Sneezy

Default Hanging a heavy mirror

I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle shield. I
thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out that the wall
is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and sticking in a raw plug
won't be enough? Or will it? I don't want the mirror (plus chunk of wall)
to come crashing down... Any input appreciated. I'm guessing there must be
something designed for this task?

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law

In uk.d-i-y, Sneezy wrote:
I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle shield. I
thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out that the wall
is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and sticking in a raw plug
won't be enough? Or will it? I don't want the mirror (plus chunk of wall)
to come crashing down... Any input appreciated. I'm guessing there must be
something designed for this task?

Lots. You have a Landlord, don't you? which means there's someone else
who has a view on the state of your walls...

Strongest, definitely secure fitting is to find the vertical wooden studs
to which the plasterboard (PB) is attached, and then put a decent length
woodscrew (say 10gauge * 2.5inch, or 4.5x70mm for the metricated ;-) into
that. You can find the studs almost reliably by careful tapping (listen
for the change in the echo as you work horizontally across); confirm by
drilling *small* (1/16th inch) holes at half-inch or so horizontal
intervals, or if you prefer one hole away to the side of apparent stud
location through which you pass one arm of a coathanger folded into a
stiff U, rotating it using the other arm to find the position of the
edge of the stud inside the cavity).

That restricts where your mirror hangs to where the studs run. You can
run a batten (bit of wood) on the surface between two studs to regain
flexibility, but unless the mirror's *really* big the batten will be
visible and unpretty.

There's a wide range of plasterboard fittings which can take a fair old
load directly, though. I've had a lot of success with the hollow wall
anchors which Screwfix sell as part numbers 18266, 12229 amd 11143 for
different thicknesses of PB. They fit flush to the wall, with a permanent
threaded anchor (M5 thread) left in the wall. Gravity toggles are pretty
reliable too, though they're a once-only fitting (the back bit falls
into the cavity when you unscrew the bolt). For lighter things, the metal
'redi-drivas' they sell (cat. 11923) are easy to use, and would in practice
probably be OK for your mirror, but I wouldn't trust it to a single one
(a couple sharing the load with a picture wire would be better).

You'll find most of these fixings at d-i-y SupaStores and your friendly
local round-the-corner merchant, too...

Stefek
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:00:21 GMT, Sneezy
wrote:

I assume that drilling it and sticking in a raw plug
won't be enough?

If you use the right plugs (read a Screwfix catalogue) you can hang a
surprising load on plasterboard. Some are huge screws, some are wings
at the back. Avoid those commonplace masonry plugs that try to expand
in a hole - they'll break themselves out of plasterboard even before
you get the mirror up.

The trick is that it's a static load, not something like a coathook.
Any plug with a varying load on it tends to work loose in
plasterboard.

nightjar

"Sneezy" wrote in message
22.41...
I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle shield. I
thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out that the wall
is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and sticking in a raw plug
won't be enough? Or will it? I don't want the mirror (plus chunk of wall)
to come crashing down... Any input appreciated. I'm guessing there must be
something designed for this task?

Yep. Looks like a large, coarse thread metal screw, which screws into the
plasterboard (no hole needed), with a smaller bolt that screws into that. I
have a 3ft x 2ft mirror quite happily hanging from plasterboard on four of
those.

There is something similiar, but with the larger part made from plastic. My
experience is that they frequently break when you try to screw them into the
plasterboard.

Colin Bignell

Jerry Built

Sneezy wrote:
I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle shield. I
thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out that the wall
is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and sticking in a raw plug
won't be enough? Or will it?

Don't use a raw plug without preparation! First, top and tail it,
scrape it with a sharp knife, and boil it in linseed oil and salad
cream for 20 mins/gramme. Drain, allow to cool, season to taste.
The raw plug will then be a cooked plug. However, I doubt it would
even then be suitable for hanging a mirror on plastered bored.

HTH.

J.B.

Sneezy

"Jerry Built" ] wrote in
:

Sneezy wrote:
I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle
shield. I thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out
that the wall is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and
sticking in a raw plug won't be enough? Or will it?

Don't use a raw plug without preparation! First, top and tail it,
scrape it with a sharp knife, and boil it in linseed oil and salad
cream for 20 mins/gramme. Drain, allow to cool, season to taste.
The raw plug will then be a cooked plug. However, I doubt it would
even then be suitable for hanging a mirror on plastered bored.

lol. So I guess they're not called raw plugs? Must have a name that sounds
something similar. If I knew all about DIY-related stuff I wouldn't be
posting here though, would I? I could have said "short brown/red spikey bit
of plastic" but how daft would that be?

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law
Sneezy

wrote in :

In uk.d-i-y, Sneezy wrote:
[...]

All sounds terribly complicated. Thumping the wall revealed nothing but my
hearing is shot so it comes as no surprise. I may mount it over the toilet
- at least that's a brick wall

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law
Sneezy

Sneezy wrote in
22.41:

I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle
shield. I thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out
that the wall is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and sticking
in a raw plug won't be enough? Or will it? I don't want the mirror
(plus chunk of wall) to come crashing down... Any input appreciated.
I'm guessing there must be something designed for this task?

