Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hedghog Highways, fencer failed to make

OK I need some suggestions. I asked the person building my new fence to make
a couple of hedgehog highways in the base, but he forgot, and I could not
see this till somebody sighted came around. He says now its too late as the
concrete Gravel boards are now cemented in, even though the fence panels can
of course be pulled out. So Should I try to dig little tunnels under the
concrete about 6 inches deep and line them with something to create them? I
don't really want to try to cut the concrete gravel boards, and then rejoin
them with brackets or something as for a start it will not last and secondly
a lump of angle iron on the bottom of the fence will look awful, and rust
way.

Anyone done this after a fence with a cement gravel board is built?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

I am sorry that he ****ed it up. Have you already paid him?

I have my own hedgehog nesting place.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2021 12:33, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
OK I need some suggestions. I asked the person building my new fence to make
a couple of hedgehog highways in the base, but he forgot, and I could not
see this till somebody sighted came around. He says now its too late as the
concrete Gravel boards are now cemented in, even though the fence panels can
of course be pulled out. So Should I try to dig little tunnels under the
concrete about 6 inches deep and line them with something to create them?

That is exactly what the foxes have done around my way to get to the
various gardens even though they can also jump from shed to shed roofs
and use compost daleks as a step.

Personally I would bother lining them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildli...-angle-grinder

If it's the type with rebar inside, exposing it will start that rusting
and eventually crumbling the concrete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/04/2021 12:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Richard wrote:
https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildli...-angle-grinder

If it's the type with rebar inside, exposing it will start that rusting
and eventually crumbling the concrete

Can they not be painted with something?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 12:33:56 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
[...]

Might be easier to cut out of the timber panel and build a hedgehog size ramp up to the hole.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2021 12:50, alan_m wrote:

Personally I would bother lining them.

........ wouldn't bother lining

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2021 12:50, alan_m wrote:
On 25/04/2021 12:33, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
OK I need some suggestions. I asked the person building my new fence
to make
a couple of hedgehog highways in the base, but he forgot, and I could not
see this till somebody sighted came around. He says now its too late
as the
concrete Gravel boards are now cemented in, even though the fence
panels can
of course be pulled out. So Should I try to dig littleÂ* tunnels under the
concrete about 6 inches deep and line them with something to create them?

That is exactly what the foxes have done around my way to get to the
various gardens even though they can also jump from shed to shed roofs
and use compost daleks as a step.

Personally I would bother lining them.

+1

Foxes dug a hole under the fence twixt me an neighbour so that they
could knock the peanut feeder stand over, but has also been seen
jumping/scrambling over 6 foot panel fences.

Hedgehogs are quite good at climbing, as has been shown on TV
programs about hedgehog highways so making a hole in the panel
above the gravel board would do. Just add a housebrick each side
as a stepping stone ifyou want to help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :
If it's the type with rebar inside, exposing it will start that rusting and
eventually crumbling the concrete

A metal detector will confirm whether there is, or isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:12:02 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 25/04/2021 15:21, Andrew wrote:

Hedgehogs are quite good at climbing, as has been shown on TV
programs about hedgehog highways so making a hole in the panel
above the gravel board would do. Just add a housebrick each side
as a stepping stone ifyou want to help.

I like that solution.

+1 (depending on what was on the other side of the fence and being
able to do the same on the other side so it can get out if it's the
only access way)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes a bit beyond my expertise these days. Many of the things I found on line
were in video form, soar t of as you can see here sort of videos, which I
can't see that is.

How do you decide if an angle grinder man is going to do it right or end
up with two half gravel boards, is there a certificate for angle grinder
users, National certified angle grinding institute or some such?

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I do not know that, but I thought that concrete only had strength in
compression anyway, as some of the problems with a Bridge near Wales was
rusting of the tensioned cabling inside concrete beams.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Richard wrote:
https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildli...-angle-grinder

If it's the type with rebar inside, exposing it will start that rusting
and eventually crumbling the concrete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but the edges of the hole will crumble over time and the protection will
drop off as folk will never remember to keep an eye on it. Depends where
the bar is, Do you think a metal detector or cable finder might tell us
where they are?

Richard wrote:
https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildli...-angle-grinder

If it's the type with rebar inside, exposing it will start that rusting
and eventually crumbling the concrete

Can they not be painted with something?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, but this is only a word of mouth agreement. His work is excellent
otherwise according to the eyes who have looked at it.
It will save me a lot over my declining years as the old fence needed posts
and rails every year and was going to be far more expensive to do than a new
fence.

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I assume if they were used then you would not get a lot of weeds, but
you might also get a lot of other animals widening them as well.

The foxes, I'd say will have no bother climbing over them, they are not
huge, I don't live in stalag 13 with machine guns at each corner!

