Harry K

Default Chainsaw: Drain Chain Lubricant Oil Out Over Winter ? (necessary to do ?)

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a new chainsaw that I imagine I won't be using any more until the
spring.
First time I've ever had one of these things.

I understand about draining the gas out so it doesn't become gummy over the
winter.

But, is it also a good idea to drain the chain oil lubricant out also, or
not really necessary ?

Thanks,
Bob

In addition to draining the gas, give the saw a good cleaning. Remove
all covers, remove the chain and bar, clean the bar grooves using the
depth gauge that should have come with the saw, blow out the
chips/crud, clean the air filter.. When putting the chain back on,
turn the bar over to even out wear, either sharpen the chain or have it
sharpened. That gets it ready for use in the spring. Just add
fuel/oil mix and go.

Harry K