Robert11

Default Chainsaw: Drain Chain Lubricant Oil Out Over Winter ? (necessary to do ?)

Hi,

Have a new chainsaw that I imagine I won't be using any more until the
spring.
First time I've ever had one of these things.

I understand about draining the gas out so it doesn't become gummy over the
winter.

But, is it also a good idea to drain the chain oil lubricant out also, or
not really necessary ?

Thanks,
Bob

louie

I don't think it's necessary. I've never heard of it being done
anyway.

When you drain the gas out, you'll want to make sure the carburetor is
drained out as well as the tank.

David Martel

Robert,

Draining the oil is unnecessary.

Dave M.

Harry K

louie wrote:
I don't think it's necessary. I've never heard of it being done
anyway.

When you drain the gas out, you'll want to make sure the carburetor is
drained out as well as the tank.

No, the oil does not need to be drained.

Drain the gas then run the saw until it quits to get the gas out of the
line/carb.

Harry K

Harry K

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a new chainsaw that I imagine I won't be using any more until the
spring.
First time I've ever had one of these things.

I understand about draining the gas out so it doesn't become gummy over the
winter.

But, is it also a good idea to drain the chain oil lubricant out also, or
not really necessary ?

Thanks,
Bob

In addition to draining the gas, give the saw a good cleaning. Remove
all covers, remove the chain and bar, clean the bar grooves using the
depth gauge that should have come with the saw, blow out the
chips/crud, clean the air filter.. When putting the chain back on,
turn the bar over to even out wear, either sharpen the chain or have it
sharpened. That gets it ready for use in the spring. Just add
fuel/oil mix and go.

Harry K

JohnH

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a new chainsaw that I imagine I won't be using any more until the
spring.
First time I've ever had one of these things.

I understand about draining the gas out so it doesn't become gummy
over the winter.

But, is it also a good idea to drain the chain oil lubricant out
also, or not really necessary ?

Absolutely. Make sure you replace it with chain oil chamber lubricant.
Chain oil works well for this.

George E. Cawthon

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a new chainsaw that I imagine I won't be using any more until the
spring.
First time I've ever had one of these things.

I understand about draining the gas out so it doesn't become gummy over the
winter.

But, is it also a good idea to drain the chain oil lubricant out also, or
not really necessary ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, oil doesn't deteriorate like gasoline.

There is no reason to drain the fuel from a 2
cycle motor, because the fuel is a mix of gas and
2-cycle oil and doesn't oxidize as rapidly as
straight gasoline. I have never drained the fuel
in my chainsaw and never had a problem. Usually
it would sit for about 6 months without being
started.

I drain the oil out drain the gas out then run it till it dies, sharpen
the blade, clean it up, put it in its case. It will start in 2 pulls
next time I need it.

Garage sink distance to vertical drain connection and venting DL Home Repair 3 April 9th 05 02:51 PM
Electric chainsaw chain Ken Moon Woodturning 9 April 8th 05 02:36 PM
Chainsaw oil Bill R Woodturning 29 April 2nd 05 04:57 AM
Drain hot water heating system for the winter? Tom B. Home Repair 9 October 11th 04 04:22 PM
SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER Gunner Metalworking 12 December 15th 03 06:11 AM