Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Increased Speed Limits on Highways

Recently they increased the speed limit from 55mph to 70 mph on all
major highways in a nearby statem where I travel regularly.

At first I thought this was a good idea. I always liked to drive about
60 when traveling between cities, which meant I had to watch the
speedometer to avoid exceeding that speed and getting a ticket. Now, I
can stay in the right lane, and still drive about 60, and not worry
about getting a ticket. Driving at 70 seems too fast to me, but I can do
it if I wish.

The problem is that many drivers now do 80, and that's way too fast.

While 70 seems good in between cities, they continue that speed limit
INSIDE the cities limits. This is just WRONG!

The speed limits should be reduced to 55 beginning about 5 or 10 miles
outside of the city limits.

I was approaching a city, and there are many ramps, and approaches to go
around the city, or toward another city, and it was rush hour. I was in
the middle of a bunch of semi trucks and cars all going close to 80, and
trying to read the signs and react to get into the right lanes in order
to get to the proper ramps or splits in the highway. I have never been
so panicked in my life. Granted, I live in a rural area, where we dont
have the traffic congestion, or fast speeds, and I'm not used to it, but
I have been in cities during rush hour many times in the past, and I
managed to cope. At 70mph, I was not coping at all, and became so
stressed that I just got off at the nearest ramp, and parked the car, to
regain my sanity. Then I proceeded to drive thru the city stop and go
traffic, even if that means taking an hour longer. There was no way I
was getting back on that freeway.

70mph is fine between cities, but should be reduced to 55 when inside
the city, and starting outside the city limits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 11:18:17 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

It's good that you got off of the freeway. Slow drivers are just as
dangerous as fast drivers because you force the other drivers to
maneuver around you. Even 60 in a 70 is too slow, especially since
it is usually acceptable to exceed the posted limit by at least 5
MPH. That's puts you at 15 MPG slower than most everyone else. That's
dangerous, especially if you are in any lane other than the right.

On the highways, I set my cruise control at 9 over the limit and I don't
even blink when I see Officer Friendly sitting in the median. If I see
a trooper approaching from the rear, I put my signal on and move out of
the way, but I don't slow down. It's gotta suck to be a cop and see
brakes lights in front of you when you trying to get past people. He's
doing 80 in a 65 approaching a vehicle doing 70 - 74 and the other
driver slows down just because there's a cop behind him. Trust me, if he
wanted to give you a ticket, it's typically too late by the time you see
him approaching from the rear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 10:14:28 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Keep it to yourself. People out in the country have no problem at 80
or more and if you can't keep up, stay on the little roads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used to drive faster, but on any nearby trip you only save a few minutes by doing 80, so you dont gain much, but get worse gas mileageand hurt worse in a accident........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
I used to drive faster, but on any nearby trip you only save a few minutes by doing 80, so you dont gain much, but get worse gas mileageand hurt worse in a accident........

What about the fun?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 1:32:27 PM UTC-4, Ed
Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/6/2016 10:14 AM, wrote:

While 70 seems good in between cities, they
continue that speed
limit INSIDE the cities limits. This is just WRONG!

The speed limits should be reduced to 55 beginning
about 5 or 10
miles outside of the city limits.

If you say that in public you may get lynched. I
have no problem at
70 to 75 depending on conditions. There is one
stretch that I often
do 90 to 100 for a short distance.

I was approaching a city, and there are many ramps,
and approaches
to go around the city, or toward another city, and
it was rush
hour. I was in the middle of a bunch of semi trucks
and cars all
going close to 80, and trying to read the signs and
react to get
into the right lanes in order to get to the proper
ramps or splits
in the highway. I have never been so panicked in my
life.

Best to get off the highway or at least stick to the
right..

70mph is fine between cities, but should be reduced
to 55 when
inside the city, and starting outside the city
limits.

I often go through Worcester MA where the speed
limit is 50. If you
cannot drive at 70, you may get run over.

Same for 91 near Springfield.

One of my favorite songs of all time is " I can't drive
55 " by Sammy Hagar!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 8:27 PM, bob haller wrote:
I used to drive faster, but on any nearby trip you only save a few minutes by doing 80, so you dont gain much, but get worse gas mileageand hurt worse in a accident........

Given proper conditions, I just like to drive fast. Nothing to do with
time and don't care about fuel mileage enough to slow down. Safety is a
concern though. I don't weave in traffic or foul weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/06/2016 08:14 AM, wrote:
riving at 70 seems too fast to me, but I can do
it if I wish.

Stay out of Montana or you'll be a hood ornament on a F350.
Posted to alt.home.repair

70mph is fine between cities, but should be reduced to 55 when
inside the city, and starting outside the city limits.

I often go through Worcester MA where the speed limit is 50. If you
cannot drive at 70, you may get run over.

Same for 91 near Springfield.

One of my favorite songs of all time is " I can't drive 55 " by Sammy
Hagar!

I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is
70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Agreed, PaintedCow.

Post a speed limit: 25, 55, or 85, and an
American will automatically exceed it by at
least 10mph.

America was founded by people who don't
like to be told what to do, of people who don't
like to be told what to do, for people who
don't like to be told what to do.

smh...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:43:11 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
I used to drive faster, but on any nearby trip you only save a few minutes by doing 80, so you dont gain much, but get worse gas mileageand hurt worse in a accident........

What about the fun?

its past time to make all new vehicles report speeding automatically.

with GPS imbedded in car, te vehicle would monitor its location, and report all speeding events....your state would send you a ticket.

this day is coming soon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/2016 02:05 AM, Bod wrote:

I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is
70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.

There's no talk about it in this state; it's already 80, 70 on most two
lanes. We didn't have a daytime speed limit but the Feds twisted our arm
until we put some signs up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 7:02:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Agreed, PaintedCow.

Post a speed limit: 25, 55, or 85, and an
American will automatically exceed it by at
least 10mph.

Actually, no.

That's a myth.

Given any set of conditions (width of highway, hills, curves, obstructions, visibility, etc.) 85% of drivers will automatically choose a safe speed. Speed limit signs have been proven to have no effect except where enforcement is very heavy.

Slow drivers are not a hazard IF they stay in the slow lane - but they don't. Jerks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2016 14:43, rbowman wrote:
On 10/07/2016 02:05 AM, Bod wrote:

I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is
70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.

There's no talk about it in this state; it's already 80, 70 on most two
lanes. We didn't have a daytime speed limit but the Feds twisted our arm
until we put some signs up.

Ok.
The general rule here (UK), is that you can get nicked for doing 10% +
2mph over the limit. So on a 70 limit it would be 79mph. 30 would be 35 etc.
So a fair amount of leeway. I don't know if it's the same in the US...?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 09:05:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

70mph is fine between cities, but should be reduced to 55 when
inside the city, and starting outside the city limits.

I often go through Worcester MA where the speed limit is 50. If you
cannot drive at 70, you may get run over.

Same for 91 near Springfield.

One of my favorite songs of all time is " I can't drive 55 " by Sammy
Hagar!

I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is
70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.

Who cares what the signs say? I go as fast as the engine allows. Whenever someone tells me off for driving too fast, I say "I wasn't driving fast, it just appears that way as you have a slow brain."

--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:18:12 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 07/10/2016 14:43, rbowman wrote:
On 10/07/2016 02:05 AM, Bod wrote:

I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is
70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.

There's no talk about it in this state; it's already 80, 70 on most two
lanes. We didn't have a daytime speed limit but the Feds twisted our arm
until we put some signs up.

Ok.
The general rule here (UK), is that you can get nicked for doing 10% +
2mph over the limit. So on a 70 limit it would be 79mph. 30 would be 35 etc.
So a fair amount of leeway. I don't know if it's the same in the US...?

I've never known any police force use that (and I know quite a few of them). They book you for 10mph over. If it's a built up area, they may occasionally caution people approaching it, but without giving them a ticket. But the real limit is 30mph over, that's when they give you a driving ban, everything else is just a warning.

--
Kangaroos cannot fart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

But you live in Scotland. England seems to stick to that rule.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2016 8:51 AM, rbowman wrote:

I got old, driving the speed limit is perfectly fine with me now
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:29:17 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

I don't think our cops can do percentages.

--
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Ok.
The general rule here (UK), is that you can get nicked for doing 10% +
2mph over the limit. So on a 70 limit it would be 79mph. 30 would be 35 etc.
So a fair amount of leeway. I don't know if it's the same in the US...?

