Stein

Default glass cutting for home office

Hello,
I am looking to have 2' x 4' glass seperating the rooms of my
basement office, similiar to what I see in commercial settings. I have
located sheets of glass at a local used material outlet and I was
wondering what tool would I need to cut the glass down to 2' x 4'.
Also, is there a specific thickness for glass that is used in
commercial settings?

I have used a glass cutter in the past to cut small sized glass, but
what is used to cut bigger sized sheets of glass?

thanks,
Stein
Edwin Pawlowski

"Stein" wrote in message

Also, is there a specific thickness for glass that is used in
commercial settings?

Tempered would be my guess. Much safer if it breaks. Standard sheet glass is
outlawed for uses in storm doors because of the risk of injury. If you are
envisioning a "glass wall" you may want to do the same.
Ed

C G

Stein wrote:

Hello,
I am looking to have 2' x 4' glass seperating the rooms of my
basement office, similiar to what I see in commercial settings. I have
located sheets of glass at a local used material outlet and I was
wondering what tool would I need to cut the glass down to 2' x 4'.

Glass cutter, straight edge, tape measure, and square.
Michael Burr

Stein wrote:
Hello,
I am looking to have 2' x 4' glass seperating the rooms of my
basement office, similiar to what I see in commercial settings. I have
located sheets of glass at a local used material outlet and I was
wondering what tool would I need to cut the glass down to 2' x 4'.
Also, is there a specific thickness for glass that is used in
commercial settings?

Before you go too far with this concept you'ld better make sure
you'll comply with code. Code restricts where non-tempered
glass can be used - for instance not within certain distances
from doorways or certain distances from the floor for starters,
and there's probably more restictions as well.

Michael

EL

Cutting old glass is no fun. I'd suggest getting someone in the glass
business to do it. Is it located such that code will require the use of
tempered glass? Make sure the used material isn't tempered because you
can't cut tempered glass.

Boden

Stein wrote:

Hello,
I am looking to have 2' x 4' glass seperating the rooms of my
basement office, similiar to what I see in commercial settings. I have
located sheets of glass at a local used material outlet and I was
wondering what tool would I need to cut the glass down to 2' x 4'.
Also, is there a specific thickness for glass that is used in
commercial settings?

I have used a glass cutter in the past to cut small sized glass, but
what is used to cut bigger sized sheets of glass?

thanks,
Stein

Tom Baker

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message .com...
"Stein" wrote in message

Also, is there a specific thickness for glass that is used in
commercial settings?

Tempered would be my guess. Much safer if it breaks. Standard sheet glass is
outlawed for uses in storm doors because of the risk of injury. If you are
envisioning a "glass wall" you may want to do the same.
Ed

Agreed.
Building Code specifies distance above floor, distance from door and
such for non tempered glass.
I would be very careful about using window glass in this priject.

TB
Charles Spitzer

"C G" wrote in message
news
Stein wrote:

Hello,
I am looking to have 2' x 4' glass seperating the rooms of my
basement office, similiar to what I see in commercial settings. I have
located sheets of glass at a local used material outlet and I was
wondering what tool would I need to cut the glass down to 2' x 4'.

Glass cutter, straight edge, tape measure, and square.

thicker glass requires a different cutter head than normal window glass, and
typically a different kind of breaking tool. the angle of the bevel on the
cutter wheel is different, unless one is using a diamond cutter.