Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default There's lucky

Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to
take indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the
missing screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put
in place and the screw tightened into place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 14:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to
take indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the
missing screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put
in place and the screw tightened into place.

In my experience, if the screw comes out once it will do it again unless
you put a bit of superglue or nail varnish on it to stop the screw turning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 22/05/2021, alan_m supposed :
In my experience, if the screw comes out once it will do it again unless you
put a bit of superglue or nail varnish on it to stop the screw turning.

Yep, did that - I used superglue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 14:55, jon wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:27:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to
take indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the
missing screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put
in place and the screw tightened into place.

There is a god.

If true then the screw wouldn't have come out in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 16:19, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 22/05/2021 14:55, jon wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:27:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Â* Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to
take indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the
missing screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put
in place and the screw tightened into place.

There is a god.

If true then the screw wouldn't have come out in the first place.

yep. I am not in favour of a religion which bashes your head against the
wall so its lovely when it stops

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 22 May 2021 16:19:00 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 22/05/2021 14:55, jon wrote:
[...]

....perhaps the joke is countless human misery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to take
indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the missing
screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put in place
and the screw tightened into place.

All of those screws have been captive screws with all of my frames
and I have had lots over the 65+ years I have been wearing glasses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:27:56 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to
take indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the
missing screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put
in place and the screw tightened into place.

There is a god.

Nope, just some capable designers. That bugger never
was that, you cant even scratch your own back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
on 22/05/2021, alan_m supposed :
In my experience, if the screw comes out once it will do it again unless
you put a bit of superglue or nail varnish on it to stop the screw
turning.

Yep, did that - I used superglue.

You have to be careful with that, I ****ed a pair of
sunnys with a fingerprint of superglue on one lens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joey pretended :
All of those screws have been captive screws with all of my frames
and I have had lots over the 65+ years I have been wearing glasses.

This one might have been, but I have had a few before which were not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Joey
writes

[...]

Mine drop out regularly. I have a set of watchmakers screwdrivers and
lots of disused glasses to cannibalise.

Specsavers were very sniffy when I asked if I could have/buy a few spare
screws. They start off much longer for ease of handling and you break
off the excess once tightened.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 19:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"jon" wrote in message ...
[...]

It's an intentional design feature, to get someone else to scratch your
back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 19:25, Joey wrote:

[...]

Often not sufficiently captive though. They seem to be centre punched to
secure them; presumably glasses shops have a neat jig for holding them
securely, with either a press or a guided punch. I have often thought
about asking them how they do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2021 20:01:50 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Joey
writes

[...]

Years ago I bought a littel kit that included a (useless) mini
screwdriver, some nose pads, and assorted screws. Still have a lot of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sun, 23 May 2021 04:34:08 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 May 2021 04:32:09 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the endlessly bull****ting, trolling senile asshole's latest
troll**** unread

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 May 2021 04:25:27 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the endlessly bull****ting, trolling senile asshole's latest
troll**** unread

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote in message ...
[...]

I can. I can even touch fingers behind my back. But only one way; I'm
somewhat asymmetrical.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Joey
writes

[...]

Mine drop out regularly.

Then you should get a clue and use a different supplier
or use nail varnish etc when you get a new one.

I have a set of watchmakers screwdrivers and lots of disused glasses to
cannibalise.

Makes more sense to do the above.

Specsavers were very sniffy when I asked if I could have/buy a few spare
screws. They start off much longer for ease of handling and you break off
the excess once tightened.

Still better to ensure they don't come unscrewed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"jon" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bet you cant high up between the shoulder blades in the middle.

I can even touch fingers behind my back. But only one way; I'm somewhat
asymmetrical.

You mean you are a freak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound has brought this to us :
Often not sufficiently captive though. They seem to be centre punched to
secure them; presumably glasses shops have a neat jig for holding them
securely, with either a press or a guided punch. I have often thought about
asking them how they do it.

The worst struggle, was getting the screw started. I tried starting it
with the lens in place and I couldn't get the frame gap closed up
enough. I then finally did it by just starting the screw, then
squeezing the lens in, before screwing it in all the way.

My plan c, would have been to pull the frame together with the lens in
place, by using 5amp fuse wire around the brackets, to enable the screw
to start.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Sun, 23 May 2021 10:42:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 May 2021 10:02:28 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 19:34, Joey wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
on 22/05/2021, alan_m supposed :
In my experience, if the screw comes out once it will do it again
unless you put a bit of superglue or nail varnish on it to stop the
screw turning.

Yep, did that - I used superglue.

