Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Regulating chain-blade oil feed on battery chainsaw

I've noticed that our Black and Decker battery-powered chainsaw seems to
drink blade-lubricating oil. A tankful (about 50 ml at a very rough guess)
seems to last only a minute or so of operation, with a lot of oil being
splattered off the blade onto anything in range (gardening clothes, tree
being pruned etc). When I came to it today, it was sitting in a small puddle
of oil.

Is there any way with chainsaws of regulating how quickly the oil flows out?
The instruction manual doesn't actually label the port through which oil is
released onto the chain and I can't see an obvious hole. With the chain and
chain guard removed for cleaning, and the tank full, I can't see any oil
dripping out, so it's evidently happening too slowly to see a drip forming
when the motor isn't running.

The model is B&D GKC3630L20 and the manual and sale literature just says
"simple, leak-free oil system with automatic chain oiling" without anything
about what to do if the automatic process empties a tank in a minute or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 14:18, NY wrote:
[...]

I have the opposite problem on my otherwise excellent Lidl saw, which is
that it will not feed anything. I've been coping by using sprayed "Chain
lubricant), also from Lidl, iirc, as and when it seems necessary.

ICBA either to strip my saw or to go through the aggravation of trying
to negociate a replacement.

My Ryobi petrol chainsaw has a fixed rate mechanical pump, which
periodically strips its nylon drive gear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 3:09:27 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 20/04/2021 14:18, NY wrote:

I have the opposite problem on my otherwise excellent Lidl saw, which is
that it will not feed anything. I've been coping by using sprayed "Chain
lubricant), also from Lidl, iirc, as and when it seems necessary.

ICBA either to strip my saw or to go through the aggravation of trying
to negociate a replacement.

My Ryobi petrol chainsaw has a fixed rate mechanical pump, which
periodically strips its nylon drive gear.

I was advised by me dealer when I had this problem, to replace the oil with two-stroke mix and run it for five mintues without cutting anything, It worked a treat.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 14:18, NY wrote:

I have the opposite problem on my otherwise excellent Lidl saw, which is
that it will not feed anything. I've been coping by using sprayed "Chain
lubricant), also from Lidl, iirc, as and when it seems necessary.

ICBA either to strip my saw or to go through the aggravation of trying
to negociate a replacement.

My Ryobi petrol chainsaw has a fixed rate mechanical pump, which
periodically strips its nylon drive gear.

I was advised by me dealer when I had this problem, to replace the oil with two-stroke mix and run it for five mintues without cutting anything, It worked a treat.

Jonathan

Interesting idea, I will give that a go, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Is there any way with chainsaws of regulating how quickly the oil flows
out?

My battery chainsaw has a regulating screw underneath, it doesn't seem a
very precise way of determining how much oil it will sling about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 14:18, NY wrote:

I have the opposite problem on my otherwise excellent Lidl saw, which is
that it will not feed anything. I've been coping by using sprayed "Chain
lubricant), also from Lidl, iirc, as and when it seems necessary.

ICBA either to strip my saw or to go through the aggravation of trying
to negociate a replacement.

My Ryobi petrol chainsaw has a fixed rate mechanical pump, which
periodically strips its nylon drive gear.

I was advised by me dealer when I had this problem, to replace the oil
with two-stroke mix and run it for five mintues without cutting
anything, It worked a treat.

Jonathan

Interesting idea, I will give that a go, thanks.

Sadly it did not work for me :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 18:10, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Is there any way with chainsaws of regulating how quickly the oil
flows out?

My battery chainsaw has a regulating screw underneath, it doesn't seem a
very precise way of determining how much oil it will sling about.

****, I had better RTFM :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Is there any way with chainsaws of regulating how quickly the oil
flows out?

My battery chainsaw has a regulating screw underneath, it doesn't seem a
very precise way of determining how much oil it will sling about.

since the oil is biodegradable, the only issue is that you need 'enough
to lubricate the slide and keep the teeth cool. The rest gets flung off...

private property.

Karl Marx