There is no any general rule in the US. Some places (South Carolina) is
one that I know of that have the 'speed traps' that will give you a
ticket for even 2 miles over the speed limit. That is just a cash cow
for the officers and towns. I don't know about now, but at one time you
just paid the officer the fine. I bet most of that went into his
pocket. Especially for the ones from out of state.

Usually anything under 10 mph over the limit and you are safe. I was in
Charlestown SC one year and in heavy traffic. It was moving along about
15 mph over the limit. A police man got behind me and followed me about
half a mile. I started to slow down,but decided to just stay with the
traffic flow. He passed me as soon as there was a gap in the line of
traffic.

I remember when I was a young boy riding with my parents and an uncle
driving. He got pulled over. He asked the cop why him as others were
passing him. The cop said because he could not catch the others. My
uncle started the car and drove off. While leaving he said 'you can't
catch me either', and left teh cop standing on the side of the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2016 16:24, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Ha!...but wouldn't the cop have written down the number plate of the car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:28:36 +0100, Bod wrote:

I remember when I was a young boy riding with my parents and an uncle
driving. He got pulled over. He asked the cop why him as others were
passing him. The cop said because he could not catch the others. My
uncle started the car and drove off. While leaving he said 'you can't
catch me either', and left teh cop standing on the side of the road.

Ha!...but wouldn't the cop have written down the number plate of the car?

Sounds like a joke to me. Cops take catching fast cars as a game and
they live for a high speed chase. We equip them with pretty fast cars
so these chases can get deadly, usually for innocent 3d parties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2016 8:44 AM, bob haller wrote:

its past time to make all new vehicles report speeding automatically.

with GPS imbedded in car, te vehicle would monitor its location, and report all speeding events....your state would send you a ticket.

this day is coming soon

Things like that have been discussed and shot down. Same with taxing
electric cars based on miles. Speed cameras have been shot down in most
states to Americans don't like that crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:24:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/7/2016 8:44 AM, bob haller wrote:

its past time to make all new vehicles report speeding automatically.

with GPS imbedded in car, te vehicle would monitor its location, and report all speeding events....your state would send you a ticket.

this day is coming soon

Things like that have been discussed and shot down. Same with taxing
electric cars based on miles. Speed cameras have been shot down in most
states to Americans don't like that crap.

They would have to find me and make me replace that fuse. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:43:11 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 8:27:48 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
I used to drive faster, but on any nearby trip you only save a few minutes by doing 80, so you dont gain much, but get worse gas mileageand hurt worse in a accident........

What about the fun?

its past time to make all new vehicles report speeding automatically.

with GPS imbedded in car, te vehicle would monitor its location, and report all speeding events....your state would send you a ticket.

this day is coming soon

What does the gov't do correctly now? Name it specifically. What else do you
want them to do to you? Tell you what to eat and when? Tell you when to wake
up, go bathroom, go to work, how much to pay you, monitor your other
activities... Where do they stop Bob? How much you willing to pay? Just send
all your money and the gov't will determine how much, if any, to return. I
presume you want a nanny state. I don't. I think with the GPS tracking you
your visits to the places "on the list" will be limited.

Actually Bob, speeding is not the main cause of accidents. It gets listed as
that when a catch-all is needed because a limited amount of time is spent
investigating.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 10/07/2016 02:05 AM, Bod wrote:

I don't know if you Americans know, but the UK motorway speed limit is
70mph. There's talk of increasing it to 80.

There's no talk about it in this state; it's already 80, 70 on most two
lanes. We didn't have a daytime speed limit but the Feds twisted our arm
until we put some signs up.

That's what happens, the feds withhold money until the states knuckle under.

--
Tekkie

speed limits fred[_8_] UK diy 19 January 18th 13 09:37 AM
Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits Wes[_2_] Metalworking 1 February 26th 10 02:07 PM
Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits Wes[_2_] Metalworking 2 February 26th 10 09:48 AM
Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits Pete C. Metalworking 0 February 25th 10 07:25 PM
Does the police hassle drivers for driving below speed limits Louis Ohland Metalworking 1 February 25th 10 07:17 PM