Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a heavy(ish) mirror above fireplace

I'm open to suggestions on this, i've got a mirror, probably about
25lbs in weight, and need to mount it above the fireplace.

This house is only about 20 years old, so i'm wary that the in-wall
chimney will be quite shallow centrally, so might be a bit of an issue
trying to mount it via a single fixing and very strong wire :-}

The mirror has two large triangular hooks / fixing points already
mounted, but i'm also wary that they won't allow any "tweaking" to get
it straight if either of the holes happen to a bit off...

What sort of fixing method would you suggest please ?

....and if I use the existing fixing points, would you suggest normal
countersunk screws and dangle the hooks over them, or what ?

I did use a central fixing with something like a 3" no.12 screw on a
picture of a similar weight in my old house which worked well, but
again, this is on a "modern" flush chimney breast so perhaps not quite
so advisable...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message ...
[...]

Perhaps screw a batten to the wall around 3/4 the width of the mirror using
4 - 6 fixings and then hang from that ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R
wrote

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message ...
I'm open to suggestions on this, i've got a mirror, probably about
25lbs in weight, and need to mount it above the fireplace.

Perhaps screw a batten to the wall around 3/4 the width of the mirror using
4 - 6 fixings and then hang from that ?

French Cleat
http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-install-a-french-cleat

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Pictures are ok tipped forward slightly on a wire, but big mirrors
should be flat against the wall IMO. Kind of disorientating if they're not.
I've always used 38mm unslotted glass plates. They stick out like ears
at the sides but at least you know that all the pressure is downwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:56:20 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

I'm open to suggestions on this, i've got a mirror, probably about
25lbs in weight, and need to mount it above the fireplace.

Is there any form of heating device in the fireplace?

If there is do not hang a mirror over it. People *will* preene
themselves in the mirror paying far more attention to that than their
clothes catching fire...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps screw a batten to the wall around 3/4 the width of the mirror using
4 - 6 fixings and then hang from that ?

Due to the underlying chimney / flue i'm a little worried about
drilling anywhere central - i'm not sure how strong (or wide) they
are, but i'm guessing they're precast concrete, and may compromise the
integrity of the flue / allow exhaust fumes in if I c*ck it up :-}

(not that we're using it as a gas fire, or have plans to, but i'd
rather leave it intact if possible :-}

French Cleat
http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-install-a-french-cleat

That's what I was thinking tbh !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
I'm open to suggestions on this, i've got a mirror, probably about
25lbs in weight, and need to mount it above the fireplace.

This house is only about 20 years old, so i'm wary that the in-wall
chimney will be quite shallow centrally, so might be a bit of an issue
trying to mount it via a single fixing and very strong wire :-}

The mirror has two large triangular hooks / fixing points already
mounted, but i'm also wary that they won't allow any "tweaking" to get
it straight if either of the holes happen to a bit off...

What sort of fixing method would you suggest please ?

...and if I use the existing fixing points, would you suggest normal
countersunk screws and dangle the hooks over them, or what ?

Use the hooks, just be careful to get the holes level. You can always add a
'sleeve' of plastic tube or even tape over one screw if necessary. Use pan
head screws & a washer of you are worried the hook might slip off the screw.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm open to suggestions on this, i've got a mirror, probably about
25lbs in weight, and need to mount it above the fireplace.

Is there any form of heating device in the fireplace?

There is, but we haven't used it other than for decorative lighting
since it was installed in about March / April, and we don't forsee any
change of use any time soon !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:47:14 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Is there any form of heating device in the fireplace?

There is, but we haven't used it other than for decorative lighting
since it was installed in about March / April, and we don't forsee any
change of use any time soon !

Come winter? Don't say you haven't been warned... you might not be
daft enough but vistors might.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:47:14 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Is there any form of heating device in the fireplace?

There is, but we haven't used it other than for decorative lighting
since it was installed in about March / April, and we don't forsee any
change of use any time soon !

Come winter? Don't say you haven't been warned... you might not be
daft enough but vistors might.

We have a large mirror over our mantel - but we also have a screen over
the fireplace opening. Even without the screen it would be difficult to
get close enough to burn your clothing, unless you were actually
standing on the raised tiled area in front of the fire.