Junior Member

Default Toughened glass

I was told that all new houses require toughned glass on glass panel doors up to 80 Cm from the floor. Is that so? And when did this come in? How would I know if the glass is toughened, as I can't see a mark on the glass? It is a French doors type of door with 10 panes per dooor.

TIA
andrewpreece

--
Hands On

Look at it through polarising glasses?

Andy.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

andrewpreece wrote:

Look at it through polarising glasses?

But what if it's laminated?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Owain

"Hands On" wrote
| I was told that all new houses require toughned glass
| on glass panel doors up to 80 Cm from the floor.
| Is that so?

Applies to all new / replacement windows in old houses too.

| And when did this come in?

Several years ago.

| How would I know if the glass is toughened, as I can't
| see a mark on the glass? It is a French doors type of
| door with 10 panes per dooor.

There may be an exemption for small panes like that. I'm not sure.

Owain

Russell Smith

Also not necessary if the doors glazed in small panes not exceeding 250mm or
more than 0.5m2. (6mm glass normally)

Russ

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
.uk...
andrewpreece wrote:

Look at it through polarising glasses?

But what if it's laminated?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

The Natural Philosopher

Owain wrote:

"Hands On" wrote
| I was told that all new houses require toughned glass
| on glass panel doors up to 80 Cm from the floor.
| Is that so?

Applies to all new / replacement windows in old houses too.

| And when did this come in?

Several years ago.

| How would I know if the glass is toughened, as I can't
| see a mark on the glass? It is a French doors type of
| door with 10 panes per dooor.

There may be an exemption for small panes like that. I'm not sure.

Owain

Sadly not as my BCO pointed out.

3mm toughened even on leaded light french windows.
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:05:17 +0000, Hands On
wrote:

I was told that all new houses require toughned glass on glass panel
doors up to 80 Cm from the floor.

Are there any similar rules for internal glasswork, such as cupboard
doors ?
Tim S

wrote:

I was told that all new houses require toughned glass on glass panel
doors up to 80 Cm from the floor.

Are there any similar rules for internal glasswork, such as cupboard doors
?

I do hope not. Any more of this regulatory cr*p and I'll ignore all regs
and go back to relying on common sense.

*I* would use a stronger glass or plastic in any situation where a toddler
(yours or a visiting one) could be reasonably expected to head butt or run
straight into it. If you have a "special" room, with fine furniture and a
lockable door and you never intend to let said toddlers in there, then you
are fine, don't bother.

It's worth considering something a bit better than the cheapest of the
cheap for the upper panes to avoid the possibility of slamming door breaks
glass, massive shard fall off and stabs you in the foot.

Tim

brugnospamsia

Owain wrote:

"Hands On" wrote
| I was told that all new houses require toughned glass
| on glass panel doors up to 80 Cm from the floor.
| Is that so?

Applies to all new / replacement windows in old houses too.

| And when did this come in?

Several years ago.

| How would I know if the glass is toughened, as I can't
| see a mark on the glass? It is a French doors type of
| door with 10 panes per dooor.

There may be an exemption for small panes like that. I'm not sure.

Owain

Sadly not as my BCO pointed out.

Damn damn and triple damn !

Here I am, starting to plan my building notice application for a new
staircase and the two lovely new Pilkington K double glazed windows I will
be demonstrating to the man from the council as upstairs fire escapes are 4
foot wide and at knee height.

Would I have got away with it if I'd left in the original 3 or 4 mm panes I
wonder ....

Neither window installer who quoted for the job mentioned the need for
toughened glass .....

Jeremy

Glass, double strength - Cutting Help Jon Dogin Home Repair 18 February 21st 05 12:08 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
glass cutting for home office Stein Home Repair 7 December 4th 03 03:29 PM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM