Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toughened glass thickness opinion.....

I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps
and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when but
i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite flimsy in
the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than make
a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:38:50 +0100, R D S wrote:

I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps
and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when but
i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite flimsy in
the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than make
a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

If aesthetics aren't highly critical, could you do a sort of reverse
laminated effect by skinning the panes (on one side at least) with
some suitable transparent film?

The idea if they do 'go' for some reason at least the bits will stay
in one place?

Maybe some clear vinyl film as used for signs? Probably cheaper to
have the screen panes made up in thicker laminated glass ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps
and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when but
i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite flimsy in
the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than make
a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I assume that it is just screening against the wind and not to stop
someone falling over an edge?

At 5mm thickness and only 350mm wide, I'd say that's far more than good
enough - as long at the framing and clamps aren't moving around and
imposing any twisting loads. 4mm, un-toughened glass used to be normal
for pretty large, single-glazed windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps
and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when but
i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite flimsy in
the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than make
a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I'd say it would depend on the application. If your screen is also
protection against people falling through it (like round a roof terrace)
I'd likely take the advice of a decent glass supplier.

I have a custom made unit for the AV system. The base unit - effectively
three shelves of a table 1400 x 600 is made of 10mm toughened. What the
glass supplier recommended. It has legs at each corner.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade clamps
and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when but
i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite flimsy in
the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than make
a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I think it depends on the risk of harm if the glass breaks. So eg glass
to keep the wind off while you sup can be thinner than glass to stop
people falling down your well. But IIRC the building regs used* to
require only 6mm for 1400mm safety barriers so I'd have thought you'll
be OK with what you have for most purposes.

*"used" as that was in 2000 and things may have changed.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 14:46, Robin wrote:
On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade
clamps and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets). Should
the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and when
but i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite
flimsy in the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than
make a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I think it depends on the risk of harm if the glass breaks.Â* So eg glass
to keep the wind off while you sup can be thinner than glass to stop
people falling down your well.Â* But IIRC the building regs used* to
require only 6mm for 1400mm safety barriers so I'd have thought you'll
be OK with what you have for most purposes.

*"used" as that was in 2000 and things may have changed.

From memory glass ann building regs is mostly about falling *through *
a large panel and having your arteries shredded. The regs suggested two
different approaches - first to use toughened glass of a certain size,
or secondly to break the area up into panelets and/or use safety bars to
span the larger areas.

My single glazed french doors are formed of 3mm panes of 'agricultural'
glass, leaded together and feature two horizontal steel bars to
stabilise the lot and met 2000 regs

Id say for a modern look 6mm or maybe 10mm toughened is the answer.

6mm is bloody tough - needs a hammer to break it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade
clamps and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets).
Should the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as and
when but i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look quite
flimsy in the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than
make a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I think it depends on the risk of harm if the glass breaks.Â* So eg
glass to keep the wind off while you sup can be thinner than glass to
stop people falling down your well.Â* But IIRC the building regs used*
to require only 6mm for 1400mm safety barriers so I'd have thought
you'll be OK with what you have for most purposes.

*"used" as that was in 2000 and things may have changed.

From memory glass ann building regs is mostly about falling *through *
a large panel and having your arteries shredded. The regs suggested two
different approaches - first to use toughened glass of a certain size,
or secondly to break the area up into panelets and/or use safety bars to
span the larger areas.

I think also about falling /down/ (eg on stairs, walkways) or /into/
danger (eg machinery). Hence Approved Document K with reference to BS
6180 which has things like the span limit I mentioned.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
[...]

Â*From memory glass ann building regs is mostly about falling *through
* a large panel and having your arteries shredded. The regs suggested
two different approaches - first to use toughened glass of a certain
size, or secondly to break the area up into panelets and/or use safety
bars to span the larger areas.

I think also about falling /down/ (eg on stairs, walkways) or /into/
danger (eg machinery).Â* Hence Approved Document K with reference to BS
6180 which has things like the span limit I mentioned.

I'm not familiar with BS 6180 but IME "balcony" glazing especially if
not substantially protected by metalwork is invariably laminated rather
than toughened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
[...]

Probably - that wasn't relevant to my French doors :-)

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 14:27, Steve Walker wrote:
I assume that it is just screening against the wind and not to stop
someone falling over an edge?

It's at ground level, a cat enclosure.

At 5mm thickness and only 350mm wide, I'd say that's far more than good
enough - as long at the framing and clamps aren't moving around and
imposing any twisting loads. 4mm, un-toughened glass used to be normal
for pretty large, single-glazed windows.

Sounds like we'll be OK then. We get proper wind here though and there
is a bit of flex to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 13:38, R D S wrote:
I've screened off an outside area with a timber frame, balustrade
clamps and 5mm toughened glass. The stuff that shatters into cubes.

The panels are roughly 1600x350mm.

I had the glass already (recovered from some display cabinets).
Should the panes bust i'll replace them with something thicker as
and when but i'm just wondering what to expect from them, they look
quite flimsy in the wild!

I could test them of course, I have a couple spare, but rather than
make a mess I thought i'd invite opinion?

I think it depends on the risk of harm if the glass breaks.Â* So eg
glass to keep the wind off while you sup can be thinner than glass
to stop people falling down your well.Â* But IIRC the building regs
used* to require only 6mm for 1400mm safety barriers so I'd have
thought you'll be OK with what you have for most purposes.

*"used" as that was in 2000 and things may have changed.

Â*From memory glass ann building regs is mostly about falling *through
* a large panel and having your arteries shredded. The regs suggested
two different approaches - first to use toughened glass of a certain
size, or secondly to break the area up into panelets and/or use
safety bars to span the larger areas.

I think also about falling /down/ (eg on stairs, walkways) or /into/
danger (eg machinery).Â* Hence Approved Document K with reference to BS
6180 which has things like the span limit I mentioned.

I'm not familiar with BS 6180 but IME "balcony" glazing especially if
not substantially protected by metalwork is invariably laminated rather
than toughened.

I can well believe laminate is needed to provide containment in most
cases. But when planning a project that never happened in 2001
Pilkington reckoned toughened was OK if the free path to the barrier was
less than 1.5m. Again, things may have changed.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on whether you are going to get problems with the pressure changing
due to wind direction etc. I've seen or rather heard so called toughened
glass just bow a little too much and disintegrate due to the differential
pressures of wind loading on each side.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Toughened glass shelves NoSpam UK diy 31 March 15th 09 09:55 AM
Cost of toughened glass !!! [email protected] UK diy 5 July 25th 08 10:26 AM
Mysterious exploding toughened glass pane... WTF???!!! Lobster UK diy 36 June 3rd 07 07:56 PM
Cast toughened glass. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 7 June 20th 06 10:56 PM
Toughened glass Hands On UK diy 8 February 18th 05 12:49 PM