Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steps or platform for window cleaning and caravan roof cleaning. -feet at 3m+

Speculating as usual.

I have ladders but cleaning a semi-circular bay window is a bit precarious
and involves a lot of moving of ladder.

I also have a caravan which would benefit from a roof clean every 6 months
or so.

Hiring a platform looks to be around £100 a go.
Buying one around £1,000.

I've just seen an advert fro a "platform tripod ladder" which is mainly
aimed at cutting very tall hedges but it does get you up there on a more
stable platform than a leaning ladder.

These seem to come in at around £300 for 3 metres plus, but cheapest may
not always be best.

Upstairs window cill is about 3.7 metres off the ground.

Anyone got one of these tripod ladder thingies?

The main potential down side is having to work sideways on but I don't
think that is a major issue.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote on 15/05/2021 :
I also have a caravan which would benefit from a roof clean every 6 months
or so.

I hve just done mine earlier today. My method is to use an extendable
brush, with the caravan driven with the mover, close up to the side of
my workshop which has a flat roof. I can get onto that via a ladder
which can be lashed into position.

We clean our own windows. The upstairs ones are (with a struggle)
cleanable from inside, they open with a gap at the side hinge. The
downstairs ones all open hinge at the top. The we tackle with a long
window double headed 'brush' from Home Bargains. It has a sort of flat
mob as one end, then a rubber blade at the other.

If I had to clean the upstairs, from outside, on some sort of access
equipment, I would use a ladder, but with a stand off bracket - both of
which I have. It's not easy working off a ladder, when the ladder is
blocking you from the very thing you are trying to work on - the
window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
Speculating as usual.

I have ladders but cleaning a semi-circular bay window is a bit
precarious and involves a lot of moving of ladder.

I also have a caravan which would benefit from a roof clean every 6
months or so.

Hiring a platform looks to be around £100 a go. Buying one around £1,000.

I've just seen an advert fro a "platform tripod ladder" which is mainly
aimed at cutting very tall hedges but it does get you up there on a more
stable platform than a leaning ladder.

These seem to come in at around £300 for 3 metres plus, but cheapest may
not always be best.

Upstairs window cill is about 3.7 metres off the ground.

Anyone got one of these tripod ladder thingies?

Yes, but mine is only 8ft high. I felt very safe on it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 17:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
David wrote on 15/05/2021 :
I also have a caravan which would benefit from a roof clean every 6
months
or so.

I hve just done mine earlier today. My method is to use an extendable
brush, with the caravan driven with the mover, close up to the side of
my workshop which has a flat roof. I can get onto that via a ladder
which can be lashed into position.

We clean our own windows.

I don't ever clean the house windows or the motorhome roof.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright pretended :
I don't ever clean the house windows or the motorhome roof.

Sp that's your place with the dirty windows ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 15/05/2021 17:30, David wrote:
Speculating as usual.

I have ladders but cleaning a semi-circular bay window is a bit precarious
and involves a lot of moving of ladder.

I also have a caravan which would benefit from a roof clean every 6 months
or so.

Hiring a platform looks to be around £100 a go.
Buying one around £1,000.

I've just seen an advert fro a "platform tripod ladder" which is mainly
aimed at cutting very tall hedges but it does get you up there on a more
stable platform than a leaning ladder.

These seem to come in at around £300 for 3 metres plus, but cheapest may
not always be best.

Upstairs window cill is about 3.7 metres off the ground.

Anyone got one of these tripod ladder thingies?

I have a cheap one:

https://www.ladders.co.uk/drabest-en...garden-ladder/

It has square rungs rather than a stepladder type platform so not as
comfortable a perch, but it does for the jobs I need to do and was
cheaper than fancier types.

https://www.brownsladders.co.uk/ladd...tripod-ladders

https://www.niwaki.com/store/tripod-ladders/

https://www.henchman.co.uk/japanese-tripod-ladder.html

The main potential down side is having to work sideways on but I don't
think that is a major issue.

Cheers

Dave R

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that DJC formulated :
I have a cheap one:

https://www.ladders.co.uk/drabest-en...garden-ladder/

That style of ladder reminds me....

Window cleaners always used to use a ladder - wide at the bottom, which
tappered in to the top, so they would neatly balance in the corner of
the window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Speculating as usual.

I have ladders but cleaning a semi-circular bay window is a bit precarious
and involves a lot of moving of ladder.

I also have a caravan which would benefit from a roof clean every 6 months
or so.

I had similar needs a few years ago, and after looking at lots of
data, I eventually chose the Zarges Skymaster Trade Ladder 3-Part
3 x 7 Rungs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zarges-Skymaster-Ladder-3-Part-ZAR41097/dp/B002SHDBTU

Together with their safety legs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zarges-ZAR100040-Stabiliser-Adjustable-Safety/dp/B00QJL5PFE/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&qid=1621153382&sr=8-8&srs=1803511031

At the time I managed a good deal from Toolstation.

It seems to be very sturdy, and (importantly for one who doesn't
really relish heights) feels remarkably stable. It is small
enough to fit in the garage, and potentially be used on indoor
jobs, yet should reach anything outdoors that I ought to be
tackling. It is a bit heavy.

The stabilisers confused me initially (you need to drill and
attach them yourself), because they can be used on both extension
ladders or stepladders, but not both configurations on
convertible ladders.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 23:39:06 +0100, DJC wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the useful links and suggestions.

I think I am in favour of the more robust style rather than the slim fruit
picker.

Henchman are offering a promotion via the National Trust at the moment
which was one thing which prompted the whole train of thought.

Cheers

Dave R

Garage height...8 feet or 10 feet? [email protected] Home Repair 40 October 5th 17 10:08 AM
Feet or No Feet watchec Woodworking 0 April 26th 08 07:49 AM
Feet or No Feet [email protected] UK diy 0 April 19th 08 10:28 PM
Feet or No Feet [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 19th 08 11:09 AM
Reasonable Price for set of 3 steps, was : Replace Dangerous Side Steps. mm Home Repair 2 March 27th 07 04:57 PM