Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT looking for a satnav app that zooms in at junctions

Im looking for an Android satnav app that zooms in the display at junctions where its giving an instruction. This is handy for me as my eyesight is not good enough to see the details on a smaller display without glasses.

Ive used Google Maps for ages and found it OK, but I recently tried the paid TomTom Go Android app and liked the way it zooms in. However, the app now doesnt seem to work and is incapable of doing a search for an address. Ive reinstalled it and it still wont work.

I tried the TomTom app some years ago and gave up on it, Id heard that the current one was good so gave it a try again, it was ok for a few days but now it seems not to work so Ive given up on it again. I used to think of TomTom as the main name in satnavs but their apps are useless.

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 05:37:54 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

snip

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

No (sorry), but it's a feature I've been enjoying on my 'real' (Garmin
Nuvi 215W) Satnav for years?

Big screen (certainly bigger than my phone at the time) and my phone
can stay in my pocket (and retain it's aging battery charge) and I
don't need to buy any questionable mounts for the phone as the GPS
comes with.

I do use Google maps on my phone now and again as that's reasonably
straightforward but often only for those 'weird' destinations and when
the Garmin has got me most the way.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

I think waze does, but not a high level of zoom, just a touch ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 13:37, Murmansk wrote:
Im looking for an Android satnav app that zooms in the display at junctions where its giving an instruction. This is handy for me as my eyesight is not good enough to see the details on a smaller display without glasses.

Ive used Google Maps for ages and found it OK, but I recently tried the paid TomTom Go Android app and liked the way it zooms in. However, the app now doesnt seem to work and is incapable of doing a search for an address. Ive reinstalled it and it still wont work.

I tried the TomTom app some years ago and gave up on it, Id heard that the current one was good so gave it a try again, it was ok for a few days but now it seems not to work so Ive given up on it again. I used to think of TomTom as the main name in satnavs but their apps are useless.

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

Have you considered using a larger tablet dedicated to the task?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you considered using a larger tablet dedicated to the task?

Yes, I did go so far as to get a tablet for this purpose and a mount for it but tend to find it a bit of a faff to set up and the TomTom app's ability to zoom in meant I could actually use the phone - until it stopped working!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 14:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

I think waze does, but not a high level of zoom, just a touch ...

It often specifies the lane you should be in too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 13:37, Murmansk wrote:

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

Er, don't you need it to zoom out at certain junctions such as
roundabouts where it helps if you can see your exit rather than just a
narrow view as you traverse the roundabout.

Relying solely on a Satnav view of a junction can be at times a bit
dangerous as sometimes its not up-to-date with road priorities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2021 21:29, Murmansk wrote:

Have you considered using a larger tablet dedicated to the task?

Yes, I did go so far as to get a tablet for this purpose and a mount for it but tend to find it a bit of a faff to set up and the TomTom app's ability to zoom in meant I could actually use the phone - until it stopped working!

Isn't the zoom based on the car's speed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk has brought this to us :
Im looking for an Android satnav app that zooms in the display at junctions
where its giving an instruction. This is handy for me as my eyesight is not
good enough to see the details on a smaller display without glasses.

Ive used Google Maps for ages and found it OK, but I recently tried the paid
TomTom Go Android app and liked the way it zooms in. However, the app now
doesnt seem to work and is incapable of doing a search for an address. Ive
reinstalled it and it still wont work.

I tried the TomTom app some years ago and gave up on it, Id heard that the
current one was good so gave it a try again, it was ok for a few days but now
it seems not to work so Ive given up on it again. I used to think of TomTom
as the main name in satnavs but their apps are useless.

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

Sygic does that, or I believe so anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 at 13:37:56 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
Im looking for an Android satnav app that zooms in the display at junctions where its giving an instruction. This is handy for me as my eyesight is not good enough to see the details on a smaller display without glasses.

Ive used Google Maps for ages and found it OK, but I recently tried the paid TomTom Go Android app and liked the way it zooms in. However, the app now doesnt seem to work and is incapable of doing a search for an address. Ive reinstalled it and it still wont work.

I tried the TomTom app some years ago and gave up on it, Id heard that the current one was good so gave it a try again, it was ok for a few days but now it seems not to work so Ive given up on it again. I used to think of TomTom as the main name in satnavs but their apps are useless.

Anyone know of a satnav app that zooms in at junctions?

Have you considered Here We Go?

I use it on Android tablet and iPhone - and have used it on Android phone. (And its earlier incarnation on Windows phone).

I think it zooms at junctions - but just tend to let it get on with it and rarely have an issue.

Plus, as it seems still to be "free", cheap and easy to try out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 May 2021 05:33:13 -0700, polygonum_on_google
wrote:

[...]

Waze

Avpx

--
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have
never managed it from the cat. (Witches Abroad)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the end I settled on CoPilot which I remembered I'd bought about 8 years ago but not used. I reinstated it and got a year's traffic reports which would normally cost £10 per year. It seems good, zooms in at junctions and has a voice that doesn't annoy me! The only thing that does annoy me is it takes about 30 seconds to start up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 May 2021 06:44:47 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

snip
The only thing that does annoy me is it takes about 30 seconds to start up!

It's funny how 'improving technology' seems to impact that sort of
thing.

In the old days you would turn your tube TV on and then go and make a
cuppa while it 'warmed up'. Then they used transistors and they would
come on nearly instantly. Then they based them on computers and now
they (can) take a while to boot up again. ;-)

In the old days it would often take a GPS some time to get it's first
'fix' of the session then faster / more sensitive chips made that near
instant, now we have apps that take 30 seconds to get going (whereas
my Garmin Nuvi is still nearly instant). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 May 2021 06:44:47 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

snip
The only thing that does annoy me is it takes about 30 seconds to start
up!

It's funny how 'improving technology' seems to impact that sort of
thing.

In the old days you would turn your tube TV on and then go and make a
cuppa while it 'warmed up'. Then they used transistors and they would
come on nearly instantly. Then they based them on computers and now
they (can) take a while to boot up again. ;-)

In the old days it would often take a GPS some time to get it's first
'fix' of the session then faster / more sensitive chips made that near
instant, now we have apps that take 30 seconds to get going (whereas
my Garmin Nuvi is still nearly instant). ;-)

Google Maps and Apple Maps on the iphone are both instant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 May 2021 03:37:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard about the senile troll:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."
MID: