Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Other side and a down the line view of Yosser's wall

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Ah well...

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

I like DIYing stuff, but it makes me appreciate just how much skill is
involved in building. I expect that my first attempt at building a brick
wall would look like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

**** those vertical bricks look awful.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sat, 1 May 2021 06:02:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Ah well...

Better than I could do€¦ ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Thanks for the further photos.

3 unsober thoughts:

1. Clear now there's no need for pillars when all that soil's there to
stop the wall falling into the garden.

2. I was totally wrong to class the wall as a crumple zone for intruding
vehicles. It's more a feck-off-'n-die barrier.

3. The wall's still better than I could do - unless perhaps Northern air
gis' yuz skills.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

Clear now there's no need for pillars when all that soil's there
to stop the wall falling into the garden.

But is the soil going to push the wall into the street?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 21:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

Clear now there's no need for pillars when all that soil's there to
stop the wall falling into the garden.

But is the soil going to push the wall into the street?

For the wall builder that's a "somebody else's problem" (SEP).

On which see Douglas Adams' "Life, the Universe and Everything":

"An S.E.P. ...is something that we cant see, or dont see, or our brain
doesnt let us see, because we think that its somebody elses problem.
Thats what S.E.P. means. Somebody Elses Problem. The brain just edits
it out; its like a blind spot. If you look at it directly you wont see
it unless you know precisely what it is. Your only hope is to catch it
by surprise out of the corner of your eye."

It's an art much cultivated by monocular lobby groups.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Apr 2021 at 20:34:39 BST, "GB" wrote:

On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

I like DIYing stuff, but it makes me appreciate just how much skill is
involved in building. I expect that my first attempt at building a brick
wall would look like that.

I doubt it, because I suspect if you built a brick wall you would find out how
to design one; and it wouldn't look like that.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 21:41, Robin wrote:

3.Â*Â*Â* The wall's still better than I could do - unless perhaps Northern
air gis' yuz skills.

It doesn't, but the chip on our shoulders makes us think we have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

Clear now there's no need for pillars when all that soil's there to
stop the wall falling into the garden.

But is the soil going to push the wall into the street?

If there are no weep holes it will be the water in the soil that
pushes the wall over.

I've wondered if a stainless butterfly wire wall tie dotted along the
wall with a terylene ratchet strap tape past through and back into the
soil for a metre of so would strengthen a single brick retaining wall,
with the weep holes too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 20:18, williamwright wrote:
On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Ah well...

Bill

It's "functional".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 09:50 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

Clear now there's no need for pillars when all that soil's there to
stop the wall falling into the garden.

But is the soil going to push the wall into the street?

I've had a couple of houses with a similar low retaining wall and never
had any problems with the garden pushing the wall out. It's always
either a vehicle backing into it during a three-pointer or kids sitting
on it while waiting for a bus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Ah well...

Bill

It's "functional".

For how long?

Are those class B engineering bricks though ?. The view along the
top of the wall makes me think they are. If so, they don't have
the suction of normal bricks, and IMHO very difficult to build
tidy walls with, which is not an issue when the 'wall' is the
four sides of a below-ground sewer access point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 20:08, ARW wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/8/84/****wall2.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ad/****wall3.jpg

Ah well...

Bill

It's "functional".

For how long?

Are those class B engineering bricks though ?. The view along the
top of the wall makes me think they are. If so, they don't have
the suction of normal bricks, and IMHO very difficult to build
tidy walls with, which is not an issue when the 'wall' is the
four sides of a below-ground sewer access point.

I used engineering bricks for the dwarf (and higher) walls in my
conservatory, as they were the closest looking match I could easily get
to the existing extension. My first proper attempt at bricklaying, 900
bricks and 125 blocks, and it turned out pretty well.