Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Built in Bosch combi microwave - remove to replace light???

I need to replace the internal light in our Bosch combi microwave.

The instructions say to turn off the mains supply.
Fair enough - you have to have the door open which turns the light on so
you wouldn't want to "hot swap" the bulb.

However the instructions then say to remove the two retaining screws which
hold the oven into the cabinet, and to completely remove the oven before
replacing the bulb.

At the moment I am struggling to understand why you would need to do that.

Unless it is some H&S belt and braces to ensure that you really have
disconnected the oven from the mains.

Can anyone think of a valid reason?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2020 17:21:03 +0000, David wrote:

I need to replace the internal light in our Bosch combi microwave.

The instructions say to turn off the mains supply.
Fair enough - you have to have the door open which turns the light on so
you wouldn't want to "hot swap" the bulb.

However the instructions then say to remove the two retaining screws
which hold the oven into the cabinet, and to completely remove the oven
before replacing the bulb.

At the moment I am struggling to understand why you would need to do
that.

Unless it is some H&S belt and braces to ensure that you really have
disconnected the oven from the mains.

Can anyone think of a valid reason?

Dumb bunny moment as usual.

There are two things which cover the cavity where the light is:

(1) Glass panel inside the oven to let the light shine through; I thought
this was where the bulb was changed but there is a wire mesh directly
behind it. Presumably to stop microwaves escaping.

(2) A panel on the outside of the oven, obviously concealed by the kitchen
unit. So you have to slide the oven out until you can get access to this
panel. You don't have to take the oven all the way out (although it is
probably safer) if you have a beautiful assistant to hold the front of the
oven just in case.

Still no idea why you are supposed to put a tea towel inside the oven to
protect from damage.
No moving parts.

Whatever, the new light bulb is now in and working.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Standing waves, but don't do it with a combination oven unless you like
charred towel smell.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:29:18 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Standing waves, but don't do it with a combination oven unless you like
charred towel smell.
Brian

FTOAD the instruction was to place the tea towel inside the oven whilst
removing the oven, replacing the bulb, and refitting it.

As the oven would be turned off and probably disconnected from the mains I
am not sure how you could get standing waves, let alone char anything.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 12:05:13 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:29:18 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Standing waves, but don't do it with a combination oven unless you like
charred towel smell.
Brian

FTOAD the instruction was to place the tea towel inside the oven whilst
removing the oven, replacing the bulb, and refitting it.

As the oven would be turned off and probably disconnected from the mains I
am not sure how you could get standing waves, let alone char anything.
Cheers

Dave R

Only use for a towel in the cooking cavity I can think of is to stop glass breakage, but removing the tt first would be saner.

Brian usually starts his posts with 'I imagine,' maybe he forgot this time.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:29:18 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Standing waves, but don't do it with a combination oven unless you
like charred towel smell.
Brian

FTOAD the instruction was to place the tea towel inside the oven whilst
removing the oven, replacing the bulb, and refitting it.

As the oven would be turned off and probably disconnected from the
mains I am not sure how you could get standing waves, let alone char
anything. Cheers

Dave R

Only use for a towel in the cooking cavity I can think of is to stop
glass breakage, but removing the tt first would be saner.

Brian usually starts his posts with 'I imagine,' maybe he forgot this
time.

Only thing is that as a combination fan oven, grill and microwave this
doesn't have a turntable.

I am still occasionally bemused that after decades of being told not to
put anything metal in a microwave that this has metal shelves instead of a
glass turntable.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It makes sense. Metal in a nuke is fine in some cases, but if you tell everyone they can do it you know there'll be tears before bed time.

Of course no glass tt. I've seen ceramic & metal tts in combis, as well as no tt. The towel thing just doesn't make sense afaics.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2020 12:05, David wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:29:18 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Standing waves, but don't do it with a combination oven unless you like
charred towel smell.
Brian

FTOAD the instruction was to place the tea towel inside the oven whilst
removing the oven, replacing the bulb, and refitting it.

Possibly because people don't remove the glass turntable first? It is
only held in place by gravity and some small lugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 22:40:11 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 04/12/2020 12:05, David wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:29:18 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Standing waves, but don't do it with a combination oven unless you
like charred towel smell.
Brian

FTOAD the instruction was to place the tea towel inside the oven whilst
removing the oven, replacing the bulb, and refitting it.

Possibly because people don't remove the glass turntable first? It is
only held in place by gravity and some small lugs.

What glass turntable?

Please read previous posts :-)

Cheers

Dave R