Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor deflection & cracks in the walls

Hi

I hope this is the right group to send this to...

About a year ago we had an insurance company appointed surveyor to
come and have a look at various cracks in the ceiling/internal walls
in our victorian terrace (ground floor flat). I'm pretty sure the
cracks have always been there (I've been here for 9 years) but they
were becoming more noticeable, especially after a TV programme that
was banging on about subsidence! Anyway, during the visit he said he
was pretty sure it wasn't subsidence and later he sent a letter
stating that the cracks were most likely due to "deflection of the
floor structure". I'm not 100% sure what this means but the letter
also stated that this was considered as wear & tear, so I wasn't
overly worried.

The visit was about a year ago and since then the cracks have
definitely got longer. Should I be running for the hills or just fill
the cracks and not worry about it - i.e. is there likely anything that
can be done to fix this deflection issue?

Thanks
Warren
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wozza wrote:

[...]

Ceiling and wall cracks are 2 completely different animals. Victorian
timber frame ceilings tend to deflect far more than modern designs,
and it results in cracking sometimes. Fill the cracks, don't worry.

Wall cracks are another matter. Old houses do tend to move a bit,
causing cracks in the walls. If these are small, just fill the cracks
on the inside and use lime mortar for exterior mortar cracks. Its
hard to draw a line as to when it becomes a problem, but bear in
mind that new and old houses behave very differently in this area,
and oddly there are many surveyors about that try to treat old
buildings like modern ones, worrying about slight movement and
specifying quite inappropriate remedies for what are usually simply
normal maintenance requirements.

Expertise:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

NT