You have to be careful with that, I ****ed a pair of
sunnys with a fingerprint of superglue on one lens.

Acetone - nail varnish remover - is the easiest to obtain solvent for
superglue

I do not know whether it also dissolves polycarbonate lens coatings...it
does not attack polycarbonate itself

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 20:42, newshound wrote:
On 22/05/2021 19:25, Joey wrote:

[...]

None of my glasses have ever had captive screws. Fortunately I have a
decent stock of obsolete glasses for spares

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 19:34, Joey wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
on 22/05/2021, alan_m supposed :
In my experience, if the screw comes out once it will do it again
unless you put a bit of superglue or nail varnish on it to stop the
screw turning.

Yep, did that - I used superglue.

You have to be careful with that, I ****ed a pair of
sunnys with a fingerprint of superglue on one lens.

Acetone - nail varnish remover - is the easiest to obtain solvent for
superglue

The problem isnt superglue added
to the lens, it has damaged the lens.

I do not know whether it also dissolves polycarbonate lens coatings...it
does not attack polycarbonate itself

But superglue does. The lens edge and the frame werent
well done enough so the prescription lens kept popping
out so I superglued the lens into the frame. That worked
well, but the result was ****ed due to the fingerprint
on the main part of the lens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joey wrote:

he lens edge and the frame werent
well done enough so the prescription lens kept popping
out so I superglued the lens into the frame. That worked
well, but the result was ****ed due to the fingerprint
on the main part of the lens.

An alternate 'fix' which avoids glue, is to insert an inch or two of
nylon fishing line, of the appropriate thickness, into the grove of the
frame, then re-fit the lens
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Joey wrote:

he lens edge and the frame werent
well done enough so the prescription lens kept popping
out so I superglued the lens into the frame. That worked
well, but the result was ****ed due to the fingerprint
on the main part of the lens.

An alternate 'fix' which avoids glue, is to insert an inch or two of nylon
fishing line, of the appropriate thickness, into the grove of the frame,
then re-fit the lens

That wouldnt have worked, the problem with the cheap chinese
lens was inadequate shaping of the lens edge and the frame design.
Quite marginal. The other lens was fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 May 2021 02:31:50 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2021 17:31, Joey wrote:

On 22/05/2021 19:34, Joey wrote:

[...]

Try acetone

The fumes from CA will form a film of glue on any surface

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2021 17:31, Joey wrote:

On 22/05/2021 19:34, Joey wrote:

[...]

No thanks, that will **** the coatings.

The fumes from CA will form a film of glue on any surface

Didnt happen with the rest of the lens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 02:27 pm, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Last time I used the car, as I parked up in my garage back home, one of
the lenses of my driving glasses fell out, just as I removed them. The
clamp screw had udone itself, releasing the lens. In a bit of a rush, I
just tapped myself down, hoping the screw would land on my seat, so I
could find it later.

Getting the car out yesterday, I realised I forgotten to deal with the
problem, so I searched the seat, the car floor and the garage floor
without finding the missing screw. I grabbed the glasses and lens, to
take indoors to see if I could find another to fit, only to find the
missing screw still caught in the frame. All it needed was the lens put
in place and the screw tightened into place.

Almost the same thing happened to me in Paris some years ago, except
that I managed to catch the lens as it fell but couldn't find the little
screw.

On a Sunday, in Champs Elysees, not only was an optician's shop open for
business, but they did what was necessary and refused any payment. I put
five Euros in the charity collection box they had on the counter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 May 2021 09:09:52 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do not know whether it also dissolves polycarbonate lens coatings...it
does not attack polycarbonate itself

Acetone will damage raw polycarbonate.
Polycarbonate lenses are (or should be) always coated so the surfaces
should be OK but avoid the cut edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 11:50, R D S wrote:

I do not know whether it also dissolves polycarbonate lens
coatings...it does not attack polycarbonate itself

Acetone will damage raw polycarbonate.

No. it wont
I looked it up

Polycarbonate lenses are (or should be) always coated

which is possibly damaged by acetone

so the surfaces
should be OK but avoid the cut edges.

Exactly wrong

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 11:50, R D S wrote:

I do not know whether it also dissolves polycarbonate lens
coatings...it does not attack polycarbonate itself

Acetone will damage raw polycarbonate.

No. it wont
I looked it up

Yet it's rated as not compatible where I buy it and also at

https://www.calpaclab.com/polycarbon...ibility-chart/
(severe effect)

https://www.fishersci.co.uk/gb/en/sc...-plastics.html
(unsuitable)

[...]