Bit more info - the thing weighs (according to Ikea) 5.6 kg (!) and hangs
from one screw - one of those fittings shaped like a keyhole. I doubt
there's a fixing that can reliably (i.e. guaranteed) hold that kind of
weight on one screw.

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law
Andy Hall

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:16:29 GMT, Sneezy
wrote:

Sneezy wrote in
. 222.41:

I've bought this big heavy mirror that looks like a Saxon battle
shield. I thought it would hang on the wall no probs but it turns out
that the wall is plaster board. I assume that drilling it and sticking
in a raw plug won't be enough? Or will it? I don't want the mirror
(plus chunk of wall) to come crashing down... Any input appreciated.
I'm guessing there must be something designed for this task?

Bit more info - the thing weighs (according to Ikea) 5.6 kg (!) and hangs
from one screw - one of those fittings shaped like a keyhole. I doubt
there's a fixing that can reliably (i.e. guaranteed) hold that kind of
weight on one screw.

Sure there is.

Something like metal wall anchors, considering the nature of the
attachment on the mirror

chosen in a suitable size. 18266,12229,11143 depending on board
thickness.

You can do them right up and then slacken the bolt the right amount to
hand the mirror on the head. A very solid fixing for a plasterboard
wall.

B&Q and others certainly have them as well.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Sneezy

Andy Hall wrote in
:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:16:29 GMT, Sneezy
wrote:

Sneezy wrote in
.222.41:

[...]

So the next muppet question is, "How do you know how thick the plasterboard
is?" My thoughts so far are (a) put hammer through wall, measure thickness,
replaster; and (b) some sort of penetrating ultrasound thing.

It should be law that every house has a big list of everything in it, right
down to the screws used

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law

Dave Plowman

In article 4,
Sneezy wrote:
lol. So I guess they're not called raw plugs? Must have a name that
sounds something similar.

Rawlplug was the company that first made wall plugs (IIRC) made out of
fibre. So the name became generic - like Hoover. They still exist, but
many others now make wall plugs, and they're all plastic these days.

--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andy Hall

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:39:40 GMT, Sneezy
wrote:

So the next muppet question is, "How do you know how thick the plasterboard
is?" My thoughts so far are (a) put hammer through wall, measure thickness,
replaster; and (b) some sort of penetrating ultrasound thing.

Drill a hole of about 6mm where the fixing is going to go. This type
of fixing will need a larger hole anyway.
Unbend a paper clip and then put a sharp right angled bend towards one
end. Clip off the end to leave about a 3mm hook. Insert hook into
hole, move to edge and pull forward until the hook contacts the back
of the board. Mark the wire with felt tip at the front face of the
board. Remove the wire and the board thickness can be measured from
the mark to the corner of the hook.

It should be law that every house has a big list of everything in it, right
down to the screws used

That would involve builders being able to read and write....... :-)
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Sneezy

Andy Hall wrote in
:

wrote:

So the next muppet question is, "How do you know how thick the
plasterboard is?" My thoughts so far are (a) put hammer through wall,
measure thickness, replaster; and (b) some sort of penetrating
ultrasound thing.

Drill a hole of about 6mm where the fixing is going to go. This type
of fixing will need a larger hole anyway.
Unbend a paper clip and then put a sharp right angled bend towards one
end. Clip off the end to leave about a 3mm hook. Insert hook into
hole, move to edge and pull forward until the hook contacts the back
of the board. Mark the wire with felt tip at the front face of the
board. Remove the wire and the board thickness can be measured from
the mark to the corner of the hook.

I think I can manage that. Bigger than 6mm? Crikey. Knowing my luck I'll
drill the whole right where there's a wooden batten This house has just
being decorated by the landlord ready for me moving in. I have a long list
of things I can't do without permission, bla, bla. Last thing I want to do
is rip a huge hole in the plasterboard. Might end up in a tent in the park
if I do

It should be law that every house has a big list of everything in it,
right down to the screws used

That would involve builders being able to read and write....... :-)

My parent's house has the front door and hallway at the /back/ of the
house. When the builders crossed to the other side of the street, they
clearly forgot to turn the plan round...

--
john

"Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -
Putt's Law
Lurch

Crikey. Knowing my luck I'll drill the whole right where there's a
wooden batten

Erm... I realise I might be stating the obvious but if you happen to
land on a wooden stud\batten\noggin that would be just what you want
for a good fixing.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Andy Hall

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:47:39 GMT, Sneezy
wrote:

(Lurch) wrote in
:

Crikey. Knowing my luck I'll drill the whole right where there's a
wooden batten

Erm... I realise I might be stating the obvious but if you happen to
land on a wooden stud\batten\noggin that would be just what you want
for a good fixing.

Yes but the hole at 6mm will be too big, no? Don't ask me - I'm a disaster
waiting to happen. My DIY history is a long list of blood, chaos and
destruction. I have scars

Don't we all. :-)

If you happen to hit a stud, if you are drilling carefully you will
know it anyway. Alternatively, use an old screwdriver first - a
small one to make a hole. It will go through plasterboard easily with
a twist and stop if you find a stud.

If you do, then simply put in an appropriate wood screw (4 or 5mm
should do it).

If you feel accident prone, then an investment in a pipe and cable
detector might be prudent.