Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a heavy mirror where it might get knocked

Any suggestions on how to mount a heavy mirror to a wall where it might
get knocked?

The mirror weighs about 17kg and is to be mounted half way up a
stairwell at waist height where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Naturally, being so heavy makes it unlikely that anything would move it
accidentally but I am concerned about the possibility that if it were to
be dislodged, especially from being part way up a flight of stairs, it
could cause serious injury.

Oh, and because of where it is to be mounted it will be viewable from
above and below so the fixings ideally would be hidden behind the mirror.

An impossible ask or is there a good solution?

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:27, James Harris wrote:
Any suggestions on how to mount a heavy mirror to a wall where it might
get knocked?

The mirror weighs about 17kg and is to be mounted half way up a
stairwell at waist height where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Naturally, being so heavy makes it unlikely that anything would move it
accidentally but I am concerned about the possibility that if it were to
be dislodged, especially from being part way up a flight of stairs, it
could cause serious injury.

Oh, and because of where it is to be mounted it will be viewable from
above and below so the fixings ideally would be hidden behind the mirror.

An impossible ask or is there a good solution?

Depends on backing/frame but possibly something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiberham-Se.../dp/B07X3Z458K

For one /that/ heavy I'd use at least 3 - possibly more as the ones I've
used don't take large screws.

And I'd not expect to get all the brackets in the right place first time

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
Any suggestions on how to mount a heavy mirror to a wall where it might
get knocked?

The mirror weighs about 17kg and is to be mounted half way up a
stairwell at waist height where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Naturally, being so heavy makes it unlikely that anything would move it
accidentally but I am concerned about the possibility that if it were to
be dislodged, especially from being part way up a flight of stairs, it
could cause serious injury.

Oh, and because of where it is to be mounted it will be viewable from
above and below so the fixings ideally would be hidden behind the mirror.

An impossible ask or is there a good solution?

Some sort of keyhole plate hanger?

Eg.
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/content/pr...0&scale=canvas

Youd need to be very accurate with your wall fixings though€¦

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:27, James Harris wrote:
Any suggestions on how to mount a heavy mirror to a wall where it might
get knocked?

The mirror weighs about 17kg and is to be mounted half way up a
stairwell at waist height where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Naturally, being so heavy makes it unlikely that anything would move it
accidentally but I am concerned about the possibility that if it were to
be dislodged, especially from being part way up a flight of stairs, it
could cause serious injury.

Oh, and because of where it is to be mounted it will be viewable from
above and below so the fixings ideally would be hidden behind the mirror.

An impossible ask or is there a good solution?

Is it in a wooden frame or does it have backing?

If so what about a metal version of a French Cleat?

https://tinyurl.com/ja35n78v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFvced0deZ8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 12:27, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I was going to ask that question and make the same suggestion. Also, do
you want it flat to the wall, or is it a more traditional mirror hung
like a painting on screw eyes and chain or wire, so that it tilts
slightly inwards?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
James Harris wrote:
Any suggestions on how to mount a heavy mirror to a wall where it might
get knocked?

The mirror weighs about 17kg and is to be mounted half way up a
stairwell at waist height where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Naturally, being so heavy makes it unlikely that anything would move it
accidentally but I am concerned about the possibility that if it were to
be dislodged, especially from being part way up a flight of stairs, it
could cause serious injury.

Oh, and because of where it is to be mounted it will be viewable from
above and below so the fixings ideally would be hidden behind the mirror.

An impossible ask or is there a good solution?

Some sort of keyhole plate hanger?

Eg.
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/content/pr...0&scale=canvas

Youd need to be very accurate with your wall fixings though€¦

Not really, the bit that goes on the mirror is very adjustable
location wise and has that non oval hole to lock it into that
position once you have got it adjusted correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sat, 8 May 2021 05:32:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:46, Robin wrote:
On 07/05/2021 11:27, James Harris wrote:
Any suggestions on how to mount a heavy mirror to a wall where it
might get knocked?

The mirror weighs about 17kg and is to be mounted half way up a
stairwell at waist height where the stairs turn 180 degrees.

Naturally, being so heavy makes it unlikely that anything would move
it accidentally but I am concerned about the possibility that if it
were to be dislodged, especially from being part way up a flight of
stairs, it could cause serious injury.

Oh, and because of where it is to be mounted it will be viewable from
above and below so the fixings ideally would be hidden behind the mirror.

An impossible ask or is there a good solution?

Depends on backing/frame but possibly something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiberham-Se.../dp/B07X3Z458K

Thanks. They look good.

For one /that/ heavy I'd use at least 3 - possibly more as the ones I've
used don't take large screws.

And I'd not expect to get all the brackets in the right place first time

Agreed!

--
James Harris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 14:46, newshound wrote:
[...]

It would need to be flat to the wall.

The metal French cleats look strong but on their own would allow the
mirror to be moved sideways so I might combine them with the brackets
mentioned by Robin.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May 2021 at 08:15:46 BST, "James Harris"
wrote:

[...]

They also look as though you could accidentally get a foot or knee under the
mirror and push it up and off the wall. So some sort of bracket limiting
upward movement would be desirable.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2021 08:15, James Harris wrote:
[...]

With that weight, friction will mean it will not readily move sideways,
and with a "full width" fitting it would have to move a long way before
it tilts. The degree of overlap means you would have to give it a
substantial impact from below to dislodge it.

If you are that worried about it moving, go for standard T shaped fixing
plates and live with the visibility of two above and one (or two) below.