way
don't they? Otherwise they'd be excellent as you can just push the
gate to unlatch it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 06:21:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Main problem with those is

Main problem with you is that you are a miserable trolling senile pest!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

When I wanted a gate like that I was told they were too dangerous as the
spring would make it hurt anyone on the other side.

What spring or did you mean swing ?

My back gate is done like that, swings both ways,
works fine and cant hurt anyone because you can
see right thru it.

H and s again.

They got no say about mine.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 06:50:13 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message ...

"Chris Green" wrote in message

It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

It dosent Lock as such but you would only need a grab handle on both sides
https://www.locktrader.co.uk/Asec-Au...ate-Latch.html

Too easy for a fox to get thru.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

More likely to be ****ing someone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 11:29, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a gate latch that will allow a gate to swing both
ways, there are some more constraints/parameters as well:-

It's a fairly light gate, into our chicken run

It needs to be easy to operate from both sides

It can't be one of those U drop over the post ones (see below)

The best sort of thing I can think of is a ring latch something like this:-

https://www.toolstation.com/ring-han...e-latch/p27158

but without the slotted bit that constrains it from lifting right up
out of the way of the gate post. However I suspect that the above
without the constraint won't be very sound mechanically.

The way mine is done is the gate latch is the same as normal but it has
an almost square end. The catch is a thickish piece of steel about 1cm
thick with a notch cut in it to accept the latch bolted to the frame.

___ ___
| \ / |
| \ / |
| | | |
| | | |
| |__| |
| |
| O O |
|___________|

Stand off hinges allow the gate to swing both inwards and outwards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 08:59:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 08:43:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 08:54:16 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

The way mine is done is the gate latch is the same as normal but it has
an almost square end. The catch is a thickish piece of steel about 1cm
thick with a notch cut in it to accept the latch bolted to the frame.

___ ___
| \ / |
| \ / |
| | | |
| | | |
| |__| |
| |
| O O |
|___________|

Stand off hinges allow the gate to swing both inwards and outwards.

On Mums side gate it's more 'friendly' in that the initial faces of
the part on (what would be the) slam has curved faces on both sides so
you don't have to manually 'operate' the latch to latch it (just
unlatch it).

A bit like this but with 'ramps' that are more shallow:

/| |\
/ | | \
/ | | \
/ | | \
/ ----- \
/ \
|_________________|

You just push it shut to about the right place and it latches (from
either direction).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Acti...recking/dp/B07
BVRC4J1

The gate needs to be reasonably securely closed when it's closed, as
in wind, chickens, other animals etc. can't open it.

Simple ring drop latch with an operator on both sides of the gate?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/twisted-g...2mm/64623?kpid
=64623&ds_kid=92700031521308168&ds_rl=1241687&ds_r l=1245250&ds_rl=1244072
&ds_kid=92700031521308168&msclkid=28a7860cd95f1882 bacde6a060255b33&utm_so
urce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX_Shopping_ Security%20%26%20Ironmo
ngery&utm_term=4584482452682491&utm_content=G%20-%20Ironmongery&ds_rl=124
5250&gclid=28a7860cd95f1882bacde6a060255b33&gclsrc =3p.ds

That's a url !

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 09:49, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

Saloon door hinges and no catch at all?Â* Just an example, no
recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Acti...recking/dp/B07
BVRC4J1

The gate needs to be reasonably securely closed when it's closed, as
in wind, chickens, other animals etc. can't open it.

Simple ring drop latch with an operator on both sides of the gate?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/twisted-g...2mm/64623?kpid
=64623&ds_kid=92700031521308168&ds_rl=1241687&ds_r l=1245250&ds_rl=1244072
&ds_kid=92700031521308168&msclkid=28a7860cd95f1882 bacde6a060255b33&utm_so
urce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX_Shopping_ Security%20%26%20Ironmo
ngery&utm_term=4584482452682491&utm_content=G%20-%20Ironmongery&ds_rl=124
5250&gclid=28a7860cd95f1882bacde6a060255b33&gclsrc =3p.ds

That's a url !

You only needed this bit of the url:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/twisted-g...ck-152mm/64623
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2021 08:54:16 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes, that's exactly what I want, as I said I've seen big 'field gate'
sized ones of these but nothing suitable for a small 'garden gate'
sort of gate.

Plenty of small gate ones and easy to make too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

The gate needs to be reasonably securely closed when it's closed, as
in wind, chickens, other animals etc. can't open it.

Simple ring drop latch with an operator on both sides of the gate?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/twisted-g...2mm/64623?kpid
=64623&ds_kid=92700031521308168&ds_rl=1241687&ds_r l=1245250&ds_rl=1244072
&ds_kid=92700031521308168&msclkid=28a7860cd95f1882 bacde6a060255b33&utm_so
urce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX_Shopping_ Security%20%26%20Ironmo
ngery&utm_term=4584482452682491&utm_content=G%20-%20Ironmongery&ds_rl=124
5250&gclid=28a7860cd95f1882bacde6a060255b33&gclsrc =3p.ds

That's a url !

You only needed this bit of the url:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/twisted-g...ck-152mm/64623

Yes, but you'd have to be able to turn the ring so the bar is almost
upright to allow the gate to swing either way. Thus you'd have to
leave out the 'slot' part of the latch.

It's a possible/reasonable solution though, it would probably be best
to add a 'stop' of some sort so that the latch bar is held just beyond
upgright when you open the gate.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Tue, 25 May 2021 19:19:10 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
MID: