Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what are they up to?

Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the ebay
system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it in at
local post office. I get an email to say it's been received and then I get
a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in the post comes
through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2021 21:03, charles wrote:
Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the ebay
system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it in at
local post office. I get an email to say it's been received and then I get
a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in the post comes
through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

eBay is littered with Chinese sellers who claim to send from within the UK.

I guess this one has used a dubious registered address, or a dodgy
return address. They can check you've made an attempt to return the item
from tracking info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote

Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item
sent, so I used the ebay system to return it. Printed paid
for address label and handed it in at local post office.
I get an email to say it's been received and then I get
a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in
the post comes through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

They just don't distinguish between received it and cant receive it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2021 21:03, charles wrote:
Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the ebay
system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it in at
local post office. I get an email to say it's been received and then I get
a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in the post comes
through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

I've rejected many low-cost items that were not as described. I've
never been asked to return the goods. If you were on a fraction of £3
profit wouldn't you regard the occasional write-off as an inevitable
cost, but one to be minimised?

As they say in the world of accountancy - the first loss is always the
cheapest.

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 May 2021 11:48:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the ebay
system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it in at
local post office. I get an email to say it's been received and then I get
a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in the post comes
through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

With many cheap items it often saves the vendor money to simply write it
off, when the mistake is theirs.

Bulk postage from say China is obviously very cheap. The cost of returning
an individual item very likely to exceed the retail price - let alone the
out of pocket cost to them.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the
ebay system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it
in at local post office. I get an email to say it's been received and
then I get a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in
the post comes through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

With many cheap items it often saves the vendor money to simply write it
off, when the mistake is theirs.

Bulk postage from say China is obviously very cheap. The cost of
returning an individual item very likely to exceed the retail price - let
alone the out of pocket cost to them.

Yes, but they'd incurred the return charge when I took the packet to my post
office.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
With many cheap items it often saves the vendor money to simply write it
off, when the mistake is theirs.

Bulk postage from say China is obviously very cheap. The cost of returning
an individual item very likely to exceed the retail price - let alone the
out of pocket cost to them.

I'd guess that's what's happening here. They could just refund if you
complained, but then that encourages people to complain in the hope of
getting a free item. So they ask you to 'return' it, and check the tracking
says something was posted. They know that few people will actually return,
because of the postage costs for cheap items.

They don't actually care what happens to the item after that. Possibly the
address was once valid - when this started the addresses were often Chinese
restaurants, nowadays they're more likely to be bonded warehouses near
Heathrow. But now they're effectively outsourcing the landfilling of their
trash products to the postal system, so they don't care what the address is.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
With many cheap items it often saves the vendor money to simply write
it off, when the mistake is theirs.

Bulk postage from say China is obviously very cheap. The cost of
returning an individual item very likely to exceed the retail price -
let alone the out of pocket cost to them.

I'd guess that's what's happening here. They could just refund if you
complained, but then that encourages people to complain in the hope of
getting a free item. So they ask you to 'return' it, and check the
tracking says something was posted. They know that few people will
actually return, because of the postage costs for cheap items.

THEY paid for the postage on the ebay return label.

They don't actually care what happens to the item after that. Possibly
the address was once valid - when this started the addresses were often
Chinese restaurants, nowadays they're more likely to be bonded warehouses
near Heathrow. But now they're effectively outsourcing the landfilling
of their trash products to the postal system, so they don't care what the
address is.

Theo

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
Ordered soemthing cheap (£3) off ebay. Wrong item sent, so I used the
ebay system to return it. Printed paid for address label and handed it
in at local post office. I get an email to say it's been received and
then I get a refund to my credit card. Next day the packet I sent in
the post comes through my letter box marked "Gone Away".

So, they can't have received it.

With many cheap items it often saves the vendor money to simply write it
off, when the mistake is theirs.

Bulk postage from say China is obviously very cheap. The cost of
returning an individual item very likely to exceed the retail price - let
alone the out of pocket cost to them.

Yes, but they'd incurred the return charge when I took the packet to my post
office.

Do you know what it actually was? Could it just have been local postage to
a fictitious address to satisfy Ebay requirements?

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam