Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace Bosch Oven Light - GGrrrr

Hi all

Not sure how common a problem this is or whether it is a design flaw.

Whenever I need to replace the oven light, the glass cover that protects
the bulb is always seized in, probably something to do with cycling
temperatures mixed with vapourised food particles.

Anyhow, this time it seems to be worse than ever. Either that or I am
getting weaker which is highly likely.

The glass cover which is about 2-1/2" diameter has a thread on it, so
the whole thing screws into a plate at the top of the oven. It doesn't
screw into the oven casing itself but rather a plate above this which
moves a bit when turning the glass cover (this is not really relevant
but a detail which seems strange to me).

Unfortunately, the glass cover is surrounded by heating element so it is
not possible to get one of those rubber strap type oil filter remover
gizmos on it.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?
And yes, according to the instruction manual I am turning the thing the
right way (although I have tried "tightening" it in an attempt to free
it off).

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster expressed precisely :
Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover to
unscrew please?
And yes, according to the instruction manual I am turning the thing the right
way (although I have tried "tightening" it in an attempt to free it off).

Ours are oblong, either side, slide in to latch and yes they too jam. I
get a heavy block of wood and tap them with that, which always frees
them - though next time I intend smearing some high melting point
grease on the mating surfaces, to see if that helps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?

It seems expensive for what it is, but it works

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/04/2021 10:20, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Not sure how common a problem this is or whether it is a design flaw.

Whenever I need to replace the oven light, the glass cover that protects
the bulb is always seized in, probably something to do with cycling
temperatures mixed with vapourised food particles.

Anyhow, this time it seems to be worse than ever.Â* Either that or I am
getting weaker which is highly likely.

The glass cover which is about 2-1/2" diameter has a thread on it, so
the whole thing screws into a plate at the top of the oven.Â* It doesn't
screw into the oven casing itself but rather a plate above this which
moves a bit when turning the glass cover (this is not really relevant
but a detail which seems strange to me).

Unfortunately, the glass cover is surrounded by heating element so it is
not possible to get one of those rubber strap type oil filter remover
gizmos on it.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?
And yes, according to the instruction manual I am turning the thing the
right way (although I have tried "tightening" it in an attempt to free
it off).

Thanks

Phil

Same oven. Same problem. Holding the glass with a rubber glove *greatly*
increases my grip. This has worked for me so far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

.... and when (if?) you manage to get the cover off don't screw it back
fully when you have replaced the bulb. I.e. screw it right in then
undo it half a turn or so.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
thescullster wrote:
[...]

I found a device akin to a large socket which fits over the cover and
provides a large knob to turn. This was for a Bosch oven - part found on
Amazon, ISTR Still got it, but no label on it - sorry.

Oh and make sure the power to the oven is turned off. Some form of
interlock was in mine. Since the door is open the lamp could otherwise be
live.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
thescullster wrote:

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?

It seems expensive for what it is, but it works

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE

That's the one I got.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE That's the one I got.

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 11:24, Andy Burns wrote:
charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE That's
the one I got.

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...

Bless! The point of consumer marketing is to make the product cheap and
attractive to by, but expensive to own.

Only businesses do TCO calculations, by and large..

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:20:16 +0100, thescullster wrote:

[...]

For our Bosch oven, they sell an extractor that fits over the cover and
makes it easy to turn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 11:24:17 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE That's
the one I got.

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...

I bought one when I bought the bulb. From Bosch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE That's
the one I got.

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...

Bless! The point of consumer marketing is to make the product cheap and
attractive to by, but expensive to own.

Only businesses do TCO calculations, by and large..

As this is a DIY group, why not print one?

https://www.myminifactory.com/object...s-cookers-5921

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE

As this is a DIY group, why not print one?
https://www.myminifactory.com/object...s-cookers-5921

Amazon can probably deliver quicker than 6.5 hours :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 10:54, Chris Green wrote:
GB wrote:
[...]

I think that is worth a try. Another option would be to apply a few
turns of PTFE tape, making sure you don't leave any loose that could get
on to an element. The problem arises from the cover threads becoming
"glued" with lacquers formed by oxidised oils and fats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris

My reservations there would be the thing vibrating undone and dropping
off with all the clattering of trays, shelves and plates that goes on
with these oven things.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 10:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
thescullster expressed precisely :
Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?
And yes, according to the instruction manual I am turning the thing
the right way (although I have tried "tightening" it in an attempt to
free it off).

Ours are oblong, either side, slide in to latch and yes they too jam. I
get a heavy block of wood and tap them with that, which always frees
them - though next time I intend smearing some high melting point grease
on the mating surfaces, to see if that helps.

Hmmm yes - haven't tried the hammer approach yet.
Surprised no-ones suggested an angle grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Hey - could have a result there!!!
Remembered having the same problem a while ago and looked back at emails.
Found one from 2014 that offered to supply a removal tool. Rang the
number just now and they have put one in the post FOC.

Presumably this is the item that one or two have posted links for.
Will post back with the result.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE That's
the one I got.

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...

They *do* supply one with every (overpriced!) replacement glass cover.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 16:56, thescullster wrote:
[...]

Found one from 2014 that offered to supply a removal tool.Â* Rang the
number just now and they have put one in the post FOC.

Presumably this is the item that one or two have posted links for.
Will post back with the result.

Phil

If the door is hinged at the bottom, remove it before changing the bulb.
It's then easier to get in the right position to apply some torque to
the glass cover.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 17:09, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

It is - thanks Roger I'll keep that in mind.

Did seem to be getting some pretty serious umpty on the thing using hand
force and a wide rubbber strap

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

If the door is hinged at the bottom, remove it before changing the bulb.
It's then easier to get in the right position to apply some torque to
the glass cover.

I removed the door, all the shelves, tried rubber gloves, tried work
gloves with rubber grip-dots ... the only thing that worked was the
bosch tool
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
No the loose particles might get into the food.

I assume you have gone around the edge with a thin knife to see if its
hardened grot that is the problem?
Seems odd for it to be a screw in type, most of the ones I've seen have
some kind of latching device that pushes pulls or twists.
Brian

where it's located makes that an almost impossible project.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:31:50 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

thescullster wrote:

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?

It seems expensive for what it is, but it works

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE

Even cheaper:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spare-Removal-Bulbs-Cover-Covers/dp/B081H6DY4F

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:20:16 +0100, thescullster wrote:

Hi all

Not sure how common a problem this is or whether it is a design flaw.

Whenever I need to replace the oven light, the glass cover that protects
the bulb is always seized in, probably something to do with cycling
temperatures mixed with vapourised food particles.

That was my impression too. :-(

Anyhow, this time it seems to be worse than ever. Either that or I am
getting weaker which is highly likely.

Yep! That too

The glass cover which is about 2-1/2" diameter has a thread on it, so
the whole thing screws into a plate at the top of the oven. It doesn't
screw into the oven casing itself but rather a plate above this which
moves a bit when turning the glass cover (this is not really relevant
but a detail which seems strange to me).

It's a stainless sheet steel construction with a hole punched out and
the edges formed into a single screw thread matching that of the glass
cover. It minimises the area of contact with the glass in the hope of
minimising the strength of the 'glue bond line' that forms over the years
of utter neglect between actual lamp failures.

Unfortunately, the glass cover is surrounded by heating element so it is
not possible to get one of those rubber strap type oil filter remover
gizmos on it.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover
to unscrew please?
And yes, according to the instruction manual I am turning the thing the
right way (although I have tried "tightening" it in an attempt to free
it off).

Reading this reminded me about the last time I was forced to remove
these covers in order to replace a lamp some two or three years back.
Thus reminded that the time to give them their annual (biennual?) routine
extraction/clean up/insertion cycle was now probably way overdue, I
decided to check the lamp fixtures in our Bosch double oven to see
whether the great care I had taken to NOT over-tighten both covers _and_
lamps had actually done some good.

