Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Trim Shears: are they as handy as they might seem?

Looking for recommendations on the usefulness of hand trim shears. I
can't find any info on them. A flooring installer showed them to my
Pop and now he wants one for cutting his quarter-round. I believe the
manufacturer was QEP but I'd think there would be more. It had a small
fence and stop on it that could be set at different mitre angles. He
cut some pieces to show my dad how well they worked. Seems like a
great idea but is it? And where can they be purchased?
TIA
Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

"workinstiff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for recommendations on the usefulness of hand trim shears. I
can't find any info on them. A flooring installer showed them to my
Pop and now he wants one for cutting his quarter-round. I believe the
manufacturer was QEP but I'd think there would be more. It had a small
fence and stop on it that could be set at different mitre angles. He
cut some pieces to show my dad how well they worked. Seems like a
great idea but is it? And where can they be purchased?

I am not sure what you are talking about. But it sounds a lot like the
cutters used for making picture frames. You might want to take a look at
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"workinstiff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looking for recommendations on the usefulness of hand trim shears. I
can't find any info on them. A flooring installer showed them to my
Pop and now he wants one for cutting his quarter-round. I believe the
manufacturer was QEP but I'd think there would be more. It had a small
fence and stop on it that could be set at different mitre angles. He
cut some pieces to show my dad how well they worked. Seems like a
great idea but is it? And where can they be purchased?
TIA
Matt

I think you're looking for these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,51222&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:33:48 GMT, "efgh" wrote:

"workinstiff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for recommendations on the usefulness of hand trim shears. I
can't find any info on them. A flooring installer showed them to my
Pop and now he wants one for cutting his quarter-round. I believe the
manufacturer was QEP but I'd think there would be more. It had a small
fence and stop on it that could be set at different mitre angles. He
cut some pieces to show my dad how well they worked. Seems like a
great idea but is it? And where can they be purchased?
TIA
Matt

I think you're looking for these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,51222&ap=1

i think thats what the orginal poster wants BUT the best ones are
branded LOWE. made in germany and have very good steel that holds an
edge well. i use these daily for runnng shoe molding. i run between
400 and 800 feet a day. THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY. cuts the time by
2/3. and you dont need a saw and cord set up. however they dont do so
well with hardwood. like lightning on pine and poplar.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:

I think you're looking for these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,51222&ap=1

And here's a similar set at Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4997

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:23:58 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

efgh wrote:

I think you're looking for these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,51222&ap=1

And here's a similar set at Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4997

i have a set from woodcraft also. save your money. I saved a few bucks
buying them but they were nearly useless. they would not stay sharp. I
gave em to the ol lady to trim shrubs with. :-] the only brand i have
been happy with [ and i have tried several brands ] were the LOWE
brand i mentioned earlier. they cost nearly twice as much but last
several times longer between sharpenings. JMHO. try here. they are on
clearance!

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11520?ckset=ok

skeez