Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracks in walls?

When it was freezing cold over winter I noted that our back doors were
catching, but they've since sorted themselves out. I'm aware that's not
unusual.

Recently I've noticed a crack in some plaster above the bathroom window,
similar above a bedroom door and there's a small gap between the wall
and the some of the skirting on the stairs. Only a mm or two but there's
definitely things shifting.

I'm hoping it's climate or coincidence but we had a downstairs wall out*
a couple of years ago and it's making me paranoid!

Talk to me about your cracks and hopefully put my mind at rest.

*Load bearing wall, 2 rooms into one done by a builder and a concrete
lintel put in that's sitting on one skin of brick of the internal wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 10:27, R D S wrote:
Recently I've noticed......

115 year old terrace, probably worth mentioning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:27:11 +0100, R D S wrote:

When it was freezing cold over winter I noted that our back doors were
catching, but they've since sorted themselves out. I'm aware that's not
unusual.

Recently I've noticed a crack in some plaster above the bathroom window,
similar above a bedroom door and there's a small gap between the wall
and the some of the skirting on the stairs. Only a mm or two but there's
definitely things shifting.

I'm hoping it's climate or coincidence but we had a downstairs wall out*
a couple of years ago and it's making me paranoid!

Talk to me about your cracks and hopefully put my mind at rest.

*Load bearing wall, 2 rooms into one done by a builder and a concrete
lintel put in that's sitting on one skin of brick of the internal wall.

My previous gaff was an old cottage, throughout the seasons cracks
would open up and close like rosebuds. In lockdown it would've been a
good way of estimating what time of the year it was without getting
out of bed.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 10:33, R D S wrote:
On 30/04/2021 10:27, R D S wrote:
Recently I've noticed......

115 year old terrace, probably worth mentioning.

Yes indeed. That means it won't have concrete foundations to "modern"
spec. I'm assuming you don't have nearby trees of any size?

OK, just past Victorian but I think the construction is likely to be
similar. They didn't normally skimp on materials if you exclude the
single skin extensions at the back. I'd guess these are settlement
cracks associated with the new work, but I'd expect it to slow down and
stop. Apply filler and wait a year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 10:27:15 AM UTC+1, R D S wrote:
When it was freezing cold over winter I noted that our back doors were
catching, but they've since sorted themselves out. I'm aware that's not
unusual.

Recently I've noticed a crack in some plaster above the bathroom window,
similar above a bedroom door and there's a small gap between the wall
and the some of the skirting on the stairs. Only a mm or two but there's
definitely things shifting.

I'm hoping it's climate or coincidence but we had a downstairs wall out*
a couple of years ago and it's making me paranoid!

Talk to me about your cracks and hopefully put my mind at rest.

*Load bearing wall, 2 rooms into one done by a builder and a concrete
lintel put in that's sitting on one skin of brick of the internal wall.

The cracks above the windows and doors may be due to timber lintels expanding and contracting they usually appear as L shaped cracks just beyond the reveals where the end of the lintel would be.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 10:34, Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

115 YO houses didn't have particularly good foundations, and the
original wall imposed its downward forces evenly along the foundation.
By removing it and inserting a beam, the OP is imposing concentrated
point loads onto the foundations, which may not be strong enough.
This is something that the BCO will normally fuss over and ask for
the original foundations to be exposed to make sure they are
strong enough. Did the OP submit a bulding notice, or just rely on
the word of a jobbing builder ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
When it was freezing cold over winter I noted that our back doors were
catching, but they've since sorted themselves out. I'm aware that's not
unusual.

Recently I've noticed a crack in some plaster above the bathroom window,
similar above a bedroom door and there's a small gap between the wall
and the some of the skirting on the stairs. Only a mm or two but there's
definitely things shifting.

I'm hoping it's climate or coincidence but we had a downstairs wall out*
a couple of years ago and it's making me paranoid!

Talk to me about your cracks and hopefully put my mind at rest.

*Load bearing wall, 2 rooms into one done by a builder and a concrete
lintel put in that's sitting on one skin of brick of the internal wall.

If they've used modern mortar on an old house built with lime, expect some
cracks as it can't move in the same way as lime. But not something to
worry about unduly, unless the cracks become large. And this very dry
spring can cause more movement than normal in an old house.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 13:50, Andrew wrote:

Did the OP submit a bulding notice, or just rely on
the word of a jobbing builder ?.

It was looked at before and after by someone who's exact capacity I
forget but I recall paying £200 for the privilege.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 10:27, R D S wrote:
When it was freezing cold over winter I noted that our back doors were
catching, but they've since sorted themselves out. I'm aware that's not
unusual.

Recently I've noticed a crack in some plaster above the bathroom window,
similar above a bedroom door and there's a small gap between the wall
and the some of the skirting on the stairs. Only a mm or two but there's
definitely things shifting.

I'm hoping it's climate or coincidence but we had a downstairs wall out*
a couple of years ago and it's making me paranoid!

Talk to me about your cracks and hopefully put my mind at rest.

*Load bearing wall, 2 rooms into one done by a builder and a concrete
lintel put in that's sitting on one skin of brick of the internal wall.

A general rule of thumb is that horizontal or vertical cracks of a few
mm aren't usually anything to worry about. It's when they are diagonal
down a wall it could be time to call in a structural engineer.

--

Jeff