Whilst the covers _and_ the lamps seemed a bit tight initially, I _was_
able to extract them without much difficulty (at least to the extent of
thoughts "There MUST be a special tool for this!" not springing to mind
like the last time I did this job).

The main fan assisted oven which only gets used one or twice a year
(Christmas time) was, as I expected, the easiest to check out (but still
surprisingly tight to start with). That lamp is tucked away into the
upper right hand back corner, suitably angled to illuminate the oven
interior. I guess this helps minimise the inevitable build up of crud as
well as make it a little easier to get a hand grip on the cover.

The upper toaster/oven, otoh, locates the lamp dead centre in its roof
in amongst the toaster elements just like you described. This is the one
that sees frequent and regular use so I was expecting this to prove a
little harder to deal with. It was, but not enough to consider spending
over a fiver on a "Use once every five years" lamp cover extraction aid.

The glass cover, unlike that of the main oven cover glass, was in a far
from pristine state, so I landed up making a near futile attempt to clean
off the brown varnish coating from the textured surface moulded into the
glass (it really does need the use of a small wire brush to do this
justice).

However, a 100% or so boost in light transmission justifies the ten
minutes or so I'd spent on removing something like 50% or so of this
light absorbent coating (especially as I'm using a 25W pygmy oven lamp
rather than an over-priced Bosch 40W original - the main oven meanwhile,
remains blessed with a full fat 40W replacement).

The cheaper 15W pygmy oven lamps will still fit the Bosch oven lamp
holders so are worth having in the kitchen spares drawer as cheap 'get
you by spare'. Even better if you can spot any of these in the 25W rating
since the reduction in light output is far less than that of the more
commonly available 15W lamps (but any amount of illumination is better
than none at all).

The key to saving on the expense of a 'special extraction tool' in this
case, would appear to be adding a reminder to every new kitchen calendar
you buy, to check them over once a year (November seems as good a choice
of month as any). And, of course, not forgetting to take great care to
not over-tighten the covers or the lamps when re-fitting them.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Andy Burns wrote: https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELK1YLE That's
the one I got.

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...

Bless! The point of consumer marketing is to make the product cheap and
attractive to by, but expensive to own.

Only businesses do TCO calculations, by and large..

As this is a DIY group, why not print one?

https://www.myminifactory.com/object...-remover-tool-

on-bosch-neff-and-siemens-cookers-5921

That idea did cross my mind until a check on ours, after 2 or 3 years of
'neglect', proved that the care I's taken in refitting the covers avoids
the need for any such investment, especially if you check them annually.

However, for anyone else who feels that the use of such an extraction
aid is the only way forward, there seems an even cheaper option to DIY
such a tool when you don't have a 3D printer to hand. :-

If you don't already have your own stock of Polymorph, you can always
order a 100g pack for under 6 quid delivered from a UK seller on Ebay
(avoiding the slow boat from China delay).

For example:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293270548586

And, even cheaper!:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264468711861

I've known about this stuff for quite a few years now but never got
round to buying any until just now - I've just added the 250g pack to my
shopping trolley.

It's an option worth considering, especially with a double oven when you
might be struggling with only one of the cover glasses and have the other
one, literally, to hand for use as a mould.

More information on this useful material he-

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Ma...ph-Plastic--a-
thermal-/

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

My own (and seemingly others') experience suggests Bosch may have
designed the thin pressed out of stainless steel threaded plate glass
cover holder to do exactly the opposite, ie tighten it up in response to
such vibration and/or thermal cycling. :-

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:55:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

If the door is hinged at the bottom, remove it before changing the
bulb.
It's then easier to get in the right position to apply some torque to
the glass cover.

I removed the door, all the shelves, tried rubber gloves, tried work
gloves with rubber grip-dots ... the only thing that worked was the
bosch tool

That reminds me of the joke:-

BOYFRIEND:- "I don't know what you're complaining about, this steak
doesn't seem all that tough."

GIRLFRIEND:- "That's because I've just spent the last ten minutes chewing
on it!"

Boom, boom! :-

--
Johnny B Good