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 25/04/2021 12:50, alan_m wrote:

Personally I would bother lining them.

....... wouldn't bother lining

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll have to think about that. The idea I think here is to re introduce the
Hedgehog again since we have not seen one for over 2 years. Maybe somebody
could teach them that rolling up into a ball on a busy suburban street is
not a good way to avoid cars. Also people need to be very wary when using
strimmers as some Hedgehogs have had legs amputated by them.

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 08:52, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'll have to think about that. The idea I think here is to re introduce the
Hedgehog again since we have not seen one for over 2 years. Maybe somebody
could teach them that rolling up into a ball on a busy suburban street is
not a good way to avoid cars. Also people need to be very wary when using
strimmers as some Hedgehogs have had legs amputated by them.

A friend of mine had four hedgehogs visiting the garden every day.
Towards the start of winter, and over a period of two weeks, three of
them were found very slowly wandering around the lawn during the day,
which is not a good sign. All three were taken to the local hedgehog
rescue centre which was only a five minutes drive from my friend's
house. All died within a day or two. The people running the hedgehog
rescue said that they had many hedgehogs brought in from around the
local area which had died soon afterwards.

My friend will be re-populating the garden if the rescue centre has any
over-wintered hogs that have survived.

I believe that in some areas hedgehogs have evolved to run when caught
out on a road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I believe that in some areas hedgehogs have evolved to run when caught
out on a road.

I don't even see squished hedgehogs nowadays, plenty of badgers though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 10:13, Tim Streater wrote:
On 26 Apr 2021 at 10:11:35 BST, Andy Burns wrote:

alan_m wrote:

I believe that in some areas hedgehogs have evolved to run when caught
out on a road.

I don't even see squished hedgehogs nowadays, plenty of badgers though.

Badgers eat hedgehogs.

Then, overcome with Vegan Guilt, they suicide in front of electric cars..

--
€śIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€ť

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That was certainly the problem of a bridge in Genoa

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Yes I do not know that, but I thought that concrete only had strength in
compression anyway, as some of the problems with a Bridge near Wales was
rusting of the tensioned cabling inside concrete beams.
Brian

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Yes I assume if they were used then you would not get a lot of weeds, but
you might also get a lot of other animals widening them as well.

The foxes, I'd say will have no bother climbing over them, they are not
huge,

I don't live in stalag 13 with machine guns at each corner!

A likely story. We have the youtube videos...

Posted by your care slut...

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 25/04/2021 12:50, alan_m wrote:

Personally I would bother lining them.

....... wouldn't bother lining

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
I'll have to think about that. The idea I think here is to re introduce
the Hedgehog again since we have not seen one for over 2 years. Maybe
somebody could teach them that rolling up into a ball on a busy suburban
street is not a good way to avoid cars. Also people need to be very wary
when using strimmers as some Hedgehogs have had legs amputated by them.

D I M has just burst a blood vessel, again.

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:49:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:51:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Yes a bit beyond my expertise these days. Many of the things I found on
line were in video form, soar t of as you can see here sort of videos,
which I can't see that is.

How do you decide if an angle grinder man is going to do it right or end
up with two half gravel boards,

Get at sighted person to see how his previous ones have worked out.

Corse he isnt likely to tell that person about the ones he ****ed up...

is there a certificate for angle grinder users, National certified angle
grinding institute or some such?

Corse there is, and a national certificate of
hedgehog tunnel grinding in new fences too.

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:10:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pam Ayres wrote a book of hedgehog poems and anecdotes.

Digging out compost heaps with a garden fork is another
problem for hedgehogs.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the.../9781509881260

Andrew

On 26/04/2021 08:52, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'll have to think about that. The idea I think here is to re introduce the
Hedgehog again since we have not seen one for over 2 years. Maybe somebody
could teach them that rolling up into a ball on a busy suburban street is
not a good way to avoid cars. Also people need to be very wary when using
strimmers as some Hedgehogs have had legs amputated by them.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 14:39, Andrew wrote:
Pam Ayres wrote a book of hedgehog poems and anecdotes.

Digging out compost heaps with a garden fork is another
problem for hedgehogs.

Definitely. They can't grip the handles very well with their little paws.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the.../9781509881260

Andrew

On 26/04/2021 08:52, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'll have to think about that. The idea I think here is to re
introduce the
Hedgehog again since we have not seen one for over 2 years. Maybe
somebody
could teach them that rolling up into a ball on a busy suburban street is
not a good way to avoid cars. AlsoÂ* people need to be very wary when
using
strimmers as some Hedgehogs have had legs amputated by them.
Â* Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
alan_m wrote:

I believe that in some areas hedgehogs have evolved to run when
caught out on a road.

I don't even see squished hedgehogs nowadays, plenty of badgers though.

Indeed, although I suspect slug pellets may also have an impact.

--
Tim Lamb